Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
This was on my weekly enewsletter for seizures and MRI's.
by Dr Will Falconer at VitalAnimal

My vet wants to do an MRI… by Dr Will Falconer

To diagno$e the reason I'm $$eizing

When I see what looks to be rip off once, I tend to ignore it, but when it comes up repeatedly in a short time frame, I need to call it out.

This is very fresh on my mind, coming hard on the heals of opening my Rabies: Knowledge is Power course to an excited new class of students.

The connection?

Rabies, the wild virus, is very much a nervous system virus. You may have learned this in my Rabies Short Course and my new class is taking it in in Module One, Rabies, the Disease.

Some viruses gravitate to other organs or types of tissue like the gut lining (parvo) or the bone marrow (panleukopenia), but rabies virus is right at home in the nerves.

And so, one of biggest classes of side effects we see from injecting the rabies vaccine is nervous system problems. From laryngeal paralysis to rear end paralysis, to mood and behavior changes (aggression but also panic and fears), all the way to, you guessed it, seizures. Aka epilepsy.

People wrote as I was immersed in telling you about rabies to tell me they got their dog the rabies vaccine (even though he'd had it more than once in the past and was likely immune for the rest of his life), and some days or weeks later, their dog started convulsing.

Never before, mind you, but after the rabies shot.

Happenstance? Not when you hear it enough, no. And when you connect the dots of nervous system side effects with a neuro-loving virus being injected (along with aluminum and mercury, neither one exactly known to be a brain tonic <cough>)…

But what set my BS Meter on to Red Alert was more than one person telling me Dr. WhiteCoat wanted them to do a very expensive test called an MRI. To the tune of several thousand dollars, as I recall.

I'm going to flesh this out into a blog post, but I can tell you from years of treating epilepsy, the usual diagnosis, after all is said and done and the credit card limit has been reached in diagnostic spend, is: it's "idiopathic."

Translation?

"We have no idea what causes all these seizures (but it sounds better if we say it with a fancy medical term that makes us look less dumb)."

But now, instead of spending hundreds on useless diagnostic tests, you can spend thousands to get essentially the same answer:

We dunno. (Shrug shoulders here.)

Dr Will Falconer

·
Registered
773 Posts
This was on my weekly enewsletter for seizures and MRI's.
by Dr Will Falconer at VitalAnimal

My vet wants to do an MRI… by Dr Will Falconer

To diagno$e the reason I'm $$eizing

When I see what looks to be rip off once, I tend to ignore it, but when it comes up repeatedly in a short time frame, I need to call it out.

This is very fresh on my mind, coming hard on the heals of opening my Rabies: Knowledge is Power course to an excited new class of students.

The connection?

Rabies, the wild virus, is very much a nervous system virus. You may have learned this in my Rabies Short Course and my new class is taking it in in Module One, Rabies, the Disease.

Some viruses gravitate to other organs or types of tissue like the gut lining (parvo) or the bone marrow (panleukopenia), but rabies virus is right at home in the nerves.

And so, one of biggest classes of side effects we see from injecting the rabies vaccine is nervous system problems. From laryngeal paralysis to rear end paralysis, to mood and behavior changes (aggression but also panic and fears), all the way to, you guessed it, seizures. Aka epilepsy.

People wrote as I was immersed in telling you about rabies to tell me they got their dog the rabies vaccine (even though he'd had it more than once in the past and was likely immune for the rest of his life), and some days or weeks later, their dog started convulsing.

Never before, mind you, but after the rabies shot.

Happenstance? Not when you hear it enough, no. And when you connect the dots of nervous system side effects with a neuro-loving virus being injected (along with aluminum and mercury, neither one exactly known to be a brain tonic <cough>)…

But what set my BS Meter on to Red Alert was more than one person telling me Dr. WhiteCoat wanted them to do a very expensive test called an MRI. To the tune of several thousand dollars, as I recall.

I'm going to flesh this out into a blog post, but I can tell you from years of treating epilepsy, the usual diagnosis, after all is said and done and the credit card limit has been reached in diagnostic spend, is: it's "idiopathic."

Translation?

"We have no idea what causes all these seizures (but it sounds better if we say it with a fancy medical term that makes us look less dumb)."

But now, instead of spending hundreds on useless diagnostic tests, you can spend thousands to get essentially the same answer:

We dunno. (Shrug shoulders here.)

Dr Will Falconer

My position is similar to yours. My vet's doctors usually do not try to push any vaccines outside of the core and lawfully required ones. That is left to the people at the front desk that do all the marketing. It's easy to take that particular source and divide by two (or in some cases by FOUR..LOL).

Been using the same vet for over ten years, and she always answers truthfully about what is and is not needed in my area. I never vaccinate against dog flu, Bordetella, or submit them to any other other non core vaccines (my dogs do not go to day care, boarding kennels, training classes, shows, or the like.)

IMO, LESS IS MORE with vaccines and all should be carefully chosen for our pets as we do for ourselves.

Luckily to date, my pets have not had a negative reaction to a vaccine.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts