Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My precious golden "Sunny" (5 years old next week) suddenly developed a lump a couple of weeks ago on his hind quarter. We were in the next week for his annual exam and at first the vet thought it was probably a fatty tumor but they took him in back to biopsy "just in case" when they opened it, it appeared to be a fluid filled cyst. They took a biopsy from the bottom of the area but felt it wasn't anything to worry about...

Today I got the call from the vet that it is Hemangiosarconoma... My husband, kids and I are devastated..

Sunny is going back to the vet on Friday for an ultrasound to determine if organs are involved or not, etc...

What should we be expecting for prognosis?? How much time are people seeing they have left with their precious friend??

He doesn't act sick, he's running around and chasing the kids and chasing squirrels in the yard...any info is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry....

First, get the diagnostics done ASAP-blood work, x-rays, and most importantly a sonogram. A sonogram is very helpful in determining possible organ involvement.

Ask your vet what kind of hemangiosarcoma: is it splenetic or is it cutaneous? I hope and pray that it is cutaneous because the prognosis is better with the cutaneous form. Prognosis for hemangiosarcoma is poor if it's in internal organs. Splenectomy might help give you more time if no other major organs are involved, but if it's invaded other major organs, then survival times are greatly reduced.

It really all depends on what the diagnostic tests show. Your dog might be a candidate for chemotherapy. The drug used for our Barkley, doxyrubicin, is generally well tolerated by dogs with few side effects. Barkley had splenetic hemangio, with no other major organ involvement. We got 107 good quality days with him before we released him from the cancer. By quality, I mean days of good appetite, energy, long walks and happiness.

I'm really so sorry. 5 is much too young for this horrific cancer. HUGs to you and your family. :(

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
What a shock this has been for your family. I hope it is the cutaneous kind if it has a better prognosis.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I am so sorry to hear the diagnosis.

My Lucy lost her fight against this terrible disease 3 months ago.

I am keeping you all in my prayers.

Hugs and kisses.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Hopefullly, since you caught it so early it has not spread.

Good thoughts and hugs for you.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm so sorry you got this diagnosis!! 5 is so young. Will send positive thoughts and prayers that it is cutaneous and you have more quality time with your Sunny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts