Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Payton is almost 12 weeks old and she's getting really bad at biting people. We've tried all these things to get her to stop and no luck;

* We tell her NO BITE
* We put a toy in her mouth, she either takes the toy, but as soon as we let go of the toy she lets go and she lunges toward our hands. Or she ignores the toy and tries to bite our hands.
* Turning around and ignoring her - she bites the back of my calf or my heel!
* Putting my hands behind my back so she can't get them - she bites my stomach
* Saying OUCH real loud or in a high pitch voice - no response from her!
* We've put her in her crate for a while to calm down, but as soon as she's out she's back to trying to bite me.
* She even tries to bite us when we are petting her, unless we are petting her stomach, then she's usually fine.
* We tell her to SIT and she sits, but then it's time to bite again. She's slowly learning STAY, but she still wants to bite after we let her up.
* If I can I put her paw or tail in her mouth when she's biting and that will last about 30 seconds, then it's back to attack me!

She gets at least one long walk a day and we play fetch with the tennis ball for at least 10 minutes every time she goes out to potty.
I know Golden's are "mouthy" and love to chew on stuff, but not me! She has so many toys, which we only have a few out at a time, but she prefers to bite us. Any help would be appreciated. -Thanks!

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Sadly Harley used to bite and nip up until about 8 months of age. He was never overly rough but didn't necessarily stop on command. After that he was much calmer and easier to handle. But, those first few months!!! Ohhhhh boy!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her bite used to be softer, but now she's biting harder! My hands and arms look terrible! I wish she was out of this stage now, I don't know if I can last 5 more months! ;)

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Try spray your hands with bitter apple...I'm spraying all electrical cords, furniture, zippers, and whatnot with it, and sofar that seems to work with Tess. I know that she is much younger, but she is a real chewer...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wish I had more advice for you, but Bauer is 12 weeks old and well... ditto. We do two things that seem to help. First, we stand up and ignore. He will usually have one or two last nips and then walk away. Sometimes he try's to sneak a quick hump in on our leg too, but he will walk away. The other thing we do is get a small handful of cheerios and start working with him. He will usually calm down right away and work on his sits, downs, and stays. But once the cheerios run out, he's back at it.

He generally isn't bad unless he's getting tired. He has a tough time settling in to sleep and gets cranky. Just like a baby, he fights sleep.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Oscar was exactly the same! Now at 4.5 months he has gotten muuuch better (well, still some bites here and there tho, when he gets into 'crazy' mode!). All those things you are doing we tried, but I'm not sure exactly what "worked" for us, except "time"!!

But, here's what I did that I think worked best... because Oscar was always coming after ME versus my boyfriend LOL... when Oscar was biting me, I would stand up and try to ignore him (turn facing the wall, stand like a statue). But as you say, often they just go after you harder LOL so I'd walk (or RUN) down the hall and close myself in the bathroom or another room, leaving Oscar on the other side of the door. He would be so sad, waiting for me to come out and whining! I'd come out after like 30 seconds or a minute, and often he'd just try it again.. but after a few repetitions of that sequence, he would eventually stop the biting or trying to grab my pants/shirt, and we would go off and play with another toy together.

Coupled with saying "AH-AH" or "NO BITE" during playing, after a while, I noticed the behavior decreasing in frequency. I dunno if it was directly attributable to our actions, or just him "maturing" a bit, but it DOES GET BETTER :D yay!

Good luck to you, enjoy that little cutie while she is still little :)

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Find an awesome chew bone (like a bully stick, maybe) and try subbing that for your hand. Patience and consistency. Hang in there....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well last night I tried the squirt bottle. Needless to say by the time the hubby got home from work, he was like "did you give her a bath?". She was soaked. It would stop her from biting me or something else, but then she wanted to bite the bottle or else send her in one of her zoomies.

At one point my son had the bottle and she was trying to bite the end where the water comes out. Well she put her paw up and hit the trigger and squirted herself. It was funny! We also went and purchased some Bitter Apple and that worked great on the rugs and furniture. I'll try it on my hand next time she's in one of her moods!

Thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've used Bitter Apple spray before with some success but never had any luck with it on my hands. Not sure why.

·
Registered
22 Posts
my dog is petrified of the bitter spray but he is also smart, if i dont have it on me, he is like bite bite, but if i show the bottle he stops immediately.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Wow it sounds like you are talking about my Josie! She's 12 weeks and a terrible biter and a growler too! At first it really freaked me out, but I've come to realize she's just noisy like the rest of my kids. ;) I am substituting a toy, saying NO BITE, putting her to work on her commands, etc. Just when I think its getting better, she's right back to it. Tonight I took her outside and just ran back in forth in the yard with her, getting all that energy out, and she's finally lying quietly chewing on a frozen washcloth. Some advice I got here on the forum - Binanca mouth spray works even better than the bitter apple. Josie HATES it, and it smells really nice to me! Hopefully in a few months we'll be giving advice to other new puppy owners, saying it gets better with time!:)

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Well last night I tried the squirt bottle. Needless to say by the time the hubby got home from work, he was like "did you give her a bath?". She was soaked. It would stop her from biting me or something else, but then she wanted to bite the bottle or else send her in one of her zoomies.
Sorry had to laugh....we tried the squirt bottle with Chester when he was a puppy...I don't think squirting water on a golden works very well, he thought it was play time too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried the Bitter Apple on the hands. First time it worked, next time nope!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Water bottle doesn't work with Payton, she thinks it something to play with and get drinks of water with. The bitter apple spray keeps her from biting on furniture, but she likes to attack it. She's weird I know. I still can't get her to stop attacking me. She growls and lunges at me. I know she thinks I'm her play mate, but it's driving me crazy. Anyhoo, just venting!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Same problem here! Chloe is ten weeks old and is a biting machine!!! Reminds me of those wind-up teeth! LOL

I also tried everything you did! I understand that it's a phase, but my poor hands are taking quite a beating! She likes to bite my hair too!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
What works with Tess (also 10 weeks...), is scream really in a loud voice: Auw! Tess! She'll usually back down then, so that's the moment to put a nylabone in the mouth. She's still manageable, though, and usually reacts quite good if I tell her "softly, good girl". But that may change, of course!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Josie is putting up a big fight on the leash lately, growling and biting, and trying to play tug of war with it. When I don't play along, she starts going after me, biting my pants and my coat. And when she can get a hold of my hand, it really hurts!!! I really hope to get a handle on this, I can't imagine what it will be like 3 months from now when she's a big dog. I tried vicks vapor rub, she actually liked the taste I think. I'm afraid to try the binaca because she won't go near anything I spray with that. I don't want her to hate going out! Any advice?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm quoting the following paragraph I lifted off the Dr. Foster and Smith website:
13 - 16 weeks of age
Your pup begins to see and use dominant and submissive rankings between himself, other dogs, and humans. He also starts teething, which is marked by his incessant chewing of any available object

I bet Payton is teething or starting teething. That's what it sounds like to me.
I remember going through that; I thought I would go insane. Those puppy teeth are like little needles.

When Boomer was a puppy I just about continously said "ah ah" (the correction noise) then popped something ok to chew into his mouth. Sometimes it felt like I was literally doing it every 2 seconds.
**We also gave him ice cubes to chew and he loved them.**
We put him in his crate when we couldn't directly supervise him.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts