Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

My beautiful 12 year old Golden Retriever, Daisy, had a seizure a few nights ago. We took her to the vet and they explained the cause could have been a whole host of reasons. They checked her and said she is healthy. We inquired about getting xrays and blood work but were told that regardless of what would come out of it there is really no treatment options for a 12 year old retriever. We were advised to bring her home and make her as comfortable as possible and make sure she wasn't in any pain and if she was in pain to bring her back.

She was in good spirits yesterday but today her panting has been worse than usual and she is starting to have these head spasms/tremors that last only 1-2 seconds but are worrying me. In addition she has started to bite at my hands and clothes thinking its food which is something she has never done before, she has also tried to bite our other dog twice now which again is something she has never done. Not in a aggressive way but she is biting/nibbling like she thinks he is food.

Anyone else experience this with their goldens and have any other advice? I am looking around at other vets in the area because our current one seems to just think that because she is 12 we should let her be and die which I am not ready to do. We just had her check up last October and she got a clean bill of health so all of this is very sudden and out of the blue. From my research I personally think it may be brain cancer.

Thank you in advance for any input.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It is not up to the vet to decide what you do or do not want to pursue re. Diagnostics.

Seizures can be caused by things outside the cranium or things inside. The basic workup for new-onset seizures involves physical exam, blood work and urinalysis. These should rule in or out the extracranial causes. It could be something like low blood sugar, liver disease, etc. If those are normal, you are left with intracranial causes, and that will most likely necessitate a referral to a neurologist for advanced imaging (probably MRI).

If you want to pursue it, find a new vet. You could even cut out the middle man and look for a neurologist. Age is not a disease. If you want to look for an answer, don't be dissuaded!

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
I think your vet is far too casual and a referral to the nearest university would be a good thing. They have neurologists on site and the initial visit would probably include all the things Siandvm had on her list, with another visit for a US and MRI scheduled probably the next day unless they have space on the schedule- so don't feed that morning just in case they can do the whole shebang. I have my fingers crossed that they won't need to and find a cause like diabetes... but even if she has a brain tumor there many types and many of them are surgery option even at 12... and just knowing would seem a good thing and could alleviate her confusion and discomfort. Your vet is absolutely wrong - there is plenty one can do. I unfortunately have a good deal of knowledge around brain issues. My Hudson had a benign papilloma on his brain stem and I held my breath at each step of the diagnosis. Story on his page on my site... a friend's dog just had a meningioma and another friend's dog had a glioma, all treated at university all dear to me dogs. Now the neurologist there is treating a dog belonging to a buddy who has a L5 tumor. I'm starting to know her really well, lol~ Find a neurologist, or ask your vet (who is clearly fine at pet care but imo not much of a diagnostician) for a referral to the nearest university asap. She is obviously loved- and has been I am sure a good family member for all her days, so your vet's idea to just let her go without knowing what is wrong or what can be done for it is nuts.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Daisy

I am so sorry that Daisy is sick. What troubles me about your post is when you said that Daisy is panting.
When my Smooch did that, she was having trouble breathing. I would take her back to the vet and have that checked out. When they did an xray, they found Smooch had only 10% of her lungs working.

Saying a prayer for her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback everyone. This vet definitely irks me. He's a new one we've only been taken her to the last few years after her original vet retired, he seemed fine up until this recent incident.

I've been researching this morning and find another place that will see her today to do xrays and blood work. A few family members have taken their pets to this place as well and give it high recommendations. Hoping for good news or at least treatment options to get her better.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
It's good you're going to another vet. As Siandvm says, age is not a disease. We adopted an old girl when she was 11. She had a heart murmur and developed laryngeal paralysis. We could have just decided that her heart was old and it wasn't worth following up. If we hadn't taken her to the vet and got appropriate treatment for her, she would have missed out on another 3 years of her life.

·
3 goldens
11,761 Posts
We adopted our Sophie 5 weeks after5 she turned 11. She had been with her original owners for exactly 11 years, since she was 5 weeks old. We had her 20 minhts, lost her last Oct. 12, just 3 months before she would have turned 13.

She started having some seizures after she turned 12, 3 that we know for sure because we saw them. All happened while she was sleeping. However, she never showed any of the other signs you mentioned. She was a gentle, sweet soul--hubby called her Sweet Pea. Lost her to hemangiosarcoma.

I am glad you are seeing another vet. You previous vet should have told you about any options, tests, etc, and LET YOU make the decision if you wanted them or not. And no age is not a disease. My hubby just turned 73 last week and I will be 72 in June. Both have health issues but that doesn't make us ready for the grave. We take our meds and follow doctors orders.

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
I'm really glad you trusted your gut and sought out opinions here and are going to another vet. There may be something entirely treatable. Hope you get some answers soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts