Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Doesn't ACC do something different for heartworms?
Jenna uses Ivamec (sp) but I don't know too much about it and how poor Beau would react with it. :( I am so sorry you guys are going through this. You have ours prayers things get better.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't really have much advice to give. I just hope that Beau starts to improve. I have heard that heartworm pills can be hard on a dog's heart, and that some owners will give them a pill every 5 or 6 weeks instead of 4. I hope your vet can give you some solid answers tomorrow. Good luck with everything, and my thoughts are with you.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Sending good thoughts your way. I hope Beau is doing alright now and I hope your vet can get to the root of the problem.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Carol,
I'm so sorry you're having to go thru this. If you think it is related to his heartworm med, we have found that it is effective to go on a 35-40 day schedule. We've done this with our immune compromised springer that has hemolytic anemia. These are strong chemicals and, for what it's worth, many people with dogs with AIHA have been diagnosed not only soon after vaccinations but after giving heartworm meds.
You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Betty

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
i found this article interesting: http://www.theherbsplace.com/Heartworm_Prevention_sp_104.html

to sum it up, it discribes what we all know about how heartworms are passed on by mosquitos, so if you repel them-the need for heartworm preventative is gone. The article tells of a few natural repellants

my only other thought is that you would still need a way to prevent intestinal worms since most heart pills also treat these. With my llama herd we do monthly injections to prevent worm infestations, but with the goats we only treat them when neccessary. Maybe that could be a possibility for you, we just take a fecal sample to the vet each month and do a float on it, if there are parasites present we treat it specifically, if they are clear-we just put it off for another month. (this method works great-no possibility of worm resistance)

hope this helps some, maybe it will get everyone's mind working in a different way & someone will come up with the answer

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Carol, Im sorry to hear Beau is having trouble again.... I will keep him in my prayers and hope the vet can figure out whats going on....

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Beau's seizures...

BeauShel:

1. Cluster seizures?

Atticus has a history of occasional seizures; his mom had them. The seizures don't seem to be related to any medication/food intake. When he seizes, he presents like Beau did--rapid heavy breathing (sometimes with occasional wheezes), general body trembling (sometimes but not always), staring (not always)--or slow to respond to verbal stimuli (always). His seizures last for a few minutes to maybe, 15 minutes total, during which he'll have some lucid periods--at other times, he's obviously restless "not himself". Like last Saturday, his seizure period lasted less than five minutes; we simply held him or laid next to him and spoke calmly and gave him some 'puppy lovin''. As always, the seizures scare the living sh*t outta us--since Atticus can't tell us exactly what is wrong and we don't know exactly what to do.

As for Beau--they could be 'cluster seizures'--which is kinda of a general term. Or perhaps a long seizure with a few periods of lucidness inbetween...

2. Go to the emergency vet?

In my opinion, since Beau came through without any major difficulties (as scary as the whole ordeal was...), I think you did the right thing in keeping him with you. Certainly the vet can give you more info tomorrow--which will come in handy in the future! I would only get majorly worried (my term) if his breathing was compromised to the extent that he was showing symptoms of hypoxia (insufficient amounts of oxygen getting to his tissues)--such as pale or bluish gums.

3. Wearing a Holter monitor?

Is there a history of heart dysrythmias? If not, then a Holter monitor probably isn't going to show you very much. Atticus has worn the H. monitor three times in his lifetime for a period of 24 hours+ each. For a dog with serious life-threatening dysrythmias--it was a godsend since it showed the cardiologist how bad and what types of dysrythmias Atticus had--and later on, how well the subsequent medication was working on curbing the dysrythmias. Interestingly enough, when the dysrythmias decreased to background levels, our cardiologist recommended that we discontinue giving Atticus Sotolol. He's on a number of meds including a new cardiac med called Carvedilol (Coreg)--which has been working wonders (knock on wood).

Atticus also suffers from occasional syncopal episodes (fainting spells)--as the result of his enlarged heart. When excited, his heart just can't pump enough blood through his body--so his brain basically goes on 'tilt'. He will collapse, become incontinent, and be unable to recognize us. After lots of puppy lovin, he'll gradually return to 'normal'. From what you've listed, it sounds like Beau has a regular heartbeat--and his 'seizures' haven't occurred after any really strenuous exercise. If the vet is in doubt, (in other words, is his seizure due to some errant dysrythmia), a holter monitor may help--if the dysrythmia comes often enough to be picked up in a 24 hour period. From what you've said--the seizures happen too infrequently.

Several people suggested that Beau may be having an allergic reaction to the Interceptor (which, by the way, Atticus takes monthly--and [again, knock on wood] hasn't had any problems with...). In humans, allergic reactions usually manifest in rapid heart rate and breathing, restlessness, and in later stages, hypoxia. It is a gradual worsening of symptoms that usually appear very soon after the offending substance is ingested, inhaled, etc. The reaction often shows up fairly quickly--but it usually does not "come and go" like you appear to have described Beaus symptoms and signs.... So I would think that it's not allergy-related. It'd probably be a good idea to record what his resting heartrate and breathing rate is/minute now; then, I would monitor Beaus heartrate and breathing rate the next time he has another episode--and then compare them. The vet, I believe, would find that data useful.:crossfing

I realize this is a stressful time for you--the vet tomorrow should have a lot of useful information--and some options for you to consider--which should bring down your stress levels a bit! Having no children, David and I treat Atticus like our 'first-born'--and I usually get hyper at every lump, odd breathing pattern and/or quirk that Atticus exhibits. Atticus has so many health problems--I guess I am ready to jump to conclusions everytime something even minor, happens. Being a parent is just hell sometimes....:(

I hope that I have given you another side of what possibly may be going on with Beau--I'm no DR. or vet (just an EMT with a furrkid with some similar maladies). This is what we've been going through with Atticus for the last 7.5 years--but I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. :no:

The gang here in SW PA will pray for you and Beau and we pray that the vet will have a simple easy remedy for Beau after he sees him.

We'll all be looking forward to some good news from you tomorrow!:) Good Luck!

Peace,

SJ

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm so sorry. It's so hard to watch something like that, you feel so helpless. Besides keeping a journal, is it possible for you to take a video of the next episode?
When our Bentley was having strange "episodes" (which I later found out were small seizures), the vet suggested I take a video the next time it happened. That way he could get a better idea of what was happening.

I know how hard this is for you and how worried it can be, I'll say some prayers.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Carol, I can't offer any advice, but I'll be thinking of you and Beau and sending good thoughts your way.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
He has been better all day and we even went for a short walk. He was very perky and then halfway back he just got so tired out and walked so slow. I was taking baby steps to keep beside him. I just encouraged him and told him to take his time. We got home and pretty much laid around the rest of the evening. He didnt eat much dinner and as most of you know he is a chow hound with the phenobarbital. I sat on the floor this evening and did our sunday night grooming. I cleaned his ears really well and trimmed his feet hair. Brushed him for 1 hours realy slowly and just talked to him and kept kissing his nose. He was so relaxed. Got a ton of hair off him and I just brushed him the other day. It was like he hadnt been brushed for a month. He looks so handsome now and relaxed on the couch. I am still really worried for him.
1. he hasnt eaten much all day. Normally 2 1/2 cups a day. Today about 1 cup.
2. no energy just laying around all day. Seems more tired than normal.
3. goes into a deep sleep really fast. I mean lays down and within a minute his eyes are rolled back in his head sleeping hard.

I hope the vet will have some answers. But with the other seizures becoming longer and harder for him to come out of, and last night, I am feeling scared.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
He has been better all day and we even went for a short walk. He was very perky and then halfway back he just got so tired out and walked so slow. I was taking baby steps to keep beside him. I just encouraged him and told him to take his time. We got home and pretty much laid around the rest of the evening. He didnt eat much dinner and as most of you know he is a chow hound with the phenobarbital. I sat on the floor this evening and did our sunday night grooming. I cleaned his ears really well and trimmed his feet hair. Brushed him for 1 hours realy slowly and just talked to him and kept kissing his nose. He was so relaxed. Got a ton of hair off him and I just brushed him the other day. It was like he hadnt been brushed for a month. He looks so handsome now and relaxed on the couch. I am still really worried for him.
1. he hasnt eaten much all day. Normally 2 1/2 cups a day. Today about 1 cup.
2. no energy just laying around all day. Seems more tired than normal.
3. goes into a deep sleep really fast. I mean lays down and within a minute his eyes are rolled back in his head sleeping hard.

I hope the vet will have some answers. But with the other seizures becoming longer and harder for him to come out of, and last night, I am feeling scared.
I'll be thinking of you and Beau tomorrow, all paws are praying here

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
Oh Carol, I'm so sorry about Beau. My thoughts are with you. I hope he feels better....

·
The Ariz. Retriever Crew
1,752 Posts
Prayers coming from Arizona for you & Beau! Sezuires are scary but hang in there until they figure it all out with the med's... Big hugs!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Sending our best wishes to Beau and you.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts