Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mandy's Home
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mandy's pads on her paws are so dry and appear to need something put on them to make them better. Anyone have any suggestions? She is kept indoors and plays out in our yard. She is just 10 months old. She will most likely lick anything I try and I am not sure what would be okay.

·
3 goldens
11,789 Posts
My girls feet are awfully rough at the moment. They and Buck are also mostly indoor dogs and our back yard is sand and grass, so i don't know why so rough unless dry. I will be looking to see if anyone has a good idea. Only thing i can think of is like aloe vera gel, then place a sock on each foot and tape the sock (not to the fur, tho) above the foot. i would like both front ones and then after a while take the sox off and do the back ones. Outside of that, i don't have a clue.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've used bag balm before on mine do to cracks.

Gosh, I could use some of that wax here now OW, outside the door now is nothing but pure ice. I've salted it down, but the rain pushes it off and freezes again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dogs will lick whatever you use. My male cut his paw open a few weeks back and I had to change dressings, wrap with a plastic bag to keep it dry(we have snow/rain/ice in MN) and use a collar so he would not lick the wound which had 3-staples applied. Well, the collar was easily bent for licking, bandage was ripped off more times than one can count, and nothing was used on the wound. Unless the dogs paws are bleeding raw, I would not apply a thing. If you have salty roads, rinse the paws after walking, wipe dry, and let 'em lick.

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
I will seconded the Bag Balm... its pure lanolin and yes, your dog will try to lick it off. Slather some on and try to rub it into the pads before you let the licking start... it does get absorbed into the pad pretty quickly though. Also make sure your dog is getting an adequate amount of zinc in her diet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts