Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
red golden Pira
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am just writing quickly to ask your opinions to know if I should take my dog to the ER or not... I have everything ready in case I need to go: all packed, address of the ER, all check.

She is a 5 months old golden called Iracema (we call her Pira) who just got spayed last Tuesday. She was doing just fine in her recovery from the surgery but tonight she suddenly laid down on the floor without standing up. She is drooling a lot and seems to be very lethargic. I tried to make her stand (just to check) and she didn't. I tried to entice her with her favorite snack to see if she would stand up, and again she didn't.

Opinions??

Thanks so much..

All best,
Tania

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I would take my dog to the ER! Do you have one close by? Not sure where you are in SD but there is a great one in Carlsbad and one in Escondido.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yes. I would be at the ER as soon as possible! Hope everything turns out well. Keep us posted.

·
red golden Pira
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All this just happened now.. like 10 minutes ago. Just when I finished writing the post she stood up, walked next to me and laid down again. Ok, I think I am going to the one in Kearny Mesa.. is much closer to where I live.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Hope everything goes ok at the E-vet!!! There's are two other ones in Mission Valley and Bonita if that's closer to you (and you haven't left yet)

·
red golden Pira
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you all for the messages. She had a mild allergic reaction. She took 2 shots and seems to be doing much better now. When I arrived at the ER, her eyes and lips were very swollen. They were huge, actually! Now she is sleepy but not the "not moving at all" kind.

Thanks again,
Tania

·
M&M's mom
264 Posts
Whew! Soooo glad you had an ER close by and got her there quick. Sending prayers and loving thoughts her way that she'll feel much better today!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
So glad to hear everything is fine. They sure can give us a scare sometimes!

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
So glad that you went - and that it was something easily treatable. Hope your sweet girl is feeling better today.

·
red golden Pira
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Instead of sleeping in her crate, last night she slept on her bed next to mine, so I could monitor her. Well.. I woke up with lots of kisses!! She is fine!!! :wavey:

I was very scared yesterday.. I am a first time owner and didn't know what that was.

Thanks for all your messages!

Tania and Pira

Attachments

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The visit to the ER was a good idea - if nothing else, to make sure that YOU feel better!

Hoping for a speedy recovery from the surgery.

·
red golden Pira
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know exactly what triggered her reaction. We had a calm day (she is still recovering from being spayed) and she ate her normal food, normal treats and 2 kongs with frozen banana! She was just fine. Then we went outside to go potty and after when we came back she started with the allergic reaction. My guess is that it was either a bug bite or a flower she ate on the way. (I couldn't really do anything.. it was too late to rescue the little flower.)

Well.. now I have some medicine in my purse in case it happens again.. at least I will have time to get her to the vet without the swelling.

I am much calmer now: I need to learn all the doggy things! : o )

Reactions: Karen519

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Happened to my lab 3 years in a row same month (march) her entire face blew up it didnt even look like her! i ran every red light to get to the closest vet and just ran inside with her..i was a loony toon! they said to always keep liquid Benadryl in the house with a syringe..ask the vet how much to give her if it happens again..it brings down the swelling real fast

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Tania

Tania

Thank GOD YOU got her to the ER Vet. Keep a close eye on her!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts