Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darby was spayed this morning and since I picked her up 5 hours ago she has thrown up 3 times. It is just liquid and she has not eaten anything all day. She has had only a couple of licks of water, I think she is just too nauseated to drink. The vets office told me to offer her little sips and only feed her if she holds down the water. They sent me home with some pain medicine for her if she needed it, but I wonder if this will increase her vomiting.

Any thoughts? Is this normal for the day of surgery?:(

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Jordan threw up when I brought her home too.(7pm) I waited until about midnight and then gave her a couple sips of water. I think a couple times is fairly common, but if she continues I would contact your vet. I don't think pain meds would be good with an upset tummy. Hope she feels better soon

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I don't know how to advise you but I'm sending healing thoughts to your girl.

Reactions: doula1st

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, that makes me feel better. Poor thing, I she is just laying there and once in a while she moans & groans....then she will vomit. :(

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Hmmm, do you know what time the operation was?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure exactly what time, but somewhere between 9:30 to 11. I picked her up at 3 pm. Right now she is laying in her crate next to my bed and resting, but does a little soft whimper once in a while. I really want to give her the pain medicine but I don't think I should.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, the pain medicine they gave me is vetprofen 100 mg (1/2 tablet every 12 hrs as needed).

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I would do the pain meds if she can hold things down. And give the pain meds with food as well. Some of my girls have gotten sick post spay and some haven't...

Reactions: doula1st

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I think she is still coming out of the anesthesia, more than in pain. Jordan never needed any pain meds, my understanding was they gave her a shot while she was still under. I feel bad for you, I know how hard it is to see them feeling bad. It will probably be a long night, but I bet she is like her old self in the morning.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I think it is nausea from the meds. I get really sick when put under. I would give her the pain meds until the vomiting stops, cause throwing up may make her incision hurt. Hope as she comes more around the vomiting will stop, but she might want something soft and easily digested food for a day to help settle everything.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
How is she doing this morning? Hope she is feeling much better.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We found the easy way to get them to swallow pills/pain meds: 'butter' it with peanut butter. It slides right down.

I hope she is doing better today. Sending prayers and hugs.:smooch:

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Looking for an update??? Maybe your sleeping in if it was a long night. Hope she is much better this morning, let us know when you get a chance.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Is there such thing as 'gravol' for dogs?

Anesthetic can make some feel really sick (even humans).

Hope she feels better today and had a good night.... (you too)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
getting better......yeah!

Darby did finally rest with no more vomiting last night. She was wagging her tail and happy to come out of her crate this morning. ;) she drank lots of water and ate this morning. She was still moving a little slow this morning, but pretty much normal tonight and have to force her to not play/run. I did have to get an E collar today because she wanted to lick at the incision. She is not happy with that for sure but I am only putting it on her when I am not with her......and right now for bedtime in her crate.

Thank you all for helping me through last night. You are great support!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
So glad she is feeling more like herself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts