Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
-Brooklyn's Mumma-
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to deal with Brooklyn's bad behavior for a cpl weeks and it doesnt seem to be getting any better. i have read a bunch of threads on here about biting and tips and tricks but nothing seems to work. she attacks me now all the time and I can't get her to let go. i have holes in all my clothes and even when we are playing together , she will drop the toy to bite my arm instead.

The thing I don't understand is that everytime I take her to my moms house to stay for the weekend she is an ANGEL to everyone, including me. We just spent 2 days there and she didnt even try to bite me. She was snuggly instead. I don't get how completely different she acts when not at home. Is this normal?????????????

Help me, my shark dog is getting the best of me. i have purple bruises from her attacks on my arms and legs!

·
Marty~Mom to Husker
157 Posts
How old is she? Mine is almost 7 months now and thankfully we only see the "shark" once or twice a week now. From 8wks to about 5 months though he was a monster! I, too, have clothes with holes in them. I still don't wear a few of my favorite lounge pants because I don't want holes in them. We tried a ton of things with only two being effective: a shock collar or a spray bottle. We don't use the collar now except for when the grounds dry and he starts digging. He responds to the beep of the collar immediately (don't have to shock). The spray bottle oddly enough he responds to immediately as well, it's just water. Even to this day when he gets in that "attack" mode there is nothing I can do to stop him except for spray him once with water. Ignoring, walking away, time out, yelling "ouch" or "no", bitter apple spray, etc. nothing works.
Try the water bottle, it can't hurt to give it a shot. :)

·
-Brooklyn's Mumma-
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brooklyn is a little over 4 months old. She can be the sweetest little thing (in the morning when she's tired and at night when she's tired lol) and then turn into a crazy psycho biting dog.

Yes, I have tried the spray bottle. At first it scared her off but now she loves getting wet and thinks its a game. Sigh...

I sure hope she grows out of this!!

·
M&M's mom
264 Posts
Maizie did the shark bite thing, too, but it seemed to slow way down when she got her adult teeth. Hang in there, it will get better!!!

I usually tried to keep my hands out of her way...lol!!! I wore a big sweatshirt with the big front pocket for both hands. And try to keep toys available to give to show they are the okay thing to bite.

·
Love My Charlie
4 Posts
My 8 month old Charlie is going through similar issues with the biting and rough play. This is normal adolescent behavior for Goldens and although it seems like this problem is not getting better it will calm down as your pup matures. It will get better...I wear my crappy clothes when we go out because sometimes he gets a little too excited.

When she acts up simply turn your back on her or leave the room for a few minutes. Goldens are smart and she will figure out that the rough play is going to result in her losing her favorite playmate for a few minutes. It will sink in.

Best of luck - have patience...this will pass.

-Chris

Reactions: Kaila

·
Registered
205 Posts
what's this shark bite thing? Your teething puppy using your limbs to teethe on? If so...

perserverance... try to direct the attention to a different toy or chewing object...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts