Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
My wife is preggers and her body releases relaxin as well I am told by the doc. Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't relaxin a hormone released to help the womans inside's (i.e. cartilage, certain organs, hips) adjust for the birthing process?

My wife is preggers and her body releases relaxin as well I am told by the doc. Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't relaxin a hormone released to help the womans inside's (i.e. cartilage, certain organs, hips) adjust for the birthing process?
That's true, but apparently the OTC pregnancy test kits are checking for hormones that humans and dogs do not share.

As for relaxin, I could SURE use some of that! :D

I'd check with your vet for options too. Do you want these puppies? A learning experience that should not be repeated...Good Luck!

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Sorry I didn't respond more yesterday, I was at work when I posted this and left for the day. It is just coincidental that my post is similar to the other post. I have two pure breed Golden Retrievers, no labs. I have an appointment next week to have my girl checked by the vet. Once the pregnancy (if she even is pregnant) is over, we are getting her spayed. We do want the puppies, we have three family members that have already asked for one of their pups as well as two neighbors that love our dogs and want one of their pups as well. Thank you everyone that has had constructive advice and has been willing to help out, I REALLY appreciate it!!!!

Sorry I didn't respond more yesterday, I was at work when I posted this and left for the day. It is just coincidental that my post is similar to the other post. I have two pure breed Golden Retrievers, no labs. I have an appointment next week to have my girl checked by the vet. Once the pregnancy (if she even is pregnant) is over, we are getting her spayed. We do want the puppies, we have three family members that have already asked for one of their pups as well as two neighbors that love our dogs and want one of their pups as well. Thank you everyone that has had constructive advice and has been willing to help out, I REALLY appreciate it!!!!

Hmm. The chances of a pregnancy occurring as the result of one accidental breeding are usually slim. But four are hard to consider "accidents".

And that is a conincidence, isn't it, that much of your post contained sentences that were, verbatim , identical to the one referred to.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Like I said, the original time was an accident, after that we were aware of the "chances." And yes, I understand I have similar text as the other post, I appologize if this seems to upset any of you, but is that the topic at hand...no it is not. I am not looking to be lectured about how my post is worded, I am simply looking for advice for my dogs. I see now that maybe asking for more experienced peoples advice was the wrong choice. I just thought people would be more constructive with their time and maybe assist me. Those of you that have been helpful, I cannot stress enough how thankful I am for your willingness to help and not lecture. And for those of you that would like to be kept updated I am more than happy to let you know the out come....

Like I said, the original time was an accident, after that we were aware of the "chances." And yes, I understand I have similar text as the other post, I appologize if this seems to upset any of you, but is that the topic at hand...no it is not. I am not looking to be lectured about how my post is worded, I am simply looking for advice for my dogs. I see now that maybe asking for more experienced peoples advice was the wrong choice. I just thought people would be more constructive with their time and maybe assist me. Those of you that have been helpful, I cannot stress enough how thankful I am for your willingness to help and not lecture. And for those of you that would like to be kept updated I am more than happy to let you know the out come....

Deja vu.

Perhaps, if nothing else, this can help to educate others. IF an "accidental" breeding occurs, and the owners do not want a litter, and were planning to have the dog spayed, it can be done after the dog comes out of season. And IF an "accidental" breeding occurs, the chances of a pregnancy resulting are much less after ONE tie, and a responsible owner will do everything in their power to not let another one happen, thereby increasing the chances of that unwanted pregnancy.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
I don't know why I feel like I need to explain myself, but I do. After we saw the first "tie" we discussed it and decided to allow them to continue. We have always wanted to have a litter of our own and decided to let it go forward from there. The initial connection was an accident, the ones after that were not. We are responsible owners and it is unfair for people to judge others based on us allowing our dog to become pregnant. As I also stated, WE DO WANT THE PUPPIES!!!

I don't know why I feel like I need to explain myself, but I do. After we saw the first "tie" we discussed it and decided to allow them to continue. We have always wanted to have a litter of our own and decided to let it go forward from there. The initial connection was an accident, the ones after that were not. We are responsible owners and it is unfair for people to judge others based on us allowing our dog to become pregnant. As I also stated, WE DO WANT THE PUPPIES!!!
I'm sorry, but it is NOT responsible to allow a year old bitch to have puppies. And I won't even get into the clearance piece of the issue.

Sorry, but a "responsible" owner doesn't allow a 1-year-old bitch with (presumably) no clearances to become pregnant by their other dog. An accidental breeding is one thing; allowing the dogs to mate several more times is totally irresponsible. You could have had your bitch spayed after the initial mating. Instead, you chose to allow her to mate repeatedly, thereby almost ensuring her pregnancy. I have watched too many dogs be euthanized in animal shelters and donated too much money and effort to rescue groups to bite my tongue about this any longer.

My year old little girl might be pregnant. My husband and I are planning on spaying her, but heard it was better for her if we waited until she was a year old and had gone through one cycle. Well we found our male and female "connected." From everything I have read, the chances of her being pregnant seem very high. I've also read that there is no sure way to be able to tell if she is pregnant until she is farther along and until we take her to the vet. I just wanted to see if there is anything I could look or watch for to be able to possibly tell? Please, I need constructive advice, and not lectures! I am already fully aware that my husband and I should have been more careful with our two babies. This seems like a great community for golden retriever lovers, and I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some advice.
Above are the first original post and your last one. I don't see a reason why you need help if you planned to keep them in the first place. I mean seriously, theres nothing to help you on. If you need to know if their pregnant, theres help on how to tell on the forum. Your posts to me sounded as if you planned to try to abort the pups and that alone seemed to get everyones feathers on a ruffle after you mentioned that they had tied several times after the first initial tying. So it made you out to be a wacko that continued to allow her goldens to mate, when in retrospect you wanted to avoid a pregnancy. Basically from post one you contradicted yourself several times, and to come here just be honest with us, you may get blasted by some people, but thats their motherly instincts to our goldens. Also please punch your husband in the eye for thinking a young male doesn't know how to tie with a female of any age... Now soak up the tears, and prepare to have 5-8 pups. Also she may have some birth problems, so study up on how to assist a female golden during her pregnancy in case a pup gets stuck coming throuhg the canal.. Better yet let your husband do it since he was the clutz that thought a male wouldnt tie with a female.. he should get a kick out of stiicking his fingers in the canal to turn the pup.. :) Don't think of anyone here being mean or harsh, we respect responsible dog owners.

4 Matings? I think it's pretty certain you have Puppies on the way...

I am unsure as to what day on her cycle she was on. We would keep an eye on them when we would let them outside together, but she was not being receptive to him at all. My husband felt they did not "know" what to do. I told him he was an idiot for thinking that. He then let them out unattended a few times after that and that was when we found them connected for the first time. That was 3 weeks ago. They connected 3 more times after that, the last time being two weeks ago.

I am unsure as to what day on her cycle she was on. We would keep an eye on them when we would let them outside together, but she was not being receptive to him at all. My husband felt they did not "know" what to do. I told him he was an idiot for thinking that. He then let them out unattended a few times after that and that was when we found them connected for the first time. That was 3 weeks ago. They connected 3 more times after that, the last time being two weeks ago.
First it sounded like somehow your husband made a mistake in allowing them to breed. Now you are saying that you intended for them to breed. So now you are saying that you are all for breeding a puppy and allowing her to have a litter. To me that is just terrible. She is approximately as physically mature as a 14 year old girl. Just because she has the "parts" to breed doesn't mean that she should be allowed to have a baby or babies. What a shame.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
If I didn't care do you think I would have posted and taken the chance of getting "beaten" by peoples words. I NEVER asked for help to end the pregnancy. I personally do not believe in abortion for any species. Again, thanks to all that have given me some information I can use. I am now going to leave this site as it does not seem to be as freindly of a group as I had hoped. My Goldens are my babies, I admit I am not a breeder of any sort and therefore know NOTHING about breeding. I was not aware of age limits or anything else that came with breeding. You are right, I am irresponsible according to all of you and I appologize if I upset you. That was never my intention. I love my dogs very much and they are incredible dogs. We planned on adding another to our family and it looks like we will get to after all. Enjoy your next victim that asks for help guys, you do it well.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.