Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 4month old golden male pup who has a few issues I was hoping folks on the forum could help me out with. Here goes:

Issue 1 - Peeing all over the place:
I have had 3 goldens previously and currently have an 11 month old golden and the 4 month old puppy and never had a training issue until now. My puppy was peeing constantly and ended up he had a kidney infection 300$ later of tests, blood work and an ultra sound. UGH. Anyway he is off the meds and went 2 days with no accidents then this week he is a leaky faucet again I took him back to the vet but he has no infection. He literally pees a million times a day. I have bell trained him he goes to the door rings the bells and then 2 mins later pees in the house. He plays with my other dog and pees. Its really weird. He does not have accidents in his crate and he does not poop in the house. He went 2 straight days without accidents and without a crate due to the fact we were stuck at my sisters during a recent Blizzard so I think he can hold it. He knows to go to the door because he rings the bell like 40 times a day and goes out to pee. HELP!! Any ideas? my doc has him on cranberry pills and a vitamin for kidney health. I work from home so he is not crated much only for bedtime or if i run to do errands so like max 2-3hrs

Issue 2 - Showing signs of aggression
So recently in the last 2 weeks my pup has also started showing signs of aggression to everyone in the family but me. He sometimes will growl and snap at my kids and husband when they pet him if he is relaxing or if they try to take him out or pick him up. He was not the alpha of the litter I was careful when i selected him because I didnt want any issues cnsidering I had another dog at home. Any ideas?

Also any recommendations for a really good trainer in RI? Maybe this si all I need.

Any help would be appreciated. Below are some pics of the boys

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
I myself have had three golden girls that have passed and currently have a male golden
puppy 5 months old. I'm not sure how to guide you others might give you more advice
but a possible solution could be to monitor your pups water intake. Give him water then take it away and do it on and off during the day based on how often he is peeing.
If its a medical issue then your vet has to advise you accordingly.
As far as the agression issue a good trainer will be your best choice.
Perhaps something is hurting him and he doesn't trust anyone but you.
Did the other family members handle him often when he was younger?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I think the main question is what do you or your family do when he goes pee pee in the house? Maybe the aggression you are referring to has something to do with the way he is handled. The things that we think are normal may be threatening to them.

Reactions: USAFWife74

·
Registered
924 Posts
a possible solution could be to monitor your pups water intake. Give him water then take it away and do it on and off during the day based on how often he is peeing.
I agree with this. My puppy also pee's A LOT!!!!! Especially when she has a lot to drink, so we dont let her have it all day long. We give it to her with meals, and after play and nap time and some in between.

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your pup.

Issue 1: Did the vet rule out bladder stones? I suppose that would have shown up on the ultrasound though... It just seems like something is wrong for him to urinate that much.

Issue 2: As far as the aggression, I'm wondering if he simply doesn't feel good and he is possibly in pain?

I wish I had an answer for you. A second opinion might be in order if the urinating continues like it has been.

P.S. Your boys are very cute!

Reactions: Gwen_Dandridge

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,527 Posts
This does sound like a health problem on the surface of it. I'd probably have another talk with the vet.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Does your puppy get enough exercise? Mine just turned 3 months and has gone bonkers. Lately she just needs a lot of stimulation and exercise or she is very bitey. She doesn't growl though.

I'm also trying clicker training and really try to praise good behavior. I'm not sure that she will calm down too much until she's done teething though, which happens between 3-5 months I think. So, we're all trying to find our patience on a a daily basis.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Once you get past all the health issues, you are probably going to have to go back to the basics and start potty training all over again.

I think you need to use the crate more often or have him at least leashed to you when you cannot be watching him 100 percent.

A puppy is going to pee every time after drinking, sleeping, eating, playing or any other change of activity. Take him outside right after, if he does not pee, put him in the crate or leash him to you, continue taking him out until he pees. At this age, I would not rely on him telling you when he has to go to the bathroom.

I would also wash all his pee spots with Nature's Miracle. I found that worked much better than vinegar. Once I washed my kitchen floor with Nature's Miracle, Brady never had an accident again.

I also recommend MasterPeace in Franklin. Many people travel quite a bit to get there.

The growling could be from discomfort from his infections, or it could be he is just testing you and trying to see who is boss, not necessarily aggression at this point, but it is important to break him now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Silly question...is he eating alot of snow?? We have be "arguing" with our pup when we go out because she just wants the snow and chunks of ice. I know that when she does come back in from playing, she does need to go out ALOT more.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
1. I think you just need to restrict how much space he has free run in the house, and start taking him out more often, make sure he pees twice before coming in. He is not house trained and won't be for another 3 or 4 months.

2. He is not aggressive, he is behaving like a puppy playing with other "puppies", redirect him to a toy and tell him good boy when he chews on the toys. And if he is sleeping or just relaxing teach your kids to give him his space and don't bother him.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the main question is what do you or your family do when he goes pee pee in the house? Maybe the aggression you are referring to has something to do with the way he is handled. The things that we think are normal may be threatening to them.

When he does have accidents I say no and take him right outside. I usually atch him mid pee so he ends up finishing his business outside

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My vet seems to think what is happening is he thinks he is an equal with my other family memebers. He comes with me everywhere and is usually arouns allot of people. As a little pup I actually carried him in a baby backpack all snuggled up (my mother jokes he is my baby). He is pretty spoiled when I think about it

·
Registered
188 Posts
For the constant peeing- if you take away the water more often and he is still constantly peeing, I'd ask the vet for an ultrasound. He is a little pup so more than likely nothing is wrong, but you just want to rule everything more "serious" out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with this. My puppy also pee's A LOT!!!!! Especially when she has a lot to drink, so we dont let her have it all day long. We give it to her with meals, and after play and nap time and some in between.
I also agree with that. we give her water only with the food 3 times a day and a little bit after walks. at night we take it away. she can drink all the time. when I bath her it looks like she drink all the water from the tap. Try to control the water and see if that helps. it not take him again to the vet.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Do you and the family play with him, walk him, exercise him?? I wonder if he rings the bell "40 times a day" and pees in the house to get attention. Obviously he can hold it since he did that at your sisters.
After he goes pee pee outside do you make over him and praise him for going outside?
I am not as concerned about the pee pee inside, I am more concerned that he may somehow associate the picking up with scolding and that is why he may growl to the kids and husband.
Growling playfully is one thing but growling protectively should be addressed quickly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So it seems that we have the constant peeing issue under control. I basically had to start with training all over again from scratch. The kidney infection seemed to really mess him up. We are now on day 5 with no accidents!!! FINALLY SUCCESS!!!! fingers crossed we have fixed this!Just needed a little rewiring :)

Now to address the growly nippy thing. I have him signed up with a trainer next week. He has allot of play time, walks, plays with his dog brother, I also purchased him some of those puzzle toys u put treats in he loves them. He seems adequately exercised and challenged. I think he just thinks he is he boss of everyone but me. In the 6 dogs I have owned (4 of them goldies) I have never dealt with this behavior issue.

Reactions: Cari
1 - 18 of 18 Posts