Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Help.....My PUP ate CHICKEN BONES

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Karen519 
#1 ·
Our pup Olliver, just got into the trash and ate the rack of a roasted chicken from the grocery store that was thrown in the trash by the kids. I know this is not a GOOD thing.......What can I do for him???

#5 ·
It's time for the peanut butter sandwich remedy!
Give him 1 or 2 peanut butter sandwiches (more bread than peanut butter). It helps to move things along. That's what we used to do when my goofy older male used to eat glass such as light bulbs, christmas ornaments, etc.
Then yes, watch him carefully.

#6 ·
When Daisy swallowed a large whole country rib bone, the vet said to give her about 4 slices of bread to coat it as it passed through. It never came up and it never came out, never saw it again :p:

I would call your vet just to let them know this has happened and get their recommendation. Chances are good your pup will be just fine. Dog stomachs can do amazing things.

#8 ·
I gotta make a bread comment....while it may 'cushion' for a few minutes in the stomach.....before it even passes into the duodenum, most all the food components of the stomach contents have been reduced to liquid - chyme.
Now, the bones...probably not digested, but softened a bit (nor the pieces of tennis balls, toys and sticks).
So would bread really help much at all?
The cotton balls in cream would make more sense to cushion...wouldn't they?

To the OP...Sadie once snarfed a whole roasted Cornish Game hen down in 2 bites. I agonized for 12 hours watching her...she was fine. And full;).

#9 ·
I gotta make a bread comment....while it may 'cushion' for a few minutes in the stomach.....before it even passes into the duodenum, most all the food components of the stomach contents have been reduced to liquid - chyme.
Now, the bones...probably not digested, but softened a bit (nor the pieces of tennis balls, toys and sticks).
So would bread really help much at all?
The cotton balls in cream would make more sense to cushion...wouldn't they?

To the OP...Sadie once snarfed a whole roasted Cornish Game hen down in 2 bites. I agonized for 12 hours watching her...she was fine. And full;).
I agree MB. Actually, I was told (by the ER vet) to use a handful of cotton balls soaked in mineral oil mixed in with some wet dog food when Jester chewed up a stained glass ornament.

I'll try to find the thread.....

#11 ·
Thanks Cindy!

#12 ·
Ollie seems fine, is still playful but we are still VERY CAUTIOUS.......the vet told us to give him "Vaseline sandwichs" which we gave him last night. He has the diaherra now, no blood.......could this be because of the dramatic change in food???

#15 ·
Keep an eye on him

Keep an eye on him-if you see anything or he acts strange call the EMERGENCY VET immediately.

I would be careful with the Peanut Butter after she Salmonella outbreak with Peanut butter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.