Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum after just visiting for several months as we chose a breeder and picked our pup last weekend. I'm now asking for your help or advice: I got a call from our breeder today that another puppy in our litter went home with his family yesterday and was showing signs of parvo (vomiting and diarrhea). She said she brought the puppy back and will keep us updated as to the status of our puppy, as we're supposed to bring him home next weekend (at which time he will be 8 weeks old).

Though the parvo diagnosis isn't confirmed, she did not seem concerned and said that with a round of antibiotics from the vet, the pup would be fine and we shouldn't worry. I was under the impression that parvo was more serious in puppies and I don't want to bring home what I *thought* was a healthy puppy only for him to come down with the infection 8 or 10 days later.

If the other puppy's parvo is confirmed, what should I do? We were so excited to finally bring our puppy home and now I'm worried I'm in for heartbreak.
 

·
Dr. Rainheart
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
Before jumping the gun... wait and see if this actually is parvovirus.... that is the best advice to give right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,630 Posts
If it is parvo and the breeder will keep the puppy until it is healed maybe you just will have to wait a couple of weeks to pick it up. I wouldnt want to bring it home until it is healthy. But I agree it may not be parvo. It could be a parasite.
 

·
Noreaster
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
If she even suspects parvo and she's not concerned...that's concerning. if you've ever seen a parvo puppy, it's heartbreaking. And the shed virus can remain contagious on her grounds for years. If I were a breeder, I would be scared to death.

What are her credentials? Has any of this been confirmed by a vet?

Are you sure she said parvo and not giardia or something?
 

·
Dr. Rainheart
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
Apparently I didn't read the entire thread well enough.

I definitely hope she is taking this puppy to the veterinarian. Antibiotics are not the treatment used for parvovirus (it is a virus, after all). They may be helpful at some point in the treatment for any secondary infections... Hookworms are also notorious for causing the same signs of Parvovirus, too. Whatever the case, she needs to take this puppy in and get him/her evaluated properly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She did say she was taking the other puppy to be tested at the vet. Maybe I'm jumping the gun in getting worried, since I don't even know if it's parvo yet.

If the other puppy does indeed have parvo, should I ask that the breeder keep our pup for a certain amount of time in case he comes down with symptoms? Or is it riskier for her to keep him since the virus is so contagious?

I honestly felt good about this breeder. She was very transparent about providing the parents health certifications. I don't know if she was trying to keep me calm by acting unconcerned. This just isn't the news I wanted to hear a week before we get to bring our pup home.
 

·
Noreaster
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
Oh, no.

I'm hoping the breeder experts here will weigh in...I suppose it could happen to anyone, although I would think most good breeders would be SCRUPULOUS about avoiding the risks...honestly, it's a very big deal. Puppies and older dogs often do not survive this and it requires IV fluids and hospitalization in isolation in many cases.

Do you have a good relationship with your vet so you can weigh and discuss the risks here? I don't know myself if your puppy would shed the virus even if she remains asymptomatic or if this is something that could break through if she became ill from something else or even just the stress of going to a new home?

ETA: just reread your OP...if the breeder honestly thought a round of antibiotics was going to clear this right up, that's a huge red flag just in terms of basic knowledge. I would wonder what else she's not aware of.

ETA2: Found this..it's Wiki, so I would confirm with your vet..

"A dog that successfully recovers from CPV2 generally remains contagious for up to three weeks, but it is possible they may remain contagious for up to six. Ongoing infection risk is primarily from fecal contamination of the environment due to the virus's ability to survive many months in the environment. Neighbours and family members with dogs should be notified of infected animals so that they can ensure that their dogs are vaccinated or tested for immunity."
 

·
Dr. Rainheart
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
I *personally* would not take home a puppy from a breeder with parvo. Unfortunately, that is the breeders responsibility- the whole litter is exposed at this point. She is going to have a lot on her plate. Depends if they catch it early and how the pups are doing if they can pull through it.
Is this a reputable breeder?
Again, I think I would either pass on the litter, or wait it out for a few more weeks if you are definitely set on this puppy.
Parvo is also, unfortunately, pretty resilient in the environment...
 

·
where the tails wag
Joined
·
13,384 Posts
Personally, I would hold off on bringing the puppy into my home. The puppy has been exposed and needs constant monitoring and may require treatment/hospitalization. This is very risky and expensive !! If the puppies all pull through there is also the environmental contamination aspect, you do not want to risk introducing the parvo virus in your home and yard.

Very very sad but a good breeder will keep those puppies until they are clear of illness -- and keep all other dogs/puppies away from her dogs, exposed or sick.
People should also be kept away to avoid exposing the puppies to additional risks and to avoid people spreading the virus via their shoes and clothes.

I give serious kudos to your breeder for being so proactive and upfront about the issue and I am sending lots of good thoughts that the sick puppy fully recovers and her other dogs & puppies stay well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,245 Posts
I just want to say I adopted a 4 month old GR puppy who survived parvo and was put into a shelter for adoption. He was found on the street by a veterinarian, tested and then placed with the shelter. He lived until 13 1/2 years and died of hemangiosarcoma. Except for severe hip dysplasia, he was very healthy until the end.

I personally would want the breeder to keep the puppy until puppy is not contagious. Parvo can be very expensive to treat and also puts dogs in your area at risk for contagion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,950 Posts
Tamiflu is successfully being used against Parvo, when started early.
She was smart to let you know as soon as she suspected it. Hopefully she will keep the puppies until they are clear.

The virus is not killed by cold, but it is heat and light sensitive.
Talk with your vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your input, everyone. We are being very cautious and our breeder has offered to keep our puppy for the next two weeks to ensure that he's absolutely healthy when we bring him home. I would think that if he's not showing symptoms after two weeks, we would be in the clear.


As of today, he is eating and drinking and showing no symptoms. We have our fingers crossed!
 

·
Dr. Rainheart
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
Sounds like you have a very wonderful and thoughtful breeder. Hoping for the best for your puppy!
 

·
Noreaster
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
Not to be a downer here, but I would still check with your vet to see what precautions you might need to take. You wouldn't want to expose other dogs in your neighborhood or even in your vet clinic to any shed virus.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Eowyn and Lilliam

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did call our vet yesterday. I wanted to make sure she was aware of the situation and she and I talked through several scenarios to make sure we're keeping our puppy and others safe when we bring him home.

Thank you for all of your input!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top