Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is on Frontline and got her last dose on November 3. However, it must not be working because I have pulled 2 deer ticks (I think they were deer ticks) off her in the last 24 hours!!!!! I am so upset! She is vaccinated against Lyme, but we are in a VERY high risk Lyme disease area. My mom has Lyme disease and I know how bad it can be. So, my question is, can I give her more Frontline? I'm about to call the vet, but I just moved to the area and don't know and trust the vet. I also am planning to take her in to have her tested for Lyme, but how soon would it show up on a test? Any other things I should be doing? I kept the ticks and have them in rubbing alcohol. I know they want you to do that for people, but don't know if vets want to test the tick. So I have them just in case. That way they can be identified as deer ticks or not. I am just so frustrated that this happened! It's not supposed to happen! We have her running off leash in the woods just about every day of the week, so she is in tick areas a lot, but she was supposed to be protected by the Frontline!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Frontline does not repel ticks, it kills them AFTER they bite.
You might want to try the newer Vectra 3D, which is getting great reviews from the vets. K9 Advantix also repels ticks.
Lyme doesn't show up in tests until about 8 weeks after the tick bite.
There are lots of other tick borne diseases to worry about too. (just what you wanted to hear).
Ewwwwwwwwwwww
I HATE ticks.
It seems to be a particularly bad year for them in many areas of the country.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Were the ticks embedded? If they were, then you will want to have your vet run a Snap 4 in a few weeks. Remember that Lyme disease is only one of the diseases carried by ticks. The Snap test will check for ehrlichiosis, Lyme disease and anaplasmosis. It is able to differentiate between actual exposure to Lyme disease and the vaccine, so it will work for your dog. If the Snap test is positive for Lyme, the next step is a C6. If it is positive for one of the other tick diseases, there are other tests that can be run, usually through Protek (sp?).

I believe that you can use the Frontline spray in addition to the regular Frontline, and I have heard it is more effective than the regular Frontline. You can google it for more information.

If the ticks were not embedded, the Frontline may very well be working, as it is not a repellant.

If you don't have cats, you can look into K9 Advantix, which sometimes works where Frontline doesn't. Many without cats have also had success with Vectra 3D.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
The Preventic collar is a great solution to this problem if you dont have a cat. Also, my vet says it's fine to reapply Frontline after 3 weeks once in a while for heavy tick bursts.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Good idea about the Preventic collar. My friend who does a lot of tracking uses them and has had very good luck with them (in conjunction with Frontline).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got Maya in to the vet today. I reapplied the Frontline over the weekend, but found yet another tick today! She's had 4 embedded ones now! 3 of the 4 were identified as not deer ticks. The 4th didn't come out in one piece, so it's hard to tell. The vet wants to switch her to Advantix, as he thinks Frontline is a bad product. He has seen many patients with ticks on Frontline. So we'll switch next month. He thinks that with the Lyme vaccine she is well protected. He will run a test for tick borne diseases in about 6 weeks. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Is it Frontline or Frontline Plus? Because the Plus works for ticks and fleas where the regular is just for fleas. But I have to say that Frontline didnt work well for us this year with fleas. So we switched to Comfortis. My vet said that alot of people have been saying that the Frontline hasnt worked as well this year. They can become resistant.

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Hudson is also on Frontline and we found a giant tick on him yesterday!! I'm really upset. I have 2 more applications and feel like I wasted money. I think I will switch him too. It's not only you if that helps.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
Frontline and Frontline Plus both work on fleas and ticks. The Plus has an Insect Growth Regulator as well, to kill the flea eggs.

I have had good luck with Advantix, and apparently Vectra 3D is giving good results, although both are toxic to cats.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The Preventic collar is a great solution to this problem if you dont have a cat. Also, my vet says it's fine to reapply Frontline after 3 weeks once in a while for heavy tick bursts.
Yes, the preventic collar works well. That's the only thing that helped us when we were going through a tick problem. I also used the frontline spray before we went on walks.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I took a fully engorged tick off Max's ear today, he's on Frontline Plus but there are just so many ticks around that I don't think anything will totally keep them off. I took one off me last night, too, wish they made Frontline for people! If your pup is gonna run in the woods, you're gonna be taking them off her often - but I don't think I'll ever get used to it. Ewwww!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts