Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to find boots for the winter for my dog. I've tried muttluks (the purple ones, I think they are made with winter in mind) but the strap wraps around the dewclaw and I want something where the strap doesn't put tension on it. I have to tighten the straps quite a bit so the boots don't fall off. any recommendations? thanks

·
Registered
13,873 Posts
Honestly, I have found the Pawz balloon boots to be the easiest and most effective (I tried Muttluks, too, and they were useless for us). I use the Pawz for salty sidewalks and for fresh, new snow that is going to cause snowballs to form between the paw pads. They do rip if the dogs are running and playing, but they otherwise last quite well. I dry them in between uses and they can last several weeks. A bos comes with 12, so 3 complete sets (but they don't all wear out or rip at the same time). Shala is a small female - she wears Large (purple). The measuring system they have is pretty spot on, so measure as they recommend.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Surprised the Muttluks did not work for you. Did you try the traditional ones that come up quite high on the legs? I specifically go them for Oscar because they completely cover the dew claw instead of riding on them causing irritation.

Reactions: joro32000

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honestly, I have found the Pawz balloon boots to be the easiest and most effective (I tried Muttluks, too, and they were useless for us). I use the Pawz for salty sidewalks and for fresh, new snow that is going to cause snowballs to form between the paw pads. They do rip if the dogs are running and playing, but they otherwise last quite well. I dry them in between uses and they can last several weeks. A bos comes with 12, so 3 complete sets (but they don't all wear out or rip at the same time). Shala is a small female - she wears Large (purple). The measuring system they have is pretty spot on, so measure as they recommend.
is that good? really?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I like Pawz balloons for rain or short trips. For anything else, I have a set of boots from a brand called Canine Equipment which are the best boots I've ever found. Totally waterproof, good traction (for a boot), they wrap above the dewclaws and don't come off. They have front and back boots, which really helps prevent the back boots from slipping off. I've had them for 5 years and they are still in excellent condition.

I bought them totally by accident, went to the store to get a different pair of boots and they were sold out, so figured I may as well try them. Piper's feet clop when she trots with them which makes my heart sing.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I tried many varieties and by far the Muttluks are the best. At least the best for the snowy days. I already had them for 3 seasons and they never fall off. Like OscarsDad I am also surprised you didn't like them. Did you get the same ones as in the picture below? View attachment 886862
Love the picture. Never mind the boots!

Reactions: joro32000

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surprised the Muttluks did not work for you. Did you try the traditional ones that come up quite high on the legs? I specifically go them for Oscar because they completely cover the dew claw instead of riding on them causing irritation.
do you mean the all weather ones? from what I can tell from the image of those all weather ones, it looks like the strap is around the same height as the snow mushers I have now, which is a problem. I need the strap to be above or below the dewclaw.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like Pawz balloons for rain or short trips. For anything else, I have a set of boots from a brand called Canine Equipment which are the best boots I've ever found. Totally waterproof, good traction (for a boot), they wrap above the dewclaws and don't come off. They have front and back boots, which really helps prevent the back boots from slipping off. I've had them for 5 years and they are still in excellent condition.

I bought them totally by accident, went to the store to get a different pair of boots and they were sold out, so figured I may as well try them. Piper's feet clop when she trots with them which makes my heart sing.
I can't seem to find them anywhere. The canine equipment website doesn't have a page for those boots anymore.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
do you mean the all weather ones? from what I can tell from the image of those all weather ones, it looks like the strap is around the same height as the snow mushers I have now, which is a problem. I need the strap to be above or below the dewclaw.
These are the ones Oskie uses: Original Fleece-Lined Muttluks

Reactions: JulieCAinMA

·
Registered
13,873 Posts
I can't seem to find them anywhere. The canine equipment website doesn't have a page for those boots anymore.
You can get Pawz from Pet Smart or Rens or Pet Valu - even Amazon. Most boutique pet stores carry them, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts