Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Our 5 month old golden puppy Bella is our older golden Rascal's younger sister. They get along really well and love to play, but recently she has developed some concerning behavior. Whenever he is chewing on a bone such as a pig skin chew or a buffalo horn she will lay near him and growl and bark at him. This will happen even if she has the same exact chew in her possession! At times she will go up to him and take it from him and then have both chews in her possession. My sweet Rascal will just let her take the bone most of the time. The only time he will growl or react is if it's something he truly loves and doesn't feel like sharing at the moment, like a ball.

Any advice on what to do? I've tried sternly saying her name when she growls and putting her in her crate for 10-15 minutes if she doesn't listen (she normally is only crated at bedtime so this is a punishment for her), or tried distracting her by giving her her own chew back so she realizes she already has one and doesn't need to get upset over his. I feel like she is in a rebellious phase and is trying to exert dominance over him.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Hi everyone,

Our 5 month old golden puppy Bella is our older golden Rascal's younger sister. They get along really well and love to play, but recently she has developed some concerning behavior. Whenever he is chewing on a bone such as a pig skin chew or a buffalo horn she will lay near him and growl and bark at him. This will happen even if she has the same exact chew in her possession! At times she will go up to him and take it from him and then have both chews in her possession. My sweet Rascal will just let her take the bone most of the time. The only time he will growl or react is if it's something he truly loves and doesn't feel like sharing at the moment, like a ball.

Any advice on what to do? I've tried sternly saying her name when she growls and putting her in her crate for 10-15 minutes if she doesn't listen (she normally is only crated at bedtime so this is a punishment for her), or tried distracting her by giving her her own chew back so she realizes she already has one and doesn't need to get upset over his. I feel like she is in a rebellious phase and is trying to exert dominance over him.
I had a very tolerant older Golden who would let our little Bichon take all kinds of things away from her UNLESS it was something she really wanted and then she would just say no in some kind of dog language and the Bichon got the message loud and clear. I just let them work it out.

·
Super Moderator
402 Posts
i have a 3 dog household and all 3 have learnt, after some correction ( from each other) to respect things like chews and food as off limits to one another. Usually it just takes one correction from another dog for them to get the message.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts