Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several days of research we are beginning to narrow down our selection of suitable breeders!

I think we have settled on two, or possibly three, local breeders to select from. Each of the breeders either have or are expecting litters in the next few months. However, with all the possible selections, my head is spinning a bit!:bowl: I was hoping for a bit of guidance on narrowing down our selection. Since the breeders we are considering may be represented on these forums, I am reluctant to reference their names out of concern that it may be improper, and I would hate to accidentally offend someone as a result of unguided ignorance.:doh: However, I will try to present the information I have as ambiguously as possible.

We are looking for a family companion to fit our moderately active lifestyle. We will not be breeding, showing or hunting the dog.

The first breeder has paring of dogs which have the following traits/certs:
Sire: CAN CH, Hips-Fair, Elbows-Normal, Heart-Clear, Eyes-Clear
Dam: AM CH, CAN CH, Hips-Good, Elbows-Normal, Heart Clear, Eyes-Clear

The second breeder has pairing of dogs with the following traits/certs:
Sire: AM CH, Hips-Excellent, Elbow-Normal, Heart-Clear, Eyes-Clear
Dam: Hips-Good, Elbows-Normal, Heart-Clear, Eyes-Clear

Does one of these parings stand out as much better than another? Should I be concerned with a "Fair" rating in regard to the hips? Does championship linage have any bearing? Are there any other questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance!

·
Kate
21,679 Posts
I wouldn't go by the parents alone. Look at the past five generations, consider the reputation and involvement of the breeders, and go by lines that would fit your lifestyle.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Also, make sure you choose a breeder you feel comfortable around. Someone whom you think you can develop a relationship with.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Just listing their clearances alone is not enough. You should list the parent names so the forum can do their research with it. Fair hips can be passing but I would make sure they come from stonger rated pedigree. Same goes with Excellent. Excellent is just that but not if it comes from a long line of Fair. Are the eyes up to date, they need to be done each year by an optomologist. How is the longevity in the pedigree. That would help me make up my mind which pair to go with. List the parent names and the forum can help you. Good Luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a bit more research I determined that the "fair" hip rating turns up quite frequently in the first breeders' sire's lineage, back at least three generations. I have read that a "fair" hip rating is still within acceptable OFA standards for a normal hip. My understanding is that "fair" hips might have a greater potential to produce dysplatic hipped offspring. Is that correct?

How would I go about discussing the reputation of the breeders within this forum? One if the breeders is an active forum member, the other, less so, but likely because of a lack of familiarity/comfort with electronic communication formats. Is it appropriate to discuss breeders by name here?

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Congratulations for narrowing down to some good breeders who have done nice testing. Choosing between them should now be fun. Go meet the mother dogs, and get a gut feel? If you want to PM the actual pedigrees to a few experienced, people like Tahnee know pretty much everything.

Reactions: Selli-Belle

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I agree with LJilly, go visit with the breeders and some of their dogs and see if one situation really clicks with you.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Excellents in the golden world are few and far between. In many cases, a Good X Excellent will produce a Fair. As Megora and MGMF said you should be looking for clearances for at least five generations back. You can usually find them on K9DATA.COM Home Page. And make sure the ophthalmologist clearances were within twelve months. And the cardiologist was done by a cardiologist (it will have a C in the clearance), if done by a practitioner, it will have a P in the clearance. A Fair is a clearance, but I personally would avoid a Fair to Fair breeding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
For some reason, the links won't click through for me.

·
Registered
869 Posts
With the breeders approvals here are the pedigrees of the we are considering:

Breeder #1:
Dam http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=256756
Sire Pedigree: Can CH Brookshire As Good As It Gets

Breeder #2:
Dam http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=196704
Sire http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=240392

"Possible" Breeder #3:
Sire and Dam http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=451529

Opinions would be appreciated!

Gerry

I do not know the 3rd breeder. However, both Kara at Sunkissed and Carole at ThorneLea are wonderful breeders. I have long been an admirer of the ThorneLea dogs. Carol has been a breeder for well over 30 years.

I would suggest you meet them both(breeders and mom's) and go with whom you feel that you can have a good relationship with as far as being able to ask questions, etc. You may also have a preference as to the looks of the dogs of one breeding over another.

I would say you found some very good breedings though!!

Good luck!

[email protected] Harborview

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Thanks, for some reason the links go to a web site hosting ad. I bet it is something dubious on my computer.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Okay, so I finally got a clue and copy/pasted instead of following the link. I think you have good choices, and it is your gut at this point. For me, and what I love in goldens, I would 100 percent go with choice # 2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts