Mother:
Wesenstest
HD A, ED free
Eyes free
GR PRA1 clear
GR PRA2 clear
Prcd-PRA clear
ICT carrier

It's the first time I'm adopting a dog and I'm not sure I understand all of these (like why the father has a BVA score and the mother and HD grade). But the ones that I could find seem ok? Just wondering if there is anything here I should be worried about in the puppies or that I should discuss with the breeder.

Thank you so much for any advice or thoughts!

Ben

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
more important imo- at what age were these done? Are the eyes current (in the last 12 months)? Was the heart evaluated by a cardiologist?
Many imported dogs are evaluated as puppies and never again. Until a dog is 24 months old, it should not have a permanent evaluation done. I would not use a dog whose BVA was 5/6 at 24+months old, and it goes without saying i hope that I wouldn't use one who did not have an age appropriate eval done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more important imo- at what age were these done? Are the eyes current (in the last 12 months)? Was the heart evaluated by a cardiologist?
Many imported dogs are evaluated as puppies and never again. Until a dog is 24 months old, it should not have a permanent evaluation done. I would not use a dog whose BVA was 5/6 at 24+months old, and it goes without saying i hope that I wouldn't use one who did not have an age appropriate eval done.
Ok thank you very much! I will ask the breeder.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
If you are in Austria, age of testing is different than the USA. In Europe there are a few testing schemes. From what you posted it seems bad was done through BVA and mom likely through FCI. In Europe testing should be done after 12 months of age. The US is more stringent as we do ours at or after 24 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are in Austria, age of testing is different than the USA. In Europe there are a few testing schemes. From what you posted it seems bad was done through BVA and mom likely through FCI. In Europe testing should be done after 12 months of age. The US is more stringent as we do ours at or after 24 months.
Ok, makes sense - yes i am in Austria and the breeder is Austrian. But aside from the age of the tests, are the results ok? should I worry that the mom is ICT carrier for example?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Looks good to me based on your country’s standards. The carrier status on mom is not concerning because she was bred to a clear. None of the puppies can be affected, so for a pet puppy if is a non-issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good to me based on your country’s standards. The carrier status on mom is not concerning because she was bred to a clear. None of the puppies can be affected, so for a pet puppy if is a non-issue.
thanks that's very helpful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts