Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. Olive over all has been a pretty easy puppy. She's really sweet with people, and is fantastic with other dogs. HOWEVER! There are some traits that we have noticed her picking up, and they've been near impossible to stop. Prelude: She goes to daycare, or is very well exercised every day. She has plenty of toys. She eats about 5 cups of food per day.

1. Barking!
Olive barks at things she thinks are weird. Not incredibly unusual, but very very hard to stop. She barks in the backyard (I'm guessing as a territorial thing) She barks to go outside. She barks to go inside! She barks at kids sometimes. HOW DO WE STOP IT!?

2. Treat aggression!
We have a 6 year old cocker spaniel who is very needy, but also very sweet. If we give Olive anything she makes a mad dash toward the food in an almost shark-like manner. If she feels Lola (CS) is too close, they fight. Not always, but sometimes. How do we correct this?

Any help is appreciated! She's so sweet. I love her to death, and I think she is an amazing puppy. It hurts to think that she's not stimulated enough because my wife and I spend soooo much time trying to keep her entertained, etc. Is she just spoiled rotten? I dunno.
Thanks!

·
Project Redhead
762 Posts
Penny is nearly 18 mo
She learned to bark like mad too. I've been using a dog whistle to call her inside every time she barks more that a few polite times. When she comes I hand out a few treats and say shoos It's sort of working. Her recall is getting better, and she has figured out that whoosh means no barking. Still a work in progress. For us it's especially bad as when she gets excited she does a snorting growl and she sounds vicious (she isn't but you wouldn't know that from behind the fence.)

As for treats my little dog can't handle it and they get into knock down drag out arguments. No high value treats at all in the same room. Low value stuff I started by running obedience commands side by side and they were able to work it out in a few weeks. No more fighting there. The good stuff I lock one of them in another room with the kids

·
Registered
553 Posts
The issue with daycare is that she is being "trained" by others and daycares are basically free-for-alls where lots of bad habits can develop. For the barking, that's tough. It's a self-rewarding thing and if she is barking and getting something she wants, it's working and it will continue.

As important as it is for exercise, it's also important to teach rest time. And, training. I would be inclined to suggest that you have more of an approach to consistency at home. Sort of Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF) where you insist she asks to go in or out the door/car/etc. by sitting nicely, she has to sit nicely for anything she wants basically, and she learns quiet time using a mat or stationary behavior. I don't think dogs are trying to take over the world or anything, and I do not believe in the dominance theory, but some dogs do better with a little less freedom and a little more consistency and routine, and it sounds like your dog can benefit.

As far as the fighting, are they both female? I'd stop giving treats unless one is crated, in another room, etc. and then seek the help of a behaviorist. Resource guarding is not necessarily unheard of, but it is an issue that can get out of hand.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
Teach her to speak :)
It's easier to stop barking if she understands the name that goes with the action. So teach her to bark so you can reward her for not barking.
Take her outside on a leash so you can correct the behavior and your back yard isn't a free for all.

At some point my pup began to bark at noises or things she wasn't sure about, I always acknowledge whenever she barks and give a nice pat and tell her it's ok. This way she doesn't have any fear of the unknown and is reassured I have it under control. If I couldn't hear or figure out what she was barking at I put her on leash and asked her to show me. Once she was positive the "threat" was gone she settled down and got quiet. We got up often when she was young and it first started :)

She seldom barks anymore but can be confident if she does I will come look and reward for her getting quiet. It also taught me to trust that she is barking for a reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts