Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH took my parents chocolate lab to the dog park on Saturday. Another dog bit Brodie on the face. A small gash..
Long story short, Brodie hasn't had an appetite since that evening. :uhoh:

Please tell me that it's most likely not related to the gash......

·
I <3 Goldens
487 Posts
i agree with oakly, sounds like he is bothered by what happened. A vet visit for the gash would be good, but it's just going to take a little time for him to come around.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with everyone. A vet visit sounds like it is the best. It might be something on the inside of his mouth bothering him. Good luck and hopefully he will be ok. Poor guy, give him a kiss on his nose from me.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Our oldest Golden, Marty, was bit by a Doberman at the dog park just below the ear when he was around 7 months old. I heard him cry out like nothing I have ever heard before. I then noticed him limping. Then while looking closer I found the wound. The owner of the other dog exited the park just as quickly as it happened. I have never seen her or her dog since then.

I took Marty to the vet who looked at his legs and hips, gave us something to put on the wound and said he could be a little shook up from the incident. I was most worried about the affect the bite would have on him. He was very quiet (somewhat like he was after being neutered) for two or three days. When I took him back to the park, he was cautious for at least a month. He would look back to me seeking reassurance when entering the park and getting back into the group of dogs.

This was a very upsetting experience for me and I am so sorry it happened to you. I know your concern. I was so careful after the incident to make sure all his interactions were positive with other dogs - - - not so easy to try to control that. I went as far as to tell other owners that he had been bit as I would try to curtail attempts at rough play. I am sure some of them thought I was overreacting - - - but there were others who shared similar experiences - - - especially those who had younger dogs.

Marty has recovered but I am so much more cautious about who he plays with and how play is defined. He is back to his outgoing sweet self and seems to have regained his confidence. I think we are both more observant of the body language of other dogs.

I hope this helps.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Poor guy. Hope he feels better, the bite's not serious, and he gets his sense of security back. Maybe his mouth is tender. Does he try to eat and cannot or does he avoid food altogether? If he's avoiding it, sounds like his mood has upset his tummy. I lose my appetite when I'm sad or scared.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only way he's eating is if they put something else in it. I think they've put some Karo syrup in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts