Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parker is suffering from diarrhea. I called the vet and he thinks that parker eat something he shouldnt have. IDN what but something. (parker threw up a couple times once with little jelly blood pieces and followed with diarrhea now but not vomiting any more.)
Anyway, what the vet told me was to give him baking soda in his water, take him off all food fore 24 hrs, give him pepto bismol and immodium. Well i did all this and ended up taking parker to the vet. He tested his fecal matter and said that it was almost cleared up and gave him an antibiotic and liquid for upset stomach and told me to continue with the baking soda in the water.
Well Monday evening no diarrhea and tuesday no diarrhea. I thought he was better. all the time he was eating as usual. This morning the diarrhea is back.

Should I change his food or what would you do?:confused:

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
It sounds like parasites, and some of the things your vet told you to do make no sense to me. Sometimes a fecal test will show no parasites, but the dog still has coccidia or giardia.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I agree with Tippy....maybe get a second opinion? My main concern is dehydration.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am just finnishing a simular thing with my Kona. sunday night he threw up, then monday the first two sools were a little soft. then monday afternoon he had a bout of explosive diahrea, threw up 10 min later then 10 min after than another explosion. I took him to the Vet to be safe and he showed me how to check for dehidration and told me to take him off food till it started to look better. it felt like he had eaten something that was restricting him but the vet wasn't to worried as it felt soft and didn't cause the dog any discomfort, so he recomended me waiting a day to see how he did and yesterday morning/afternoon, pooping still looked like a garden hose. last night it was a thick pudding, so I gave him a bit of food as he was feeling better also. this morning was a little soft but otherwise normal and he is back to being the PITA that he normal is :) still sleeping a bit more but otherwise normal.

Steve

·
Registered
277 Posts
Take them off food altogether? we switch our guy to rice and ground chicken when he has the runs. we also get an antibiotic from the vet for 5 days.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Sometimes vets will advise a short fast when there are serious GI issues. You have to be SUPER careful doing it, especially if the dog is a puppy, but there are times when it helps. You can get many of the benefits of fasting by switching to a bland diet (boiled ground chicken and rice) with very small portions instead, though I'd always say you should do what your vet recommends rather than listen to an internet forum, and that applies to my own suggestions too.

Intermittent diarrhea and vomiting, especially when you get a few days of solid stools and no puking, is often a sign of a parasite like coccidia or giardia, since the dog's immune system catches up during one part of the parasite's life cycle, but then you get a flareup when the new round of parasites hatches. Treatment for those two is metronidazole (Flagyl).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Take them off food altogether? we switch our guy to rice and ground chicken when he has the runs. we also get an antibiotic from the vet for 5 days.
ya, his theory was something was partial blocking him and had upset his stomach, so giving food with an upset stomach will keep upsetting it and can cause a full blockage. so I just made sure he was getting water and not dehydrating. this allows his stomach to settle down then I gave him tiny feedings about 30 min apart in the morning that totaled about 30% of his mormal feedings to see if he would keep it down. for his supper feeding I gave him about 1/2 of what he would normaly get. then this morning he got 1/2 his normal breakfast. if his stools stay good today he will get a full supper. hopefully this is all done as he starts his puppy kindergarden tomorrow night.

Steve

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
What about adding a good quality yogurt with the healthy bacteria, since your on antibiotics? I give my 9 week old Maggie Stonyfield plain yougurt in her Kong.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
What about adding a good quality yogurt with the healthy bacteria, since your on antibiotics? I give my 9 week old Maggie Stonyfield plain yougurt in her Kong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He hasnt vomited since last Thursday morning when he had the lil jelly like pieces of blood in it and it was mostly mucasy throwup, TMI. He seemed better after two days of the antibiotics and upset upset stomach solution. Then this morning he had bad yellow diarrhea again. I give him milk bones for snacks and he eats Blue Buffalo large breed dry and blue buff canned 1 tablespoon per bowl of food. Maybe it is just to much for him right away. I will try the boiled chicken and rice tonight.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He thought Parker might have gotten into something like pork or bologna (because of the blood in his vomit) and may have caused infection. Not sure about this though. He also gave Parker a shot of something, not sure of that either (I know I should have asked more questions).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts