Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ignore me - we got our dates muddled with our breeder. We have changed our work schedules and will now be getting our puppy at 7.5 weeks. (sorry)
 

·
...
Joined
·
16,000 Posts
Nearly all organizations that I know of, including Guide Dogs of America (I don't know if this is the "guide dogs" you refer to) do not accept puppies til eights weeks of age.

And I don't know of many reputable breeders who will let any puppy go prior to 7 weeks - 49 days is when temperament/aptitude testing is done. 8 weeks is preferred.

I'd wait, if possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - we're in the uk and I think it's quite usual for guide dog puppies to leave & start training this early.

We're trying to change our time off, but not sure if it's possible....if we can't do you think it would be better to pick our puppy up at 7 weeks and only have just over a week off with him or pick him up at 6 1/2 weeks & have 2 weeks with us home full-time?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,435 Posts
From what I understand, pups learn quite a bit about bite inhibition etc by playing with littermates at this age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I'm not sure if this makes any difference or not? I'm having one puppy and my brother is having another, so they can see each other everyday (I know it's not the same as being with littermates full time, but would this help a bit) - I can't believe that I've messed this up.

Very stressed now :-(
 

·
Where The Bitches Rule
Joined
·
6,429 Posts
Hi
Relax, it will all work out. :)
If I understand this correct the problem is that you scheduled your time off and at this date will not be able to change it. It is not that the breeder is placing all the pups at 6 1/2 weeks of age.

If that is the case I would wait a few days till the pup is a full 7 weeks of age and then bring him home. You will still have most of your time off to help with the transaction and it is quite common for pups to go home a 7 weeks of age. And as your vet stated it should be ok even if you need to get the pup at 6 1/2 weeks.

Good luck and try to get some rest because not matter 6 1/2 or 8 weeks the little guy is going to run you ragged for a while! ;)
 

·
est.1989
Joined
·
4,374 Posts
I am not sure how they do things in the UK, but I would question whether these puppies have had their 1st shots? I don't like to give them prior to 7 wks, so that is why mine go at the earliest @7.5 wks. I want a few days grace to observe the litter for vaccine reactions. 8 weeks is typical for me to have puppies joining their families.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm waiting to hear if we can change our work schedule or not and have already told the kids they're going to have a bit of a longer wait for their puppy - we're definitely going to wait an extra week, even if we're not quite sure how yet lol!

Thanks for all the advice & kind comments!

*As far as I understand puppies in the UK have their vaccinations at 8 & 10 weeks - it seems quite common for the new owner and not the breeder to sort this out (at least from what I've heard from breeders & vets in my local area).
 

·
est.1989
Joined
·
4,374 Posts
*As far as I understand puppies in the UK have their vaccinations at 8 & 10 weeks - it seems quite common for the new owner and not the breeder to sort this out (at least from what I've heard from breeders & vets in my local area).
this is an odd practice for me...no puppy would leave my home without their 1st vaccine for protection :confused: I try to instruct new families to not expose their puppy until the second booster is in place @ 11 wks, as well, some listen, some don't :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is an odd practice for me...no puppy would leave my home without their 1st vaccine for protection :confused: I try to instruct new families to not expose their puppy until the second booster is in place @ 11 wks, as well, some listen, some don't :(
(We are a bit odd in this part of the world!)

All joking aside though, some breeders do and some don't - We won't be letting him out of our garden until he's had all his jabs and will therefore be protected.

*Just had a chat with our breeder and it appears that we got our wires crossed! He doesn't want to let us take our pups until they're 7.5 - 8 weeks, so I feel a lot better now! Just hope we can sort it out with work.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top