Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need some advice/help. I have an eight, almost 9 week golden. We went through a breeder and the breeder actually started crate training early for us. She stuck Nala (our pup) in a crate at night with some of her siblings then after a few nights she had her in there alone. When we started using the crate she would whine and whimper for a few minutes then stop. It seemed perfect! When she would cry in the middle of the night to go potty we would go then she would whimper when going back in but just for a moment. However, this girl has found her voice. Last night she barked and barked and it lasted far longer than it has the past 6 nights. We thought she would be extra tired because she went to the vet, got a parvo shot, then we took her to a friend's who has a big lab and she got to meet another dog and run around in a backyard (she hasnt before). She didn't nap much so we thought she would sleep. She kept us up multiple times barking. We live in a two story loft in an apartment complex so sounds echo and Im afraid a neighbor will complain. Her crate is next to me, I keep two toys and a cow hoof for her to chew on in it. I also place a blanket over it but she can still see me. How can I stop the barking asap? The whining and whimpering is fine (I mean, its not but its better than barking). I don't know if this is relevant but her tests from the vet came back today and she has coccidia and roundworm. Would these impact her sleep? Or the parvo shot? I dont understand how she was worse last night. Don't goldens adjust to their crate pretty fast??

Thank you

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
It just takes time. She has left everything familiar and adjusting to new home, new people, etc. She may have been over tired with the full day she had too.

Try putting a ticking clock (old style windup one), and a hot water bottle in with her.

·
Kristy
10,422 Posts
" I don't know if this is relevant but her tests from the vet came back today and she has coccidia and roundworm."

Absolutely this is relevant. Your baby is sick and under stress. The parasites that cause coccidia have caused inflammation in her digestive tract and she is probably not feeling well. You're lucky she doesn't have terrible diarrhea. Have you started her meds? You could also look into a probiotic specially for dogs to help her.

She needs to keep sleeping in her crate but understand that she is a sick baby and you're going to have to be patient. Try a small floor fan for white noise next to her crate. Sometimes that helps. If you think your neighbors might have a sense of humor, stop by the drug store and purchase a box of foam earplugs and drop them off with a note of apology explaining that the puppy is sick and this should pass in a day or two. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
^^ Totally agree with this. Their poor little tummies hurt, they need to poop (and diarrhea is no fun and causes more inflammation). Some of the crying at night may be that she needs to go out. My girl's diarrhea was always worst at night when she had coccidia.

Try putting the crate close enough that you can put your hand in - that might help comfort her. I also had a crate howler, and I live in a townhouse. I did knock on all my neightbours' doors whose walls are connected to mine. Everyone was really sweet and said they couldn't hear her. Well, I KNOW that was impossible!! It WILL get better. It may take a few weeks. Hang n there...

·
Kristy
10,422 Posts
...Their poor little tummies hurt, they need to poop (and diarrhea is no fun and causes more inflammation). Some of the crying at night may be that she needs to go out. My girl's diarrhea was always worst at night when she had coccidia....
I thought of you and Shala immediately and was hoping you'd see this and give input - I remember feeling so badly for both of you, definitely a tough chapter.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
I thought of you and Shala immediately and was hoping you'd see this and give input - I remember feeling so badly for both of you, definitely a tough chapter.
The best thing now is that I can barely remember it all. It was a really tough first three weeks for sure - her poor little tummy just couldn't catch a break - but it does sort of get completely overtaken by all the good times that came after. She was a wonderful puppy all the way through, even those nights when we up and outside every hour, but I do remember when the giardia and coccidia were finally under control, I suddenly saw her real personality coming through. I was like, oh, THIS is my puppy!! It made such a difference when she was no longer uncomfortable and miserable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much. It's been two days on Albon for the coccidia and she received another medication for the round worms. She gets one syringe a few days ago then another in two weeks. It's been two days and I can actually see a change in behavior. Yesterday she was lethargic with little spurts of play but she did so good in her crate. She only whimpered a few minutes and then slept. I had to wake her up for potty and food!! Another thing worth mentioning, she used to woof her food down so fast that se would spend an hour burping, coughing or spitting it back up (just siliva and a few kernels, not vomit). We even got a maze slow feeder insert for her bowl and she learned to pick it up with her paw and get it out (too smart!) anyways, this morning she ate slower and didn't finish it all in one sitting. Makes me wonder how long she actually had this and if this played a role in her eating and expansive barking.

Thank you all who responded. I'm so glad I found this website. This is my first puppy and I am still such a nervous puppy mom!!

Attachments

·
Kristy
10,422 Posts
..... Makes me wonder how long she actually had this and if this played a role in her eating and expansive barking.

Thank you all who responded. I'm so glad I found this website. This is my first puppy and I am still such a nervous puppy mom!!

Absolutely it did. She most likely came to you with it and just wasn't showing symptoms. Many times dogs can have it and you don't know until the dog is under stress (as in leaving siblings and going to a brand new home with a brand new schedule) and then it hits.

I hope you will stick around here and read through old threads about puppy training and behavior etc. I had dogs for my entire life and didn't find this site until my first Golden had passed away and I have learned more here about dogs in general and Goldens in particular. A lot of very valuable information here. You can't come up with a single subject that hasn't been covered here at some point. Use the search feature in the top right hand corner and enter any term you're interested in and it will bring up all previous threads on the subject. Good stuff :)

P.s. Your puppy girl is precious - Hope you'll share more photos or do a formal intro thread for her if you haven't already done so. Have you had a chance to sign her up for puppy classes yet? It's not too early to work on this if you haven't had a chance yet :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts