Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Piper had a tick!!!!!!! Eww!! :yuck: . she got a vaccine (I think) but it still bit her--there was blood around the tick. Will she get sick? Did the vaccine work????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Every once in awhile we found one on jake. I don't know if it was the kind that causes Lyme disease. I don't believe he had any vacinations for Lyme. He never got sick. You just take it off.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
was it dead?
Every now and again I pull them off Max - he gets the vaccine, he's fine. If you're worried, you can have her tested, I believe.
But don't freak - ticks happen! They are evil and must be destroyed, but they happen!

·
Desert Dweller Goldens
463 Posts
I've never heard of a vaccinations for ticks, but apparently they do...thank you google.
I wouldn't worry about it ticks on dogs is a natural thing, I just pull them out and burn em..just make sure you get the head...Your also in NC...tick heaven.

From the Humane Society:
If you're using tweezers:
Grasp the tick as close to your dog's skin as possible, but be gentle! Try not to pinch your dog's skin.
Pull outward in a straight, steady motion, making sure that you've removed the entire tick, since anything left behind could lead to an infection

I've heard if you get a cotton ball and soak it in either vinegar or alcohol and put it on the tic that it'll back out but I've never tried it, not sure about that one perhaps someone else will clarify that one.

I'd also make sure there aren't more and see if you can find out where Piper got it...you may have a problem in your house...hopefully not.

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
Big, oval and sort of beige or small and dark?

There are several varieties of ticks that feed on dogs and most aren't disease transmitters and even if they are, if they're removed fairly promptly they don't have time to transmit the disease.

You might want to keep a photo of it just in case she starts having symptoms but the odds are in your favor. Was she wearing flea/tick preventative? In the spring (I laugh, bitterly) I occasionally find dead ticks on my dogs that attached and then died before feeding.

The only good tick is a dead tick!

Reactions: The life of Piper

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
Oh gag. I hate ticks. You can also cover them in vaseline/petroleum jelly and they'll fall off within a few hours. Flush that thing down the toilet or cut it with a knife - ticks have tough shells so you can't just step on them to kill them. Still gagging.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Oh gag. I hate ticks. You can also cover them in vaseline/petroleum jelly and they'll fall off within a few hours. Flush that thing down the toilet or cut it with a knife - ticks have tough shells so you can't just step on them to kill them. Still gagging.
We have this big old orange rubber hammer that I use to smash them. And I sing 'bang bang big old orange hammer came down upon your head, doo doo doo doo!" I hate ticks

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I've never heard of a vaccinations for ticks, but apparently they do...thank you google.
I wouldn't worry about it ticks on dogs is a natural thing, I just pull them out and burn em..just make sure you get the head...Your also in NC...tick heaven.

From the Humane Society:
If you're using tweezers:
Grasp the tick as close to your dog's skin as possible, but be gentle! Try not to pinch your dog's skin.
Pull outward in a straight, steady motion, making sure that you've removed the entire tick, since anything left behind could lead to an infection

I've heard if you get a cotton ball and soak it in either vinegar or alcohol and put it on the tic that it'll back out but I've never tried it, not sure about that one perhaps someone else will clarify that one.

I'd also make sure there aren't more and see if you can find out where Piper got it...you may have a problem in your house...hopefully not.
Ticks carry lyme disease. They are evil, pure and simple.

·
Desert Dweller Goldens
463 Posts
You can also cover them in vaseline/petroleum jelly
That's it.

@la Not every tick carries it, like not every bat carries rabies or every mosquito carries west nile virus . I wouldn't worry about it every time my dog got a tick though. If my dog was getting ticks, I'd be more worried that there might be an infestation in mine and my dogs environment and eradicate it best as possible.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
@la Not every tick carries it, like not every bat carries rabies or every mosquito carries west nile virus . I wouldn't worry about it every time my dog got a tick though. If my dog was getting ticks, I'd be more worried that there might be an infestation in mine and my dogs environment and eradicate it best as possible.
I live in the woods
If you can find a way to eradicate ticks in the woods and in the fields surrounding us, I'd love to hear about it
Do I freak out every time I pull one off Max? No, I'd be at the vet's office every day during the Spring, Summer, Fall and part of the Winter. I am, however, aware that deer ticks carry Lyme disease. I also like to watch the deer frolic in my front yard. Max gets vaccinated for Lyme - it's not 100% effective, but it's better than nothing. And I kill every evil tick I see.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
We switched to Bravecto - Max has had his second dose so far. I did notice a tick crawling on his leg (I sent that bugger home to Jesus) but there's no way to keep them totally off him (see earlier post). I haven't seen any attached to him in months - but it's been freeze your hiney cold here, too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You guys made me giggle! Where I live, the spring and fall are full of the bad deer and bear ticks, and when my horses were still alive I was pulling dozens off them a day! I have my dog's vaccinated against Lymes, but even then they can get it but not so bad. I use Frontline or Vectra in March and then again in September, and just check my dogs and pull ticks off daily if they get them. All my dogs and even I have been treated for Lymes, and part of life in Wisconsin if you want to enjoy the outdoors. :(

·
Millie's Dad, Chris
1,343 Posts
We have paralysis ticks in Australia. One tick can kill a much loved furbaby and often does. For us ticks are a massive concern

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
We have paralysis ticks in Australia. One tick can kill a much loved furbaby and often does. For us ticks are a massive concern
Why does this not surprise me! Australia has the deadliest everything:confused:! I would still love to go sometime though:wavey:

Reactions: Chritty

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
You guys made me giggle! Where I live, the spring and fall are full of the bad deer and bear ticks, and when my horses were still alive I was pulling dozens off them a day! I have my dog's vaccinated against Lymes, but even then they can get it but not so bad. I use Frontline or Vectra in March and then again in September, and just check my dogs and pull ticks off daily if they get them. All my dogs and even I have been treated for Lymes, and part of life in Wisconsin if you want to enjoy the outdoors. :(
Here in PA, too.
I was convinced (coerced) into going to the doctor after a tick bite, and he didn't even test me, just gave me meds. He said it's so prevalent here, it's crazy.

Frontline and K9Advantix both stopped working here. :(

And yeah, the first couple times you see a fully engorged tick (or even better, pet one, EWWWWWWWWW) you freak - and then it becomes, "yup, took a dozen off today!"

·
Desert Dweller Goldens
463 Posts
I didn't know ticks were that bad in different parts of the world. Here in the hot dry desert we have ticks but rarely too many. I guess if you live in the woods, it's what you signed up for aya?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Frontline and K9Advantix both stopped working here. :(

On my dogs too so I'm using Vectra. Is working very well for now and it doesn't make them sick like Frontline did.

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
I hate those little 'buggers'! My 8 yr. old boy almost died from a tick infection. They never were able to determine what it was, just a tick related disease. He tested negative when he first got sick. So they did every test in the book, he was in severe pain (joints), we had to run him out one night to an emergency pet hospital as we thought we were losing him. Over all we paid $4,000 plus to find nothing out...

Finally, one of those doctors in the emergency clinic, said let's treat him for a Tic disease anyway and started him on Doxy! In 3 days he was almost normal. That was over 5 years ago, he has had 2 relapses, which we treated again with Doxy....and Waal-Laah he was ok again. Scary stuff...not to mention the cost and pain to our dog. And yes we did change vets...

One tool I found was with Duluth Trading, on line catalog. They sell a small tool made to take out Tics. Easy to use and works like a charm, check them out on line. I have one attached to my key ring and one in our dog first aid kit.

Good luck to all,

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oh my gosh, this whole posting scares me. I got Comet at the end of August (2014) and he was so darn little, we didn't venture out much. It got so cold here in Michigan, so quickly, that I never even thought about ticks. This may seem like a really stupid question, but do I need to check Comets fur every time we go for a walk on something other than the road? And will I see it or do I need to section through his layers of fur? I've never had a dog with long fur before and I'm starting to worry I would miss finding a tick.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts