Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, below are the 5 generation pedigrees for the dam and sire I’m looking into. They will be breeding soon and I don’t have experience with this. Does this look about average or short longevity? The breeder said the average life of their goldens is 10-12 years and then sent me this. This would be my first Golden from a show line. They’re beautiful dogs, but obviously health and longevity are the most important things to me. I looked at the OFA for the pedigrees and everything looked good. Thanks.

Sire

Dam

Attachments

·
Kate
21,192 Posts
You've got a LOT LOT LOT LOT more things to worry about besides longevity.

1. Sire is NOT EVEN A YEAR OLD!
2. No clearances whatsoever. You have to start with the parents. Mom only had heart checked, nothing else. DNA is cute on the dad, but it's meaningless if the dog does not have full clearances and is 24 months +
3. I see that Brianna BIschoff is one of the breeders behind the mama - and I'm wondering if they all intended for the girlie to be bred (bet not).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I am going to visit the breeder next week and still have questions to ask her. I should have said in the beginning that they won’t be breeding until the end of November, not sure if that is still too early for the sire to breed. Going to ask about clearances on the dam and sire, I was looking at the clearances for both parents on OFA. She also gave me contact info for her vets. Any other questions I should ask the breeder or her vet? Or is this just a hard pass? Thanks again

·
Kate
21,192 Posts
Well, that makes it even worse because I had a sliver of doubt if this was an accidental litter.

I have NO IDEA what clearances you are talking about, because the sire cannot have full clearances until he is 24 months old. He doesn't even have his eyes or heart checked. Heart can't be checked prior to 12 months.

The sire will turn 1 in August.

He is only about 8 months old!

He is a puppy!!!!

Looking at the dad, I think I've heard of this breeder from his mom's breeder and it's not good.

The mom for the litter does NOT have clearances. They would be on OFA if she did.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
I would see this as a hard pass- there is no reason Pickle has no clearances besides owner doesn't do them. And choosing to breed her to a PUPPY with no clearances, quite on purpose, is just irresponsible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I’ll keep looking. How would I go about finding a reputable breeder in my area? I live in Louisiana but am willing to travel to surrounding states.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Runneymede, Betsy Smith
Rhythm, Kelli Mullins- they should both know someone who's got puppies planned. It's a crazy time since all of America seems to think it's a good time for a Golden but make yourself shine and ask Betsy and Kelli to help you find a nice litter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I emailed Betsy, but I’ve searched and can’t find any information on Rhythm

·
Puddles
3,818 Posts
For me the disturbing part (beside the age issue) is these are pretty well known kennels in the pedigree... Are they aware of this potential breeding!? Does this breeder even have breeding rights?! Puppies having puppies seldom make good mommas and this in turn would not give you a good puppy with a solid temperament. RUN!

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
I suspect especially the Emery bitch was a fight to breed. I cannot imagine her having a contract that wouldn't require more than I see on k9data. And I told Kelli to pop in here and lyk how to get ahold of her.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
So, I just heard from one of the breeders behind this pedigree- that the bitch is dysplastic and has cataracts-http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=811909&fbclid=IwAR26EO5CUV3_9vbuYfcbYTGxnP6KjE3K0pVtIr1SVg70AyhHDbgK2SOsMoM

Apparently she posted all this on FB but this woman has continued to have access to pedigrees she should not. It is a good thing you have accepted the 'hard pass' opinion for your own future dog.

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
I’m so sad when I read about breeders like this. Right now there is a super high demand for puppies. So it makes the breeder look even worse on a pairing like this. Just in it for the money and not for creating healthy puppies.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
And now stuff's going down in 'Golden Retriever Ethical Breeder' world- funny to me what a service you did posting this OP- Pickles was supposed to be spayed, and her boy dog has ED.... and I am reading it right now. So, while I cannot paste it here, due to rules, I would avoid her program now and in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, that makes it even worse because I had a sliver of doubt if this was an accidental litter.

I have NO IDEA what clearances you are talking about, because the sire cannot have full clearances until he is 24 months old. He doesn't even have his eyes or heart checked. Heart can't be checked prior to 12 months.

The sire will turn 1 in August.

He is only about 8 months old!

He is a puppy!!!!

Looking at the dad, I think I've heard of this breeder from his mom's breeder and it's not good.

The mom for the litter does NOT have clearances. They would be on OFA if she did.
So, you heard of me from his Mom’s breeder ? His Mom’s breeder is his sycophant owner, who is the breeder in question 🙄

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, that is really sad. I’m glad I decided to post here, I didn’t realize how complicated all of this was and I’m very grateful for the help. I’ll wait as long as I need to for a healthy pup.
And now stuff's going down in 'Golden Retriever Ethical Breeder' world- funny to me what a service you did posting this OP- Pickles was supposed to be spayed, and her boy dog has ED.... and I am reading it right now. So, while I cannot paste it here, due to rules, I would avoid her program now and in the future.
so why can’t we paste it here ?
it’s a photo of a real conversation and a snapshot of K9Data history

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
so why can’t we paste it here ?
it’s a photo of a real conversation and a snapshot of K9Data history
You could take the k9data screen as a screen shot as a jpg. Then share the jpg here. I’m not sure if it breaks any rules of this forum, you’d have to look in the forum rules for sure. But k9data is my go to for just about anything golden related.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts