Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Simba (he will turn 1 in a couple days) he is normally always by my side. When he was younger he was never crated more than 2 hours and did just fine. I've left him longer recently like 5-6 hours and he destroyed his memory foam crate bed. Now as soon as he's crated he's auto programmed to destroy. I give him bones to chew and peanut butter frozen kongs. This helps. I feel awful he has no padding in his hard crate. I toss him in a doggie blanket and he ate holes in it. It's dangerous to leave him when he's swallowing junk. I'm thinking about getting him one of those dura crate things. In addition to that what can I do to ease his anxiety? I bought homeopathic calling tabs. A thunder shirt? If I get a shower and shut the door he immediately searches out something and destroys it. My husband can be sleeping in the same room as him and he doesn't care. I think he's super attached to me. We leave him 2.5 hrs twice a week and 5 hrs 4 -6 times a year. My neighbor lets him out and plays with him anything over 5 hours. What am I doing wrong? How can I keep him calm when we leave? Our last vacation he tried to eat through the metal wire in his kennel and made his mouth bleed! The kennel lady walks him 4+ times a day and he he has air conditioning and heating as needed. I'm so sorry I'm rambling. My husbands making me crate him at night and if we're occupied working on our new house if I can't be watching him. I don't think that's helping either! Earlier this summer I put him in the yard on his chain and within 20 minutes he ate the trim around our basement window and the panes shattered! The wood was apparently rotten but if he had eaten glass!!! He was ok. Please help!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
This is just a guess but something may have happened when he was crated that caused him stress and anxiety and he is associating that stress and anxiety with the crate.

I would retrain the use of the crate. Susan Garrett has a DVD out called "crate games" that gives a great way to train a dog to really enjoy and feel comfortable in the crate.

What you want to do is change the dogs associations with the crate. You want your dog to think going in that crate is one of the best rewards in the world. When you start out changing the associations into good associations you don't want to leave the dog in the crate for any length of time and lots of rewards for going into it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel your pain. I have a male golden that just turned 1. He is also very attached to me. If I am not home, but my husband is, Bailey can be free in the house and not get into trouble. If I am home and not paying attention to him or leave him alone for a few minutes, he gets into mischief.
I am just hoping he will grow out if it!!

As for the crate issue, I would agree with the previous post, and go back to square one with positive reinforcement in the crate. Starting with a few minutes with lots of praises and treats and working in longer times in the crate, while you are present.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. Square one with the crate makes sense. I honestly can't think of a bad experience he would've had with the crate but I'm not always with him.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

You have gotten some fine advice and I have only one thing to share. Does your pup get enough exercise? Walking 4+ times a day is great, but it doesn't speak to the amount of energy expended. In my experience, young Goldens become destructive when they are bored and need exercise.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the Forum!

You have gotten some fine advice and I have only one thing to share. Does your pup get enough exercise? Walking 4+ times a day is great, but it doesn't speak to the amount of energy expended. In my experience, young Goldens become destructive when they are bored and need exercise.

Good luck to you!
No he by no means gets enough exercise. My husband promised he would walk him daily when he got him and he hasn't walked him only a handful of times. I walked him once a day for a long walk this spring/summer/fall but I have a newly turned 2 year old and 4 year old that have to go with me in a double stroller. They won't do 30 degree walks. My 4 year old plays toys all day with him. She adores him. My husband works out of town a lot but is home this week. I'm going to get on him to walk this poor puppy. He has a long lead with a 1000+ feet of running room he goes out on. I have about 2 acres I left him off leash and throw balls for him. I guess that helps. He also has 5 dog friends he has play dates with occasionally. He has a "sister" mini wiener dog to play with too. She's small but she beats him up. He's not been in the crate for more than 2 hrs since my last post. He seems a lot more relaxed the past few days.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Another thing that you can do is to start doing leaving behaviors even when you aren't leaving. For example, if you always pick up your purse before you leave, pick up your purse, walk around with it, and then set it down and go about your day. Also, I'd be feeding him in his crate for sure. Put his food and him in the crate. If he doesn't eat it in 20 min, pick it up and don't feed him til the next meal. He will eat eventually.

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Hoping

Hoping things are better.
You mentioned the Kennel Lady walking him 4 times a day?
Were you away recently?
Maybe there was a problem at the Kennel?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts