Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Sam is 6 months old. we had him since he was 9 weeks. Well last night,he peed in his crate,I tried to get him out. He just kept on growling at me! So i left his door open,he still didnt want to come out. So i tired about ten minutes later. He started growling even more,but this time louder,and he started barking so loud!! So loud that the neighbors even called the police! He always does this growling and barking at me! he is never like this towards my husband. And no we do not hit him or yell at him when he goes in the house. This has been stressing me out! Please help

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Juju

I think SAM is trying to control you by the growling and barking.
If he behaves better for your husband then can your Husband get him out of the crate?
When you were trying to get him out of the crate were you raising your voice or saying bad boy?
He might have known he was in trouble and that's why he didn't come out.
I'm sure there's some pointers on this if you Google.
Hoping someone who is more experienced than I answers this!!1

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
If you have had him checked by the vet for any physical issues and there are none, then I would seriously look into obedience training. I think both you and your husband should go to the class. Be sure to work with a good positive based trainer. Maybe you can improve how you approach Sam through a trainer who will watch you interact with your puppy and give you help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No like i said in the post above we dont yell at him when he goes in the house or his crate,and my husband was not home. But thanks for the advice! i'll look it up more on google.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
juju

JUJU

I also agree with what buckeyegoldenmom said.
Make sure and have him checked at the vet that the peeing is nothing physical and then get him signed up for a positive reinforcement obedience class that you both go to with SAM, but if you are home more than your husband it is prob. a good idea that you lead him through the class.

HERE'S AN INTERESTING CAESAR MILAN VIDEO I FOUND

http://help.com/post/99716-my-dog-growls-at-me

IT'S about the eighth message down.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
JuJu

See the link I posted above-the Caesar Milan video.
Feb. is too far away. Where you live one of the Humane Societies must have obedience classes or your vet should know of one.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I second what Karen has to say--February is practically 4 months away--by then, you're dealing with a golden that is now going to be what age--10 months? Stronger, bigger--and if he's challenging you now at 6 months, I can't see how 4 months is going to make the problem go away.

Also, is he still having accidents in the house? You said you don't yell at him when he goes in the house or in his crate. If he's still having accidents in the house at 6 months, and there's no medical problem, you need to start back at square one regarding house training. But if you haven't had him checked out, then I would do so and rule that out first.

Good luck, and yes, use all resources--your vet, the local golden retriever club or all breed club--anything--to find a trainer or training class that you and your golden can hook up with.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I think its odd he's peeing in his crate and wants to stay there. I would take him to the vet. Is that common for him?

I don't "allow" barking and growling at me...meaning Lucky knew that was unappropriate. But sometimes when its purely reactive the positive approach definately was better then trying to be "top dog".

If it were me, and Lucky was in his crate growling...such a standoff situation that is impossible for me to "win"....I'd use the reward (feel good) technique to get him out.

If you had something lushious and yummy in hand, called him out and used reward and praise this would help him react differently in future situations.

I know when Lucky growled at me around his food bowl...and I sent him away and took his food bowl...he barked and went nuts in the corner. But using food and rewards to treat him as he was eating, helped him see I wasn't a threat.....did wonders.

Good luck...I know 6 months is an unstable and hard age.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I am so sorry you are going through this. This aggression plus peeing in his crate at 6 months sounds like something else is going on. Has he been checked out by a vet? Was Sam bought from a breeder? Can you contact them?

I remember you previous posts, and looked back. You're in Germany (Army), right? I lived in Germany for 8 yrs. (Air Force). So I know the problem waiting for a Base class, (in anything!) to open up. Are you using a base vet? Possibly he could give you some guidance.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
If you want him to come out of his crate, use a favorite treat and a high pitched fun voice to make him want to come to you. Maybe he is in pain from an urinary tract infection and that is making him growl. I know when I get them I am hurting too.

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
As others have said. You really can't wait till Feb. You need to do something now. I understand you are military and in Germany. I grew up in the Air Force and in England for most of my youth. Call your vet....call the trainer of the class you can't get into....call the local golden retriever club. Truly you need to do something and get help. It will only get worse if you don't learn how to handle this. If you are the one at home ...you need to be able to care for Sam without being afraid or bullied by him. If you have made sure with the vet that he doesn't have any physical issues...then you need training help and the sooner the better.

Sorry if I sound too pushy. I just think you need to move now and not try to wait it out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Willow52 yes I live on an Army Base in Germany. The day I found out about the classes on base,it was already too late to sign up. So the next one is not until Feb. I didn't really think of how long Feb. would be until I read everyone's post here. We have been to the vet and they said he is fine. And Karen 519 I will watch that video. He will get bigger and stronger. I'm about 5'1 and I don't want to get attacked lol. My husband would be the one to deal with him but he works. And another thing I wanted to ask you guys,the vet over here has a waiting list,for all the animals that need to get spayed and neutered. We can't put SAM'S name on it,not until they are done with all those animals,and they said that will take about 6 months! Do you guys think he will be more aggressive if he does not get neutered soon??

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Buckleygoldenmom,Thanks. and no you don't sound too pushy. I do need to do something about this. I will be calling up places and the vet also,and make another appointment too. I would call the local Golden Retriever Club but it is off Base and every one speaks German. I do know some German but not that much to understand what I need to do. Thanks again!

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
Yes keep trying. If you can call the trainer of the Feb class on base...maybe he or she can offer another a suggestion of someone to help you. Especially if you explain the problems you are having. Sometimes they want to evaluate dogs that might have issues with other dogs and people separately from the basic first class.

Even if you struggle trying to find someone who speaks enough english to converse with you...keep trying. Who knows there could be someone that could help...and knows English. I am always amazed when I travel the number of people in other countries that speak English. Especially if they see you need help and are trying to converse with them in their native language.

Maybe the trainer on base, or vet, or others with pets on base might have someone they could refer you to.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Where in Germany are you? I lived near Kaiserslautern for 4 years and went to an off-base vet & the docs all spoke English they also accepted the VAT form so the prices were comparable to the states. I wasnt' impressed with the on-post (Army) vet staff. Do you have a Family Support Center or something similar? They usually have German staff that can assist you in finding help on the local economy. As for the language barrier, keep working on the German, but the Germans do teach English in their school curriculum...after you fumble through enough broken German, they may transition the conversation to English (but you have to make the effort). Good Luck!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
JuJu

The girl who lived in Germany i'm sure has more leads than me.
I would try to get him fixed asap. Pretty sure that neutering him will make him better.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was just sifting through older puppy posts and I found this.
JuJu, could Sam's behavior been related to an undiagnosed illness? As I have posted a few times.... I am truley sorry for your loss of Sam.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was just sifting through older puppy posts and I found this.
JuJu, could Sam's behavior been related to an undiagnosed illness? As I have posted a few times.... I am truley sorry for your loss of Sam.
No i just think he was a stubborn puppy. He did get so much better with everything else that I posted I had problems with,he was a good puppy. I guess patience and training is what it took and it worked. and thanks again =(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts