Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread title pretty much sums it up. I'm vegetable illiterate and need help. I went to the grocery store today looking for white potatoes, sweet potatoes, and turnips. Seems pretty simple, right?

Except that what I always thought were sweet potatoes were actually labelled yams. :uhoh: Then I seem to recall someone (no names will be mentioned) told me years ago that yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing. Except the vegetable under the sign "Sweet potato" was lighter skinned and white-fleshed, when I thought they were supposed to be dark skinned and orange fleshed (like yams). Are they two separate things?

And my stupid turnip...I was under the same impression that a rutubaga was the same as a turnip. But then why are there two different signs? And why was the "turnip" I bought white fleshed and not a light orange colour?? :doh:

Not to mention I got home with my white potato only to be told by my dad that it's actually a russet potato. :no: Aren't they the same thing?? It's flesh is white! It's not a red potato...doesn't that make it white?

Honestly. I feel like a moron. I have the sneaking suspicion I looked like one, too. So someone help me. Please!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Thread title pretty much sums it up. I'm vegetable illiterate and need help. I went to the grocery store today looking for white potatoes, sweet potatoes, and turnips. Seems pretty simple, right?

Except that what I always thought were sweet potatoes were actually labelled yams. :uhoh: Then I seem to recall someone (no names will be mentioned) told me years ago that yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing. Except the vegetable under the sign "Sweet potato" was lighter skinned and white-fleshed, when I thought they were supposed to be dark skinned and orange fleshed (like yams). Are they two separate things?

And my stupid turnip...I was under the same impression that a rutubaga was the same as a turnip. But then why are there two different signs? And why was the "turnip" I bought white fleshed and not a light orange colour?? :doh:

Not to mention I got home with my white potato only to be told by my dad that it's actually a russet potato. :no: Aren't they the same thing?? It's flesh is white! It's not a red potato...doesn't that make it white?

Honestly. I feel like a moron. I have the sneaking suspicion I looked like one, too. So someone help me. Please!
Hehehe, not stupid at all! I am actually curious about the sweet potato and yams thing. I've had this problem, too. :doh:

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
For some reason, I always thought yams were like...a way of preparing sweet potatoes. lol So I'm right there with you. I DO know the difference between a russet and a white potato. The white potato has a thinner skin like a red potato, but light brown. The russet has more of the leathery skin that people generally think of when they think of a potato. Also, no idea about the turnip thing. lol

·
Kate
21,232 Posts
*laughs* All I can say I only recently learned that horseradish doesn't look like a raddish at all, but resembles a gross debarked tree root. o_O I don't know where I've been all these years, but obviously not shopping for horseradish-not-in-bottles.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At least it's not just me! The weird thing is I LOVE turnips/rutubagas/sweet potatoes/yams, etc. LOVE them. I'd eat them every day. In fact, that's why I bought 2 stupid sweet potatoes...but they weren't what I was expecting at all. i guess I was thinking of a yam? Also, how weird does the word "yam" sound when you think about it? Yam?

Sam - Brilliant! So basically what I was calling a yam IS a sweet potato...but a different kind. Good to know. I'm so disappointed I got the wrong kind of sweet potato.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, that makes sense, too. Except the thing I bought today appears to be some sort of hybrid mix of the two items in the pic. It was purple, but was the size/shape of the other one. I particularly like how the article describes that white flesh is a turnip but yellow is a rutubaga...except when the turnip is yellow fleshed and the rutubaga is white!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Since your other questions were answered, I will address the potatoes. LOL

Russet potatoes are baking potatoes. The kind you actually eat as a baked potato. They also make good homemade french fries. They are drier in taste and texture.

White potatoes/yukon golds/new potatoes (red potatoes) are the ones you want to boil or make mashed potatoes out of. They contain more moisture than russet potatoes.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
This is very interesting!! I buy sweet potatoes/yams all the time as we enjoy them as do the dogs. I know you see sweet potatoes quite often in dog foods so that's why I buy them and add them to my dogs' diet. Usually the store we buy our groceries at are out of sweet potatoes and just have yams so I buy those..figure they're pretty much the same anyway. However, according to the information Sam posted, I was actually buying yams when I thought I was buying sweet potatoes and buying sweet potatoes when they were out of yams. So, as it turns out, I was actually buying sweet potatoes (which is what I wanted to be buying). So, it's all good.....right?:bowl:

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,826 Posts
Regarding potatoes, the Yukon Golds are my favorite for making mashed potatoes. They cost a little more than the white potatoes, but I've found they cook faster, so I figure I'm making up the difference in the cost and I prefer the flavor of them.

We eat a lot of sweet potatoes in my house, the dogs love them too. One of my favorites is Sweet potato muffins along with baked sweet potatoes, sw ff.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Ranger

Ranger

Don't feel bad-everytime I go to buy Baking Potatoes I have to try to remember which ones to buy!,

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Don't feel bad. I went to the garden center one time and was obviously needing help picking out potato sets for my Michigan garden. The guy asked me what I wanted. I told him I wanted to grow Idaho potatoes. He said I'd have to move! :doh:

What I was looking for was russet.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Good grief on the main page all that shows of this title is "Help me - I'm a vegetable" and I was immediately horrified. I was like, oh my god who on this forum is a vegetable?! :( :( :(

I'm glad this post is actually about a much lighter topic!
LOL. I misread it as "Help me - I'm vegetable intolerant" and I was like... hm. :scratchch

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
There are many root vegetables besides the ones you mentioned. Go to an international market and WOW. There are hundreds/thousands of different potatoes, different textures, different shapes, colors etc. So no one should feel dumb because they don't know them all. 40 years ago when we lived in Eastern Europe the potatoes where yellow inside, and I had never seen anything but white potatoes (this was way before Yukon Gold).

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Good grief on the main page all that shows of this title is "Help me - I'm a vegetable" and I was immediately horrified. I was like, oh my god who on this forum is a vegetable?! :( :( :(

I'm glad this post is actually about a much lighter topic!

I want to thank you for making me crack up laughing out loud at my desk and making my bosses think I've officially lost it. :bowl:

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
I want to thank you for making me crack up laughing out loud at my desk and making my bosses think I've officially lost it. :bowl:

I did the exact same thing when I first read Kim's post!! Now, having read it again and your post, it's starting all over. :--crazy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts