Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a golden retriever puppy who will turn 5 months in one week. I read 5-6 months is the prime time to change to adult food but here lies the situation. I ran out of the Innova puppy food I was giving him and the store wont get another bag till Monday. SO i was thinking to do the change to adult food now. But I called Innova and they said not to feed Innova Evo until 2 years of age to ensure proper development and growth for large breeds. Should I keep him on puppy food or should i switch to adult food? If switch to adult food, what should i switched too since Evo I am not supposed to give.

On a side note, my puppy is around 40lbs, he is not overweight, he has huge paws which means he will be a big dog.

Please help!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
California Natural is made by the same company and is good for dogs with allergy problems. And many people here feed their dogs that food and do very well.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We feed California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato and have had amazing results with it. However, you are still going to need to do a gradual change from puppy food to adult food regardless of which adult food you are transitioning to. You can't just suddenly change the food without doing a slow transition over a period of a couple of weeks. If you do that, you are going to have a puppy with stomach cramps and severe digestive upset.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
It seems like a lot of places now sell Innova. My vet does as does the pet store in the mall. Most holistic stores sell it. Check the Innova site. They may be able to tell you where to find it in your area.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
just switch to innova adult...I wouldn't change to California Natural
This was my thought as well. If he's doing well on Innova puppy, Innova aduly would be the logical transition.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
SO i was thinking to do the change to adult food now. But I called Innova and they said not to feed Innova Evo until 2 years of age to ensure proper development and growth for large breeds. Should I keep him on puppy food or should i switch to adult food?
By the way EVO is NOT Adult Innova. EVO is a completely different brand under Naturapet.

There is Innova puppy, Innova, Innova red meat, and Innova large breed. These are different versions of the same food. Switch to one of these.

EVO is completely different.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
By the way EVO is NOT Adult Innova. EVO is a completely different brand under Naturapet.

There is Innova puppy, Innova, Innova red meat, and Innova large breed. These are different versions of the same food. Switch to one of these.

EVO is completely different.

Second the above. Switch to Innova Adult. If at some point when your dog is full grown you'd like to switch to EVO, you can do so, but do it slowly over the course of a couple weeks transitioning with whatever food he's currently eating. EVO is a great grain free option but definitely not ideal for growing puppies. Innova Adult is a better choice!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
A little food for thought......

Why do you feed a puppy formula vs a adult formula?

What is the purpose?

What are the Nutritional Requirements for adult dogs?

What are the Nutritional Requirements for rapidly growing puppies?

Are they the same? What does the breeder recommend?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you guys recommend switching to Innova Adult food then? Or should I remain on the puppy food when I am able to get it again? I looked at the ingredients and calcium is higher in the adult which I heard should be low for puppies. It is lower in the puppy food.

·
Registered
356 Posts
So you guys recommend switching to Innova Adult food then? Or should I remain on the puppy food when I am able to get it again? I looked at the ingredients and calcium is higher in the adult which I heard should be low for puppies. It is lower in the puppy food.
The Innova Adult is an all life stages food - the calcium in it is not so high it should be of concern and is in proper ration to the phosphorus. However, if you're still concerned, the Large Breed Innova has lower levels of calcium and is well suited to a Golden (fewer calories than the basic Adult as well).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i actually found a 6lb bag of it and then put an order for 30lb bag of puppy food so i was saved from switching.

What I found interesting, is that Innova rep told me he should be on that puppy food for at least an year and half and then to switch to evo or another adult food. He said they will not recommend a large breed to switch earlier.

I find this to be contradictory of what a lot of people recommend here, do you know their reasoning?

·
rose
497 Posts
i actually found a 6lb bag of it and then put an order for 30lb bag of puppy food so i was saved from switching.

What I found interesting, is that Innova rep told me he should be on that puppy food for at least an year and half and then to switch to evo or another adult food. He said they will not recommend a large breed to switch earlier.

I find this to be contradictory of what a lot of people recommend here, do you know their reasoning?
ok so im cynical is the puppy food more expensive than the adult food and no doubt the rep is poss paid a bonus ie the more he sells the more he earns just a thought told ya i was cynical

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Many golden breeders suggest switching to adult kibble at about 4 months. Personally, I would put him on the adult Innova. EVO is too high in protein for my comfort zone, and def not for a young pup. BTW, technically goldens are considered a medium sized dog.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so im cynical is the puppy food more expensive than the adult food and no doubt the rep is poss paid a bonus ie the more he sells the more he earns just a thought told ya i was cynical
It wasnt a rep in a store, I called Innova the company so it was on the truthful side, I decided im going to keep himon puppy for 7-8 months

1 - 16 of 16 Posts