Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello~ (excuse my english as its not my mother tongue)

I found a golden retriever who was left in dog park about 5weeks ago - I passed this park everyday as its on the way to our home and she was always sitting by the gate at night.

She was very friendly and calm but somewhat skinny; some people offered her food but she did not eat any as she was there for about 4days.. she had no collar either and no one saw anyone coming to see her.

I took her my home when rain started a few days later. I offered her canned dog food and water but she only drank water.. I noticed that she had weird lump inside her mouth which the vet had it removed after that day(surgery); The vet said it was infected so she was not able to eat anything.

She eats fine and gaining weight and very sweet now.. last week I noticed that her breast and nipple are getting enlarged so I took her to vet.
Vet wanted to do ultrasound as she was not sure how far along she was; Ultrasound showed nothing and vet told me she is going through false(?) pregnancy,, like she thinks that shes pregnant when she is not.

the vet told me to come back about a month later to spay her but I am worried..she is getting bigger I think and I think I just felt somewhat tiny movement when I was petting her tummy; vet office shaved her belly for the ultrasound so I touch her tummy everynight! its so soft and she likes it!

I called a vet and she said she was 100% sure there ware no puppies and just bring her back about a month later.. I am just worried after reading such horrible stories of pregnant dogs.

I hope the vets right and I do not want to wake up one day something happened..I am confused...

She seems picky eater so I give her boiled chicken and scrambled eggs mixed with dog food(vet told me) otherwise she will not really eat the dog food... I bought 'taste of the wild dried food' as google said its good..

I added some picture of her to you guys to see and give me some advise.. Is there anything I should do for her? or is she going to be ok? She mostly lay on her doggy bed or follow me around.

Thank you!

Ps. Sorry for the bad paint editing on picture!.. did not know how to explain this

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You for taking her into your home. She is a very lucky girl to have been found by you. I don't know anything about pregnancies or false pregnancies. Hopefully another member with more information will see your Thread and make a comment.

Will you be keeping her?
Yes, I would love to. shes very nice and sweet dog but I do not want bunch of puppies ..have no clue how to deal with it and what to do if that is the case..

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
No idea about the pregnancy/false pregnancy but thank you so much for taking this poor girl in. The pic of her laying on her bed is so heart warming and sweet, especially considering the life she had before you found her.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Dixon where are you located ?????

False pregnancies are very common and you should find that it goes away on its own... in the meantime you might find that she is snuggling toys and such as surrogate pups. If they did the ultrasound and found nothing then it probably is a false pregnancy but there is always a chance of one or two pups hiding up in there somewhere...

considering how she looks I am wondering if she didn't recently have a litter...

did the vet say why she couldn't spay her now??? instead of waiting

just my two cents

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I TO AM WONDERING, IF SHE HAD A LITTER ALREADY, she looks so sweet, please take good care of her, find a good vet, get her some good dog food, thanks for taking her.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dixon where are you located ?????

False pregnancies are very common and you should find that it goes away on its own... in the meantime you might find that she is snuggling toys and such as surrogate pups. If they did the ultrasound and found nothing then it probably is a false pregnancy but there is always a chance of one or two pups hiding up in there somewhere...

considering how she looks I am wondering if she didn't recently have a litter...

did the vet say why she couldn't spay her now??? instead of waiting

just my two cents
She had flat tummy when I brought her home about 5weeks ago. she had to have surgery to remove infected lump? in her mouth and she had hard time recovering after that. My vet wanted to give her some break time before she goes into another surgery which required to be in sleep.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many day's was she just left there tied up?
She was not tied up, she was just left in the park; that park was fenced all around and you open the two gate doors to get in with your dog. so someone brought her there and left without her/closed the door behind her.

I saw her 4 days but the lady said she was sleeping in there about a week.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Dixon

Dixon

Did she have surgery to remove something from her mouth?
Is she eating and drinking and going to bathroom now?
Are her gums pink?
When did the vet last see her?
She is a beauty-what did you name her?

·
Registered
169 Posts
You've done a wonderful thing taking her into your home! She's a beautiful girl and very lucky to have you :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dixon

Did she have surgery to remove something from her mouth?
Is she eating and drinking and going to bathroom now?
Are her gums pink?
When did the vet last see her?
She is a beauty-what did you name her?
Yes, she had surgery about 5weeks ago, a day after I brought her home
she had lump right next to her left molars.

Yes, shes fine now with mouth issues, she eats and use bathroom fine but she had a somewhat soft stool about two days now so I am feeding her boiled chicken and rice. She saw vet about 1.5weeks ago for ultrasound

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts

What did they remove from her Mouth?
Was it biopsied?
Are her gums pink and healthy looking?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What did they remove from her Mouth?
Was it biopsied?
Are her gums pink and healthy looking?
I can not remember the name (sorry, english is not my first language and I have hard time remembering hard words) but the vet explained that she had infected area which cause her pain when chew or touched. it was filled with pus.

I just checked and her gum is pink and fine looking!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts

Pink gums are healthy-means she is not dehydrated.
She probably had an abcess on her tooth or gum. Thank heavens it was not cancer.I would keep an eye on her but if she is eating, drinking and going to bathroom, she is probably o.k.
What is her NAME? She is beautiful! Bless you for saving her!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pink gums are healthy-means she is not dehydrated.
She probably had an abcess on her tooth or gum. Thank heavens it was not cancer.I would keep an eye on her but if she is eating, drinking and going to bathroom, she is probably o.k.
What is her NAME? She is beautiful! Bless you for saving her!!
We named her Apple but I kept thinking somethings inside her. I put my palm on her tummy then I feel little nudges or feels like somethings moving around....like fluttering..

maybe I am just too worried. :(

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
It could be that you're feeling her digestive process, especially if she was having soft stools recently.

I love the name Apple, I think it's sweet. I hope this is just a false pregnancy, but if she does have puppies that the ultrasound missed, maybe you can contact a Golden Rescue in your area who can help with the pups until they are ready to go to new homes and you can keep Apple. I'd think puppies would be easy to place, especially Goldens or Golden mix.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts