Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's kind of late but... my 10 month old really doesn't "fetch" to bring the ball all the way back. She gets it about 3 feet away from me then decides to lay down and wait for me to go to her to play fetch some more. Or worse, she thinks it's a game and bolts away.

How did you get your retrieve loving dog to bring the ball to you - when you are the controller of the game? If I don't get the ball from her she'll either just lay there or lose interest and sniff at other things.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,156 Posts
Take two balls. When she comes back show the one in your hand and say "drop it" or "give" as they drop the one in their mouth to go get the new one. Works like a charm. Before you know it she'll be dropping just the one ball at your feet on command. Good luck :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I should be doing as I say - haven't worked on this with our Nugget yet - but the instructor at the obedience school we're going to said to put a leash on the puppy, then roll the ball (or throw the toy), but close enough for pup to reach it. When he/she picks it up, reel her in to you. Say "Give!" (or whatever word you choose to use). When she puts it in your hand, praise her, then repeat, etc.

The instructor had a good point. If you can teach your dog to bring the object to you and put it in your hand, ANYone can play fetch with her, even someone confined to a wheelchair or otherwise physically challenged. :)

Now, I need to practice what I preach!

·
Poppy's mom
224 Posts
You have to teach them that? lol Maybe your retriever's retriever is defective! Try a reset!
I'm just kidding! :) I can't take credit for most of the wonderful things my dog does. She may have been a rescue, I must say she still had a very good upbringing before ending up there.
Good luck and keep it fun! :bowl:

·
Apollo & Knightley's mum!
279 Posts
In addition to the swapping idea, which sometimes does work quite well... there are a few other things you can do.

Firstly, make sure you *never* chase your dog, or play chasing games. That will make both retrieving games and recalls difficult.

Secondly, if you get down close to the ground, dogs find it virtually irresistible to come closer to you, it's part of their body language. Start with a small throw, and as soon as she picks it up and turns around, squat down, or get on your hands and knees and call her to you. Be ready to praise her hugely when she does come all the way to you.

Thirdly, instead of trading for another ball, I would probably reward her with a bit of food - but make sure it isn't too exciting, just exciting enough so that she will come to you because you're in a 'play' position and then give you the ball and get rewarded with the food BUT is still happy to leave you to chase the ball again. If the food is too good she won't want to leave you. I'd just use kibble, or some other dry biscuit personally. Show her the food, hold it right near her nose, and chances are she will drop the ball of her own accord. As she does, say your chosen words eg "drop it!". Pick up ball, and off you go again. Eventually simply say "drop it!" and *then* give the treat, without having to show her the treat before hand. Then quickly throw the ball, so the throwing becomes part of the reward for dropping it. Eventually fade the treat, and getting to chase again is the only reward, apart from praise.

Of course you could just try trading balls, but this other way has more flexibility, and this way of teaching 'drop it' is very handy.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Use a long line you can buy one or make one with a clothes line rope and a snap from the hardware store. This way you have a little bit more space to toss the ball or bumper or stick. I like to use lots of different items so my dog will bring back anything. Then all you need to do is toss the toy ( have a call word ie. fetch it up or bring it here) and then call your dog if he doesnt come start reeling him in and PRAISE make it a party. This gets the dog excited about what you are doing and will want to do it again.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You have to teach them that? lol Maybe your retriever's retriever is defective! Try a reset!
I'm just kidding! :) I can't take credit for most of the wonderful things my dog does. She may have been a rescue, I must say she still had a very good upbringing before ending up there.
Good luck and keep it fun! :bowl:
No kidding, lol. Butter just knew how to fetch. I rolled a ball for him to fetch when he was around eight weeks and he brought it right back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts