Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

We've been fighting hot spots, however finally have that under control...now that the weather has dried up a bit and cooled down, much less problems....he still gets them here and there, but not bad and we do a thorough check of his entire body every day, sometimes twice....gold bond powder has been a godsend!

Now, he's got a rash all over his belly and hind legs (inside) and under his front legs in the armpit area. He looks as though he's been bitten by something as you can see bites, like a mosquito.

We use promera (maybe not the right spelling) rather than frontline, as it is good for their coat...we have NO FLEAS....the cats are frontlined, our home has no fleas and we have not found ONE on him.

We're again taking him to the vet tonight and want to ask them about

Omega 3 in his food
CHanging his food...he's on lamb/rice which he has been on since a pup....we tried chicken and immediately took him off of that, he got hot spots within hours....so we're assuming it's an allergy.

Does anyone feed their goldens fish/potato food? I read something online about that as well.

Also, we haven't let him swim because of the hot spots......which is so sad, he LOVES the water!

He's home with me all day, he does not seem itchy...he doesn't scratch and itch...so we are very confused about what is going on with the poor guy!

He's only 2.....

Any advice and help would be great! What can I ask the Vet?

·
Premium Member
18,671 Posts
I think you may be getting to the point that you need to have an allergy panel done on him to find out what he is allergic to.

Please check out Promera carefully, my vet has said it is not a good product and causes reactions in a lot of dogs.

You could try food elimination, change his food to one with a different protein source - like fish - but has the same grain in his current food and see if there is any change. If it doesn't help, try it the other way around, the same protein with a different grain. But keep in mind, changing his food should be done gradually, and once on just the new food you need at least 3 weeks or longer to see if there are any changes.

I previously had my dogs on lamb or chicken base, and they both do better on the Fish/Sweet Potatoe food.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply!

I have a list going for the vet.....adding Omega 3, Thyroid, Allergy panel, etc....they seem to think he has a protein allergy, we think it's wheat....we had changed his food to chicken/rice...which has wheat in it and it was immediate he had reactions to it. We went back to the lamb/rice. My husband bought treats with wheat, and he reacted immediately as well...so back to the no wheat treats, and we only give him 2 a day.

What peaks my curiosity is that we live near our breeder, last week we met one of his brothers (from the same litter). That dog fought hot spots last year, we didn't, they feed him everything under the sun, we don't...and the other dog has NO ISSUES at all. They also don't have cats, we have 3...

I wonder if he could be allergic to cats?? Sounds silly....but we don't have wall to wall carpet, we have oak floors, I do childcare so our house is very, very clean.

The promera I will read more up on....we always used frontline on our other dogs, and have always used it on the cats.....

Thanks again! Poor little man...he is my baby...we didn't ever have any issues with our other dogs, so this is a challenge for us.....we're very caring, loving pet owners and don't take stuff like this lightly....he is our world :) Well....he's in that world with our other human kids!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tippykayak...

I have the thyroid on the list for the vet....we will get that done! It's on the top of the list.

Something is going on....I honestly believe the hot spots were partially the wet, humid, hot weather we had....those are well under control now, we haven't had a new on in a couple of weeks....

Now it's the belly....

I forgot to mention that he rubs his face a lot.....so much he'll rub his whiskers off.....but that also seems to have subsided (and really the only itching he does).

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
It does sound like a nasty allergy. Proteins are more common culprits than wheat, but it's not impossible for a dog to be reactive to wheat. If the thyroid panel comes back normal, which seems unlikely to me, you might want to try an allergy-specific food with very simple ingredients.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Ther red spots sounds that look like bug bites sound like a staph infection. The thyroid test sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had a friend that had terrible skin problems with her boxer. I suggested the fish & potatoe & it cleared up quite well. She used New Balance because Fromm has cheese & wanted to be sure it wasn't a dairy allergy also.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Just FYI, but Caifornia Natural makes a Herring and Sweet Potato formula of their food. CN is a food with limited ingredients for those dogs who have food allergies. Just wanted to throw that out there. I have personally used the food and saw great results.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I had Shadow allergy tested just for food issues. Since staying away from what he is sensitive too, his problems have been limited. What shocked me the most was him being allergic to milk product. He's allergic to many of the proteins. He doesn't do well coatwise on the fish formulas, but does well on the lamb based foods.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
My sister's lab struggled with skin and ear issues for years, from around 3 to 8. His thyroid values are fine. She finally put him on Eukanuba Sensitive Skin at her vet's recommendation, and boom! it all cleared up. It's fish/barley/rice based.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on the skin!

He had a staph infection, which after 2 doses of antibiotic is almost gone already! He'll be on the A's for 10 days.

We discussed his skin issues etc, they had already done a thyroid test 3 months ago, and it was fine. We discussed allergy testing and our vet, who owns 2 goldens, wanted us to try a few things first, due to the cost.

So, we have changed him to fish and potato food, which he LOVES. We'll continue to keep him off of the wheat as we've been doing, and see what happens. She advised against adding any omega 3's to his food, until he adjusts to his new food.

We ALREADY see a difference! We're hoping this is going to work :)

Thank you all!!! This site has such a wealth of information, and I'm so happy we're part of it! Having a happy, healthy dog is our priority! He's our 3rd child!!!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
What kind of thyroid panel did they get? There are basic panels and more thorough ones. Also, Goldens who show up "low normal" sometimes benefit greatly from supplements anyway.

Be aware that if the fish and potato helps, it's probably the chicken he's sensitive to, not the wheat. Protein allergies are much more common than grain ones, simply because of the basic biology of how allergies work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We hadn't had him on Chicken.....we tried the chicken and he reacted to it within a day...so took him back off of it.

They did the full panel (now that I think about it...no wonder the vet bills was HUGE for a check up and lymes test...).

The vet said the same thing regarding proteins, however after testing we have pinned it down to wheat, though keep his protein intake low.

He seems SOOOO much better on the fish/potato! I can even see a difference in his coat and it's only been since Thurs!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.