Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok yesterday DH and I took Teddi and Belle to the park for some retrieve work. First of all it was dark by the time we got there. We did try to play under lights but the result of working during the day is we play with the dogs in the dark. That being said, Teddi was dead on her marks! DH threw her bumper, she watched, sat steady, and then when I said 'go', she ran straight to her target. Belle didn't seem to watch the mark, she seemed to be watching me, but when released she ran to her mark to. A couple times DH convinced me to throw under the light but the distance was much further that we should have done in the dark and Belle though she really tried could not find those marks.

The return is the issue with Teddi. :( She does turn and start to bring it right back to you, but she stops at least 12' away drops the bumper and goes sniffing. I tried calling her, squatting and encouraging her, I had treats and I would hold those out. If I held out the treat, she would still drop the bumper but then come straight to me. My intention for the treats was to treat her when she brought the bumper all the way in, and then again for the "finish" (she has that command down pat after one lesson). She is smart. How do I get her to come to me with the bumper? I don't care for now if she drops it at my feet, just bring it all the way in.

Ann

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Do you spend with her on 6' leash carrying objects doing 'call-to-front's?

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I think you need to start with much, much shorter retrieves! You can't expect distance until she's 100% on the shorter ones!

·
Registered
986 Posts
The return is the issue with Teddi. :( She does turn and start to bring it right back to you, but she stops at least 12' away drops the bumper and goes sniffing.

Ann
Ann,

How old is Teddi?

EvanG

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I would also not use treats for retrieving, it will encourage them to drop the bumper in anticipation of getting a treat. And yes, start with shorter marks.

You should also break down the exercises, if she is not 100% on the recalls, work on those seperate from the marking.

Keep asking questions, that's how we learn!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
You could try working lots of fronts with an object and treating each time, till she gets the idea that you want to trade the item for a treat. Sitting can help so that the dumbell falls on your lap instead of the floor, then back it up a bit at a time.

I taught a dobe who didn't retrieve at all to be a very happy retriever in one week doing this, as soon as it clicked in that when I took the item I'd give him food, he was more than happy to go get anything and shove it at my hands....

Lana

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ann,

How old is Teddi?

EvanG
Teddi is 3.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming! Will try shorter and see how that goes. She comes back, she just doesn't bring the object with her all the way. Retraining is fun. :uhoh:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Teddi is 3.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming! Will try shorter and see how that goes. She comes back, she just doesn't bring the object with her all the way. Retraining is fun. :uhoh:
3 years old, and not fully recalling with the fetch object; this is an obedience issue, but also a force fetch issue. As usual; obedience first. The task...the one clear task, is to come as called. If Teddi were coming, there would be no time to "stop at least 12' away drop the bumper and go sniffing." Those two behaviors are incompatible.

It is not imparative to use an e-collar, but I'll ask for the sake of information. Are you using an e-collar in any way?

EvanG

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3 years old, and not fully recalling with the fetch object; this is an obedience issue, but also a force fetch issue. As usual; obedience first. The task...the one clear task, is to come as called. If Teddi were coming, there would be no time to "stop at least 12' away drop the bumper and go sniffing." Those two behaviors are incompatible.

It is not imparative to use an e-collar, but I'll ask for the sake of information. Are you using an e-collar in any way?

EvanG
No, I do not own one.

I do need to be "more" strict on her obedience issues. In the past retrieving was "only" a game so it was not enforced. Now that I am trying to do more with it I am unclear how to "enforce it". I do have a long leash so I can try that too.

Teddi is a very soft dog, I am not saying I am not willing if necessary to go the routes of the e collar, and I know I will be learning force fetch techniques. I just want to try to have her understand if possible first without those items. I worry until she is confident that they might back her off. I honestly think my being firm when necessary might do the trick. No is a word she does NOT like to hear. She picks up stuff very quickly, I just want to make sure I do the correct things. This is new to me too.

My dogs are opposite ends of the spectrum. These two will teach me a LOT. My lab can be a stubborn mule, and corrections sometimes she will blow right off. She does like to please so that is her saving grace, for her it is just retraining behavior. She will get it. So will Teddi I just need to know "my" part.

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
She needs to wear a long line or at least, a 6 foot leash. Let her drag it as she retrieves. If she has a long line then great, you can reel her in all the way. Do not give her time to stop and smell the roses. If you would rather her wear a 6' lead, that is fine. As she returns, YOU start walking (anywhere, but so she will want to follow you), when she gets near, pick up the leash and walk her around, praise her. Jog if you have to -- keep her moving so she doesn't stop and drop the bumper. If she does drop it, kick it or pick it up and toss it a few feet so she picks it up again. While you are still walking, take it from her.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I think if you go back to short retrieves and turn her giving it to you a fun party, she will eventually do great with long retrieves!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I'd probably work recall so that she starts coming all the way in and then teach a "hold" so that as she's on her way in, at the point where you think she might drop it, remind her to hold. I'd work each individually; very hard to fix two problems at once.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts