Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to putting a deposit down on a golden retriever and just received the health information and pedigree from the parents of the litter. This is the first time I have looked at one so I would love to help to digest the information and if there is anything that sticks out for good/bad reasons.

DAM: Pedigree: Sammie Kelley

SIRE: Captain Finn Of Hidden Springs
SS12390303

The breeder did not do OFA on the Sire but instead sent me the PennHip report. The Pennhip report shows DI Right - .35 and DI Left at .34 with no findings of OA or cavitation.

I can not look up any of the Dam's info on K9 data but he did include his pedigree chart from the AKC. I included the picture below (which I hope is okay to publically share like this).

Any information to help me evaluate this would be greatly appreciated as I am looking forward that this all checks out and I can bring home a new puppy soon:)

·
Registered
535 Posts
The mother only has hips on OFA. Hips and elbows are always done together so since the elbow clearance is missing the assumption is she failed elbows. She is missing her Cardiac and eye clearances.
The sire just recently turned 2. At what age was his Penn Hip done. If it was before 2 years old its not acceptable. Regardless he is missing the other very important clearances. This is not a breeding I would get a puppy from. To many red flags!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mother only has hips on OFA. Hips and elbows are always done together so since the elbow clearance is missing the assumption is she failed elbows. She is missing her Cardiac and eye clearances.
The sire just recently turned 2. At what age was his Penn Hip done. If it was before 2 years old its not acceptable. Regardless he is missing the other very important clearances. This is not a breeding I would get a puppy from. To many red flags!
Thank you for sharing. The PennHip was done at 16 months.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
According to the GRCA Code of Ethics, these are the MINIMUM health clearances any Golden used for breeding should have:

II. The following reports are acceptable for dogs residing in the U.S.:
  1. Hips – a report from the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) or PennHIP at 24 months of age or older. Since PennHIP results are not automatically published, these results should be recorded in an approved online database as described above.
  2. Elbows – a report from the OFA at 24 months of age or older.
  3. Hearts – a report from a Diplomat of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Cardiology), at 12 months of age or older. Report should be recorded in an approved online database as described above.
  4. Eyes – a report from a Diplomat of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmology. Examinations should be done within 12 months prior to a breeding, and results should be recorded in an approved online database as described above.
    1. Dogs that produce offspring should continue to have ophthalmology examinations on a yearly basis for their lifetime, and if the findings permit recertification, the results should continue to be recorded in an approved online database.
    2. For frozen semen from deceased dogs, either an ophthalmology examination within 18 months of the date of death, or status that was in compliance with the Code of Ethics in effect at the time of the dog’s death, will be considered current.
Neither parent dogs looks to have anywhere near all of these clearances. Puppies from these parents are likely to be very health-risky.

Reactions: MyWayGoldens

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is there any way you would consider changing your timeline? I note you previously mentioned you would like to bring a pup home this summer/fall, which means that pups would need to be born already or due very soon. Unfortunately the breeders who adhere to the GRCA Code of Ethics-which is the type of breeder you should want-will most likely not have pups available for you with your time constraint. I notice this is the third breeder you have asked about that has gotten less than stellar feedback, which I understand must be frustrating (a year ago I was doing the same and saw similar responses from members here on at least 20 BYB and worse), but if you can be more flexible with your timing then I think it would really give you more opportunities to get a well bred pup from a reputable COE-abiding breeder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts