Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have 9-week old golden retriever puppy who has taken to biting viciously when frustrated / seeking attention. I have tried being still and walking away, but he simply jumps at my ankles from behind. Restraining him just eggs him on. By this point, any toys or treats won't distract him. Clearly, I am doing something wrong, and would appreciate any help/advice! Thanks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The "NO" command. Teach and reinforce it.
He is just a puppy, playing and maybe trying to establish his place in the pecking order.
Walking away, ignoring or distracting him does not address the issue.

When he bites pinch his lip against his tooth too show him that it hurts, calmly command NO as you do it. It may take many repetitions to correct the behavior, be patient. Sometimes sticking a finger down a pups throat works even better than a lip pinch.
You need to be ready to praise him the instant he stops trying to bite. At first it may only be a second before he tries to bite again.

·
Registered
919 Posts
At 9 weeks I gently but firmly grab by the scruff of the neck and give a gentle shake while saying NO or Ahh Ahh Ahh. (While I’m holding them playing with them) Lord I Hope I’m describing this well. It’s not harsh but firm. No shaken baby syndrome.

It mimics how puppies correct each other. It works.

Other thing is you bought a Golden they are mouthy and will be. Be prepared for 3-4 months of it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My vet told us to press down on the tongue with our thumb. I don't know if it works for everyone but worked for us. Good luck.
Jules

1 - 4 of 4 Posts