Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me look at these clearances,
It looks like the Dams father had DJD II (if I’m looking at it right), is that something you would pass on even though the Dam came back normal? I’m not sure how that passes on
And the sire: Advanced Search | Orthopedic Foundation for Animals | Columbia, MO
I’m going to ask the breeder if they have updated eye clearances and how would I know if the cardiac is done by a cardiologist?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
IMO it is not excusable to breed a dog with DJDII and yes there is a good chance that the gene(s) responsible for that could end up in your puppy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO it is not excusable to breed a dog with DJDII and yes there is a good chance that the gene(s) responsible for that could end up in your puppy
Thank you for your answer, I’ll pass then. I figured that would be the case but wasn’t entirely sure how it passed down, definitely not worth the risk! In the future when I’m looking at clearances sometimes it will say good or normal under hips elbows etc. but other times it just has a number. Do you know what the number means?

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
For elbows, you should always be looking for normal, sometimes a foreign test is put into the OFA database and it may show up as 0:0 or such for hips or A/A for elbows.
OFA hips are rated as good/excellent/mild, etc, and PH measures the distraction index, which will show up as a number (.56 for example). A lot of unscrupulous breeders don’t use PH properly or mislead their buyers into what the PH value actually means
For cardiac evaluation, it should have a VPI after the test, not a PI. If you see something like echocardiogram, or the cardiac evaluations done on the above dogs, those are correct.

Edit: Prism came in a corrected my bottom statement, VPI, PI, etc are all the same if preceded by a P. Definitely look for that C :)

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
There is quite a lot embedded in the number- anytime there are passing orthos, there will be a number. If not and just a word (Good,for ex) that is a preliminary result and done underaged.
GR-129098G26M-VPI = Golden Retriever #129098 evaluated, Good, 26 months old, male, verified perm id.
The way to see what sort of vet did the heart- only cardiologists have access to the ACA forms- so those numbers begin w ACA. If it's not an ACA form, the end of it will tell you who did it- if it ends w P-VPI (or P-PI or P-NOPI ) it is a plain old pet vet. If it ends w C (and the permanent ID info) it was a cardiologist. VPI means verified perm ID, PI means there is permanent ID reported, but it wasn't verified by the practitioner. NOPI means no chip or tatoo.

Reactions: Brave
1 - 5 of 5 Posts