Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is the issue I have with my Golden.

Bentley is 5 years old and has continuosly had a smelly dirty coat. When I bathe him, he will stay nice and good smelling for about 2 days before he returns to his normal stink. He gets so bad and smelly that I have to wash my hands after I pet him. This is difficult for me and my family because we just want to hold him a play with him like we have with all of our dogs. If we did that with Bentley, we would probably need to take a shower afterwards... I am not joking. He gets so dirty that the room he sleeps in will gather a layer of dust/dirt on top of everything after a month or so passes. Although you cant see the dirt cloud, I often joke that he is like Pigpen from Charlie Brown. So has anyone else had a golden with this issue?

To cut down on the bath and forth on posts, I will list a few things I know do not apply to him and explain his enviroment a little:

-He is primarily outdoor (ocasionally inside when we are home)
-He sleeps inside at night
-It is not his anal glands
-He doesn't have a yeast infection in his ears
-He lays around on our concrete porch alot during the day
-Our yard is mostly grass with small amount of dirt where he walks outside the invisible fence line
-He eats 4 health lamb meal and rice formula dog food (no corn, no wheat, no soy)
-The smell is not his breath
-When you pet him when he is dirty your hand will feel dirty like something rubbed off on you and your hand will now smell like him.
-He uses the bathroom in the yard on about an acre of land
-He doesnt have access to a creek/river/lake/pond
-We put him inside when it starts raining

The theory I am begin to develop is that he rolls around in the grass or dirt or in poo/pee or something which makes him so gross. I haven't actually seen him do that though. His collar will get gross too and will have a thick oily feel to it with a dark tone.

Can someone please help me with this issue? If it is his rolling in the yard... how do I stop him? If it is something more common what is it? Do certain goldens have this issue? I really want to be able to enjoy him and have him inside more but he is to gross for that kind of treatment.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Are there any dead or rotting things in your yard? My dog Jake used to love when he found something like that. He'd roll around in it until he smelled just like it. That's the only time I can remember him smelling that bad. If that's the case there's not much you can do accept make him wear a radiation suit when he goes out--with appropriate openings of course.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Kate
21,881 Posts
Okay.... first of all, it sounds like he may have an oil imbalance. This could be a thyroid issue or it could be a bad skin infection (bacterial or yeast). This has to be checked out by your vet. They have to clip hair to look at, as well as check the skin. If you have the thyroid checked - then make sure they do the full test sent out to MSU.

If you shave or clip your dog's coat - that's something else that I've noticed causes major problems with the coat. The oils just cake in the undercoat.

Your dog being outside is not helpful either. Outside dogs smell bad anyway. The closest I can explain it is it's like wet dog smell without your dog being wet.

Our first golden was an outside dog for a few months (summer). A major reason my mom wanted him outside was because he had that outside smell. We were kinda forced to bring him inside because of a harsh winter that first year... and as he was inside, the outside smell faded away.... and it was a very easy decision to keep him indoors for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
349 Posts
How often do you bathe him? My dog gets highly stinky from playing outside. He is 7 months old now and gets a bath about once a week. I use Mane n Tail shampoo and conditioner. My pup isn't an outside dog. But if the ground is wet from dew or rain, he will roll in it. I pick up my boys waste as soon as he goes, because he will roll in anything. If he starts to get that film on him where i can feel it on my hand, he gets a bath. When he gets a bath, i scrub the shampoo in good and rinse it really well. Because his coat is so thick. I also brush him out at least 2 times a day.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
You don't say how often you brush him. You might try using the Listerine recipe in this thread--http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-grooming/109907-stinky-pup-need-listerine-recipe.html--and brush him using it every day for a week to see if it helps. This formula I think originated in stables and is used on horses that smell...horsey.

Another thing that can help is a spray on coat conditioner with scent, if you brush him with every day.

Good luck. It does sound as if his daily entertainment is rolling around in yucky things.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I would have the vet check his skin. Could have yeast infections. Wouldn't hurt to get his thyroid checked. I would also make sure he gets regular baths perhaps using an oatmeal shampoo for skin conditions.

Being outside has absolutely nothing to do with him smelling unless he is of course rolling in something stinky. My dog is outside all day during the week while we work and never smells.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts