Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby Dakota is 14, and for the last year or so she has gotten so stubborn on our walks. I know that she's not a puppy, the walks are shorter (she can't do long walks anymore) than they used to be. But we'll be walking and she will stop and want to change directions. It's so she can cut through someones back yard as a short cut to our yard so that she can have some more outside time (even in the pouring rain). Sometimes I'll make the shortcut, but some times I can't do it (she's trained me well and I don't know how to re-train myself or her).

I don't want to yell at her, or yank and pull on her lead. She's very food oriented, so I think a treat would help, but I'm not sure when to try to do that. Sometimes distracting her helps, if it's nice out I'll sit on the curb till she gets fed-up waiting for me and she'll walk back over to me, then we can resume on the direction we need to go.

Any suggestions???
smarge

·
Registered
429 Posts
At 14 I'd be patient with her. Could she be getting sore walking? Towards the end of his life, my lab couldnt walk very far, but he had always been stubborn about heading back home on walks. When he was old he liked to just sit and people watch. We would take it slow and I'd just wait for him when he didn't want to move along with me. But one time we were just outside the townhouse complex where I used to live, when an ambulance pulled in. I tried to hurry him along to get around the corner so I could make sure it wasn't at my house and then a vet pulled over and yelled at me!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dakota is on Rimadyl 75mg in the morning and 1/2 of that in the evening and that has made a huge difference in her 'achyness'. She sill loves to roll around on her back in leaves and snow. Our walks are very, very slow as well.

I'm almost positive it has more to do with wanting to play in the backyard and be outside--because if I do give into her she's 'trotting' to her destination. I try to have outside as much as I can because she seems happiest outside. On days that I work we have a dog walker come so that she can get some outside time (he's great with her).

I really don't know how to train a dog very well, we adopted her when she was 10 so she was pretty well trained when we got her. Other than this we don't have any issues with her.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
I'd say Dakota is trying to re-train you. Don't you love the determination in her? Such a dilema - do you let her "win" and re-train you, or do you rule the roost and be a meanolemom and make her do what you want. At age 14, I was letting Maggie rule me. On our v-e-r-y s-l-o-w walks, once we headed toward home, she suddenly walked even slower. She just wanted to be outside, too, just in case we would encounter someone else walking who would pet her! Very smart, they are.

Go with your heart. If you have time to stay outdoors with her, then by all means let her be outside. That's my opinion. And how wonderful that you adopted her at age 10!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had to laugh, it sounds like Maggie and Dakota (she's a red-head also) could be related!

:doh:

Dakota walks even slower once we start heading home. I feel like such a 'meanolmom' when I try to get her to go home. I think I'm going to try to start plying her with treats, just not sure when the right time to do it in the process of our 'fights'.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Timing is everything with a senior who rules the roost:) When Dakota starts into "go slow" mode, put a yummy treat in your fist, let her smell it and keep on walking. If she's like most goldens, her tummy will overrule her head and she'll stick with meanolemomma.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Can vary her route more often so she has a harder time figuring out when to down-shift. Your walks may have become very predictable...
Can she still get in and out of the car? Sometimes a walk in an unfamiliar neighborhood will perk up a slow poke.

Then there is the part of me that says your Old-Gold has earned the right to have some extra long slow walks....perhaps getting out earlier so you can give her the extra 10-20 minutes :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She definately likes new places, it's a bit of struggle to get her in and out of the car, but we still take her to other places -- especially on weekends. And she can walk as s-l-o-w as she wants!! :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Congratulations having a 14 year old ! There is nothing better than a olden golden. We lost our 13 year old in February and I still have not gotten over his loss and I miss him every day even though we have a 11 month old who looks just like him.

How wonderful your family is to open up your home to a 10 year old. I just can't imagine giving up a golden at 10 but I am glad she found your family. Regarding the stubbornness, we always gave in if he ever got grumpy (which was rare) We figured he deserved being grumpy from time to time.. With the winter upon us, who knows what is aching Dakota. It sounds like you have the meds to help her with arthritis. We used to get ours the occasional cortisone shot and they made a world of difference.

By the way, have you had her Thyroid checked ? Our Riker was walking very slowly and slept quite a lot. I thought there was a major problem and the doctor did a simple blood test and his thyroid had gone out. The meds were cheap and he was back to himself within a week. I had to give him 2 pills a day for the rest of his life but he sure did respond to them. I understand that 90 percent of the old goldens lose their thyroid.

Best of luck !

Patrick

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
My old Meg was the same and i used to do what she wanted if she wanted to turn back we would and she loved to sit out in the garden all weathers if we would let her :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We live in a condo that has a lot of green space, but I can't let her just go outside by herself like I could if we had a fenced in yard. I mostly give into her, I'd say about 90% of the time. I can't resist her. :p:

I'm taking her for her 6-month senior well-dog visit today and will ask about her thyroid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts