Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the AKC breed standard, but don't know how to interpret what it means. As a dog photographer I would like to understand it better so I know what a dogs strengths are to really show off in the pictures. ie. If a dog has an excellent topline, I can make sure the pictures really show it off. Can someone post pictures showing what the AKC means? Thanks, Golden:).

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Each person interprets the standard differently which is why you see dogs of varying style in the ring although they all still look similarly. You most importantly should look at other show photographer's work, ads in the GR News, and breeder websites to see what they're capturing or putting on their sites for others to see. You want to be able to capture a dog moving at it's best and that moment is hard to get much if the time. It has to be just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Since your friend is a golden breeder, can't he/she go over the proper structure of a golden with you?

·
the party's crashing us
4,245 Posts
Also just for clarification, it is the GRCA's standard, not AKC's, AKC just accepts it as the official breed standard as set forth by the national breed club. Splitting hairs, I know :)
At any rate you will find some excellent resources on the GRCA website (Golden Retriever Club of America - AKC National Breed Club) also there are quite a few books on this exact subject, namely Marcia Schlerr's "blue book" an illustrated standard.
I second CarolinaCasey's recommendation to study the photos in the GRNews and other show publications.
So many nuances are completely unappreciated by the casual onlooker but are real dealbreakers to those who show & breed goldens.
Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts