Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Vicky
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and my 7 month old golden retriever puppy was diagnosed as congenital kidney disease.
He has BUN 66 and creatinine 3.7.
He takes Azodyl, phosphate binder, and Fortekor.
He eats K/D support dry kibble, and SubQ twice a week.
In addition to the above treatments, now I'm thinking about giving him some herb treatment.
Did anyone try hilton herb KD Solution?
Did it work?

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum! FWIW, I'm pretty holistic, but I wouldn't mess around with herbs without some veterinary guidance, especially if he's already on other medications. You'd be better off working with a holistic vet who actually has training in Chinese Herbal Medicine. You can use this website to find a holistic vet near you: VetFinder – Find a Holistic Veterinarian – American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association

You may also be interested in the information about kidney disease that is at a website called "Dog Aware."

·
Registered
944 Posts
FWIW, I'm pretty holistic, but I wouldn't mess around with herbs without some veterinary guidance, especially if he's already on other medications.
I have to echo this sentiment. Our golden (Kona) was just diagnosed with renal dysplasia, so only one functioning kidney. We are working closely with the veterinarian on how best to help her live a "normal life". This includes possible diet modifications, as well as additional monitoring over the next year to see how things progress. I would not think of doing something without at least consulting our veterinarian. If that's, for whatever reason, not an option for you, then it's time to find a new veterinarian.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and my 7 month old golden retriever puppy was diagnosed as congenital kidney disease.
He has BUN 66 and creatinine 3.7.
He takes Azodyl, phosphate binder, and Fortekor.
He eats K/D support dry kibble, and SubQ twice a week.
In addition to the above treatments, now I'm thinking about giving him some herb treatment.
Did anyone try hilton herb KD Solution?
Did it work?
I'm so sorry to hear that. I am in a similar situation, having a puppy born with renal dysplasia. The only treatment we've tried that you haven't mentioned yet is stem cell therapy, which was suggested by our internist. It can add 1-2 years to your pup if successful and so might be worth if if you're comfortable financially (it is quite expensive as far as veterinary treatments go).

·
Registered
Vicky
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply! It would be very helpful for me and my puppy!
Ok, my vet is not a holistic vet, so I will find someone near me.
"VetFinder" is great! I didn't expect that I can search for a holistic vet worldwide. Thank you so much.
And I read "Dog Aware" ! It would be very helpful for me!
Thank you again!

·
Registered
Vicky
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm so sorry to hear that. I am in a similar situation, having a puppy born with renal dysplasia. The only treatment we've tried that you haven't mentioned yet is stem cell therapy, which was suggested by our internist. It can add 1-2 years to your pup if successful and so might be worth if if you're comfortable financially (it is quite expensive as far as veterinary treatments go).
Thank you for your reply!
I heard about stem cell therapy.
Did you try it? Did it work?
We will have a detailed examination in a university hospital net week, so I will ask for my vet about stem cell therapy.

I hope your puppy lives healthy and longer!
By the way, your kimono photo is nice!

·
Registered
Vicky
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to echo this sentiment. Our golden (Kona) was just diagnosed with renal dysplasia, so only one functioning kidney. We are working closely with the veterinarian on how best to help her live a "normal life". This includes possible diet modifications, as well as additional monitoring over the next year to see how things progress. I would not think of doing something without at least consulting our veterinarian. If that's, for whatever reason, not an option for you, then it's time to find a new veterinarian.
My vet does not seem to be interested in holistic treatment:( And I live in a rural area so I have no chance to find a new vet.
But he is a flexible person so I will ask him about holistic treatment!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I heard about stem cell therapy.
Did you try it? Did it work?
We will have a detailed examination in a university hospital net week, so I will ask for my vet about stem cell therapy.

By the way, your kimono photo is nice!
I'm not sure. It's not something that cures your pet, but helps in delaying the progression of CKD. She's still with me, but whether that's due to the stem cell therapy or one of the other treatments... Who knows?

·
Registered
Vicky
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure. It's not something that cures your pet, but helps in delaying the progression of CKD. She's still with me, but whether that's due to the stem cell therapy or one of the other treatments... Who knows?
May I ask one more question?
Did you use stem cells of your dog? or other healthy dog?

·
Registered
39 Posts
May I ask one more question?
Did you use stem cells of your dog? or other healthy dog?
This is definitely a question for your internist. I had complete faith in mine, which is why I basically was willing to do anything she said. But I think what happened was that during Kira's spay, they removed some extra fat tissue that was used to culture stem cells. Two days later, she went under anesthesia again to get the stem cells directly injected into her renal artery so that her kidneys could get "first pick" at them. Since then, they are administered via IV fluids, since putting her under anesthesia again is too risky (according to the internist). But again, the exact process will depend on what your vet has done and is familiar with.

·
Registered
Vicky
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is definitely a question for your internist. I had complete faith in mine, which is why I basically was willing to do anything she said. But I think what happened was that during Kira's spay, they removed some extra fat tissue that was used to culture stem cells. Two days later, she went under anesthesia again to get the stem cells directly injected into her renal artery so that her kidneys could get "first pick" at them. Since then, they are administered via IV fluids, since putting her under anesthesia again is too risky (according to the internist). But again, the exact process will depend on what your vet has done and is familiar with.
Thanks a lot for your detailed and quick response!!
I know I should ask my vet, but I just wanted to collect much information as much as possible cuz I think stem cell therapy for puppy with CKD is not yet popular in Japan.

Thank you again. Your information will be very helpful for my puppy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts