Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’m hoping to go next year as well! Maybe we can meet in person!
That would be nice! I actually met a member from here at the show.

Decided we are going to attempt a trial July 14 in NJ that isn’t too far for intermediate. We did the Intermediate/Advance class but only thing Stella doesn’t like is jump- so we will be waiting a while for Advance! Lol. Apparently her aunt doesn’t like the jump either! However, Miss I don’t like jumps jumped onto the couch from the backside of the couch on Friday at my friends!!!!! 😱

·
Registered
450 Posts
Congrats on doing so well at your first trial!

The only way to get scores that I know is to pay for a $15 report on your dog from AKC. You can look up number of Qs and titles for free, but not scores for some reason. I have a note on my phone where I type in scores immediately after a run so I don't forget, and then I go home and update my spreadsheet. Scores matter a lot more when you start chasing a RACH or OTCH (now that you get 1 point for all scores over 197).
Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm somewhat new to obedience-I showed my first golden, Autumn, in 4-H and loved it-she won everything we ever entered at county level and always qualified for state where she never did worse than 5th (out of like 30-40 dogs!) She made it to a level that would have been somewhere between AKC Novice and Open levels (had drop on recall, and sits and downs with handler out of sight, but no jumps or retrieves). So when I got my April, I wanted to show her in AKC obedience. I showed her to her CD title when she was a year old. She scored 197 at all three trials! So how does OTCH work? Do April's scores mean she has points toward that?? (She got those scores back when she was 1 though and she is now 8.) I stopped doing obedience competition because I became a mom. I want to get back into it someday though!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
. . . So how does OTCH work? Do April's scores mean she has points toward that?? (She got those scores back when she was 1 though and she is now 8.) . . .

There's a reason that there aren't that many OTCHs and an OTCH is highly regarded by those interested in obedience. From the AKC Obedience Regulations:

CHAPTER 8 - OBEDIENCE TRIAL CHAMPIONSHIP
Section 2. Championship Points.
Obedience Trial Championship points will be recorded for those dogs that have earned a first, second, third or fourth place ribbon competing in the Open B or Utility B class, according to the schedule of points established by the AKC Board of Directors. When counting the number of eligible dogs in competition, a dog that is disqualified or excused from the ring by the judge will not be included. One (1) Championship point will be recorded for those dogs that earn a qualifying score of 197 or better in the Open B or Utility B class, if they did not earn points based on the Point Schedule.
Requirements for the Obedience Trial Champion are as follows:
The dog must have won
1.100 points
2.A first place in Utility B with at least three dogs in competition
3.A first place in Open B with at least five dogs in competition
4.An additional first place under the conditions of 2 or 3 above
5.All three first places under three different judges
Only one of the required first places may have been won at a specialty Showor a Junior Obedience Showcase.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
The OTCh title is similar to the CH title in that points are awarded by dogs beaten for the most part.

In my area, as a general rule, you have a decent chance of earning a placement with 198 or 199 scores. Points awarded for OTCh are based on dogs entered in the class ... I think they have also added you can win a point for high scores (197) without a placement.

You need a UD before you start accumulating points (although if you win your title and also are in the Open B class that day you are eligible for the OB points) and you need to compete in then Open B and Utility B classes.

There are a few other titles you can earn while competing in the B classes that are based on consistency (UDX; you qualified in both OB & UB) and scores alone (OM).

The OTCh is truly a noble goal. It could be costly or it could take few trials depending on how well you do and what the teams in your area tend to score.

·
Maegan
428 Posts
Sorry, that post was a tad misleading. As others have said, you can only earn points toward an OTCH from the Open B and Utility B classes. High scores in Novice don't count toward that, however you can win "Highest Scoring Dog in Trial" (AKA High in Trial or HIT) from Novice - it's rare, but it happens and you get a nice blue and gold ribbon/rosette.

The main difference between the OTCH and the RACH is that the OTCH is competitive - meaning you must beat other dogs to get points toward the title. The new rule allowing 1 OTCH point for scores greater than or equal to 197 in Open B and Utility B IF They didn't earn points from placements doesn't come into effect until August 1, 2019.

For a RACH (Rally Champion), you must complete Triple Qs in Advanced B, Excellent B, and Master at the same trial 20 times AND earn 300 points for scores 91 and above with 150 of the 300 points coming from the Master class. You don't have to beat other dogs to get these points.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Huge congrats on the scores & title :)

What I do for scoring is take a pic on my phone of the scoring sheet -- for rally the score board, for obedience the posted scoring sheet. Then the scores are entered into a spreadsheet.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts