Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year old Golden Retriever was recently diagnosed with a thyroid condition... since he has been on medication twice a day and we have noticed a huge difference. However, we have noticed his skin has become worse... huge white flakes all over, the groin area on one side appears almost purplish. Along with the white flakes, there looks like black flakes as well, almost bug like.....ANY IDEAS???

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Get Biogroom Lido med or Eqyss spray online. It helps a lot.Or bathe with Chlorxiderm, all will help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So do you think that the thyroid problem could be why his skin area is so purple on one side of his groin area too? This stuff will help that also or do you think he needs medical attention?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Possibly-vets sometimes have to adjust the medicines to fit different dogs. Sometimes a little more or little less does the trick. Since you said his skin got worse when he started the pills that is what makes sense to me.

·
16,000 Posts
My 5 year old Golden Retriever was recently diagnosed with a thyroid condition... since he has been on medication twice a day and we have noticed a huge difference. However, we have noticed his skin has become worse... huge white flakes all over, the groin area on one side appears almost purplish. Along with the white flakes, there looks like black flakes as well, almost bug like.....ANY IDEAS???

You did not indicate how long he has been on the medication. I have seen what you are describing occur shortly after the supplementation begins, as the new, healthy skin begins to come in and the old, "thyroid skin" (dry, leathery...) flakes off. Sort of like a snake shedding the old skin, for lack of a better term. It is very true that some dogs need to have the dosage "played with" to find the most effective dose for that individual. I'd recommend seeing your vet, making sure the dose is adequate, and to get a good shampoo to help with the skin turning over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts