Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently joined this site after my dog passed away from hemangiosarcoma at eight years old. My mom and I live in Lake Tahoe, and we frequently took our pup for swim time in the lake. To give you a timeline, on Thursday he walked three miles with us and swam for quite some time. On Friday, he slipped on our front porch when taking his nightly potty break and was completely splayed out. We were so confused as to how this happened, but we helped him up and walked him inside and he began shaking and immediately laid down. We thought he had injured his back legs/hips from the direction they were stretched during his fall, so we watched and iced his legs, but Sunday morning he was vomiting up all food he ate Saturday evening and had terrible diarrhea. We took him to UC Davis emergency Sunday morning and he was put in the ICU where they removed 250cc of blood from around his heart, inside his pericardial sac. He was then diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma (she thought it came on within the last month), and the vet told us we should put him down that evening as it was just a matter of time. We couldn't bring ourselves to do that as we wanted the few days extra we would have after this procedure and took him home to Tahoe where he would be comfortable and happy.
I have my bachelor's degree in Neuroscience and am currently in a master's program for Nutrition where I am writing my thesis on Chaga mushroom extract and its ability to reduce tumor size and metastases in non-small cell lung cancer (I am pre-med). I read up on how it can reduce tumor vascularization, and it decreases CD31 expressing cells, where CD31 is known to be expressed in sarcomas. Knowing this information, we decided to give our dog Chaga mushroom extract (from Moon Juice, 3g or 3,000mg extract per 1tbsp dose), and we used the mice model study for dosing where they gave 6 mg/kg per day (this resulted in a small amount). He liked the taste (we sprinkled on baked salmon though, so what's not to like!) and he seriously seemed to do better. He was panting less, his gums and his tongue pinkened up, and he was wanting to go for walks as his energy was up (we were told not to do this because of the strain on his heart, so we only took him around the block). He was even pooping normally! It was seriously so nice to see him this way, especially after his diagnosis. He remained happy, and on Thursday he even ran up the stairs (he was not supposed to do this - he did this entirely on his own and it was so sudden we couldn't stop him before it happened), pooped as normal, and exhibited normal behavior. We were truly shocked when Friday at 2 am he woke me up and said his last goodbyes before he quickly passed. Even though it seemed his heart was better, there was bloating in his stomach, so we assume it was blood from the hemangiosarcoma and something must have ruptured. Long story short, I think had we had more time for the Chaga to work its magic, he could have gotten better. We only tried this because we knew it was only a matter of time so there was little risk, so obviously, take this with a grain of salt. It is worth noting that the mice study performed transplanted cancer to mice, and the treatment group was given 3 weeks of Chaga extract prior to tumor transplantation, so I think there could be even better luck with preemptive treatment. I really hope they look into this as a novel treatment, since it is easy to give, has no side effects, and is safe. They have done studies with Turkey Tail mushroom, so this is something to look into as well. I hope this story can help someone else. It is just devastating that Goldens are so susceptible to hemangiosarcoma. I have attached the mice model study.
They have also done many in-vitro human cell studies, so it works on people too! Definitely worth taking if you are looking to ward off cancer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,511 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss and thanks for the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Special thanks for sharing such a valuable information while grieving your loss.I wish you had more time.I will carefully read it and contact you if further suggestions are needed.Condolences and thank you again for being a hope
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I'm very sorry. I believe we lost our golden to this March 25th, right after Wisconsin started the stay at home orders. We had to have her cremated before anything could be investigated. She went very quickly. I'm interested in your studies and hope that something will become available to help prevent this disease. It seems to me that it often presents itself too late. Maybe not always, but in our case it most certainly did.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top