Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my neighbour just complained that ice is barking excessively at night. what do i do?

1) Will neutering him make a difference?
2) Keep him in the backyard and build a shelter for him?
3) Muzzle him whenever he barks so as to teach him not to bark excessively?

Really feeling stressed as I'm afraid the neighbour will lodge a complaint against me and I don't want relations to turn sour. I'm afraid if a solution can't be found soon that will happen.

help pls. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well he does bark at night when the neighbours come home.. i'm not sure why. when he first got him, he wasn't that aggressive. it's really stressful. because my parents wont allow him in the house. It's either the front or the back yard. but back yard there isn't any shelter. should i just muzzle him at night? :(

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
I'm confused. Do you keep Ice in the backyard at night?
For now I'd say to completely wear out Ice before bed. That way he can sleep through the night.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it'll take a lot to wear him out. as he is only almost 2 and un neutered. that's why am wondering if neutering him will make him less agitated when someone else passes by.

i keep ice out at the front during the night where he is in the full view of the main road. am nt sure if that's what keeps him barking.

as am typing this, i can hear the neighbour's miata revving nearby. i wonder what he'll do if ice persists barking tonight..

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Ice would do better if your parents would let him in the house. He's barking because that is what most dogs do to alert you that someone is near. It may just be that your neighbors don't like the idea that you have to keep him outdoors. Goldens like to be with their family.

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
well you are not going to like my response ...Ice needs to be indoors with his family. Goldens are people dogs and there is no wonder he is barking...

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
He really needs to be inside with you. But if your parents won't allow that, you need to move him to the back so that he is not alerted to every move made on the street and from neighbors houses. What kind of shelter does he have in the front yard?

DO NOT MUZZLE HIM - never ever muzzle a dog unless you are right there with the dog watching it the entire time he is muzzled. It will not teach him not to bark, it will only frustrate him, and if you muzzle him unsupervised he could be hurt and have no way to let you know, and he would not be able to drink or eat.

Is there anyway you could bring him in at night maybe in the kitchen, laundry room or a bathroom?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the front yard is big enough for him to run around freely. just that he gets to agitated when people return home with the car engines running and so on. i would love to keep him at the front. just that he's pretty senstitive with strangers.

is it possible to block his view from the street at night? so at least he can rest peacefully? or is he alerted by the sounds and smells?

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
the front yard is big enough for him to run around freely. just that he gets to agitated when people return home with the car engines running and so on. i would love to keep him at the front. just that he's pretty senstitive with strangers.

is it possible to block his view from the street at night? so at least he can rest peacefully? or is he alerted by the sounds and smells?
Probably not. I think dogs are able to hear sounds from 4 miles away. Their ability to smell scents is just as amazing.

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts

IMO dogs should not be left outdoors at night. If I was your neighbor I would be annoyed as well. I know here if my dogs start to bark for whatever reason they are brought inside, as I respect my neighbors right to quiet, in the day and at night. Do you have a garage at least where he can be put at night? What happens in inclement weather? Does the poor soul stay out in it??? I am sorry if this sounds harsh but I can't see the reasoning of having a companion if it can't be indoors with his family.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think you'll find that the consensus here will be for you Golden to be in the house with you, since Goldens are people dogs they want to be with them or at least near enough to them where they can see you. See if your parents will allow you dog to come in at night and stay in a crate in your room.

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
If there is no way to compromise with your parents and allow Ice inside at night, then you need to move him to back yard just at night to help stop the barking. But honestly that may not work either, since he can still see and smell anything that's going on around your home.

Have a mature conversation with your parents about how you don't want Ice barking at night bothering the neighbors and that you will take responsibility for him and make a place in the house for him to sleep.

·
16,000 Posts
If this dog cannot be inside with you, you should consider re-homing him to a family where he can be.
Additionally, keeping an un-neutered male outdoors is aksing for trouble - he should be altered to prevent him from being part of an unplanned litter (I have to assume that he has not had clearances done) as well as for compelling health reasons.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I agree he should be indoors also. Would your parents allow you to have him in your room with you at night, crated if necessary? Golden's are especially social creatures. Your boy just wants to be with his humans. I'd also be concerned for his safety when left alone outdoors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts