1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It looks like the sire did not pass his OFA elbow clearance, right elbow is grade 1, left elbow normal. That would be a deal breaker for me. I think if you search elbow dysplasia on the forum you will see how serious and debilitating it can be. I want to give my puppy the best odds of leading a long and healthy active life, and having parents who passed all their clearances increases a puppy's odds at that kind of life greatly.

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
This question is only out of curiosity (there may be a valid reason)....is there any reason why the OFA elbow rating would be listed on K9 Data, but not on OFA's website? Is it because elbows failed?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
This question is only out of curiosity (there may be a valid reason)....is there any reason why the OFA elbow rating would be listed on K9 Data, but not on OFA's website? Is it because elbows failed?
OFA automatically posts hips and elbows that pass. If the dog does not pass the clearance it is the owners option whether to post or not. The owner must check a box on the paperwork when the clearances are submitted stating that failing clearances can be posted.

Interesting, I didn't pick that up.

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
OFA automatically posts hips and elbows that pass. If the dog does not pass the clearance it is the owners option whether to post or not. The owner must check a box on the paperwork when the clearances are submitted stating that failing clearances can be posted.

Interesting, I didn't pick that up.
I find it odd that they declined to post to OFA, but were willing to post it on K9 Data.

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
Lets take it a step further.....

One of the sire's offsping shows "moderate" for hips, but doesn't list elbows. Hips and elbows are done at the same time, right? If that's the case, that dog failed elbows too.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

There are a few other similar examples...hips with no elbows, or elbows with no hips under "offspring."

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
OFA is the only organization that certifies elbows. It is possible if there are OFA elbows that the hips could have been PennHip. If there are hips and no elbows then I would suspect that the dog's elbows had not passed.

One listed pup, from the sire, with moderate hips would make me look at a different litter. Out of a litter of 7-8 pups, the majority may go to pet homes, where hip/elbow clearances would not normally be done unless there was a problem, so there is no way to know how many affected puppies that sire may have produced.

·
goldenfan
795 Posts
There is a lot of UK breeding in this pedigree, nice temperament and type of golden and lines I am very happy to have in some of my dog's pedigrees. Swanavly are based in Serbia but please don't let that put you off. It is a very reputable kennel that produces good quality dogs. In the UK a 1 on elbows is counted as normal by the BVA but that may be different for the US Annef

1 - 11 of 11 Posts