Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!! Charli is 6 months old and has developed a fear of sounds that don't derive from People or Dogs. It's pretty comical inside but it has been terrible outside. She is scared of passing cars, moving garbage cans, and wind. I just purchased a harness for her, which she has taken to quite well. Our walks ks never exceed 30 yards. I've been staying at my parents house recovering from surgery and they live in a residential quiet neighborhood. Charli will start out on her walk completely fine and then when she hears anything out of the ordinary she bucks and then lays down. Can anyone recommend anything!? She loves dog parks...but I want to walk her frequently and this fear prohibits said exercise :(

See pics...my Mom attempted a walk this morning and disappointed Charli inside. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brigit

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have had the same problem since we got Nyah... she is now 8 months. The louder the noise, the more terrified she is. The only advice I have is keep the harness (we have gental leader) and try to take her on "off" traffic/noise times. Some days Nyah will be better, other days she will be worse. Sorry I can't offer her more advice but I do know what you are going through.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
High value treats to encourage her to move forward. Turn around just a few yards past where she spooks and take her back home. Lengthen the distance over time as she gets less reactive to the noises. I would also sit outside with her on the porch and feed her high value treats while sitting calmly.

What I did with my Jasper, who developed severe noise phobia after a pack of teens went skateboarding by was to work on his "look" command. We practiced at home by my saying "look" and holding the treat up between my eyes. Then I would give him the treat as soon as he looked at me. Then I took treats with me when I walked them at the park and occasionally I'd say "look" and treat him when he looked at me. Then when he heard the scary things (skateboards, scooters, stollers), I'd say "look" and he's look back at me with a happy expression, waiting for his treat (which I gave him, of course). Now he's not freaked out by those things anymore.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
My Fraidie Pup

Maisie was (and sometimes still is) skittish with some noises, new situations or objects and large/loud people, especially men unless they're with a dog(!). Noises like a large flag flapping in a heavy wind, a rear metal gate dropping from a large delivery truck, etc., really freak her out. Any loud metallic noises especially bother her. It's unpredictable because sirens and noisy roaring trucks, cars and motorcycles don't. ??

Anyway, we worked on this one-on-one with a trainer in a few sessions. Her first recommendation was the most important for my husband and me. She reminded us that when Maisie is frightened of something, to talk with her in a matter of fact and upbeat tone, not a coddling one -- "Isn't that a silly noise?" or "What's that scary noise? or "Isn't that a big man in those funny glasses?" or something like that rather than cooing "It's OK, don't be afraid" which is what we'd gotten in the habit of doing. She taught us that the re-assuring tones actually reinforced Maisie's fear. We went on a program of exposing Maisie to as many new experiences as possible -- walking her to the grocery store and library every day to see new things and people (people in wheel chairs, one day some kids on stilts, kids on roller blades, a man on crutches, etc.,) and when the people were interested to give them treats and have them treat and pet Maisie. We're in a friendly neighborhood so this worked well. When we encountered things and noises that scared her, she coached us to try to approach the situation (or at least stand still) and give Maisie really yummy treats if she'd take them, again talking matter of factly to her, then walking past the noise quickly if she'd go.

Sorry this is so long, but this all really has helped us. We're still working on Maisie with big, very tall men and metal objects,, but otherwise she's made lots of progress. Hope this helps and good luck -- it does take persistence.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Dogs goes through another "scared phase" at around 7-9 mos... Your pup is on;y a month off so I'm guessing it's mostly that... Whenever they get scared do your best to end on a positive note... Don't give up on the walk just cuz of her tantrum because that's reinforcing the behavior... I know that's easier said than done, believe me... Do your best to stay calm and not let frustration overwhelm you because your dog can sense it and they don't understand why you're agitated... Just that you ARE agitated and that can add to their anxiety... Best of luck to you! I really hope this gets better soon! I know how frustrating it is :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts