Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Duffy, at 3.5 months is quickly outgrowing his crate.

I'm searching for a new one, but there are so many out there.

My perfect crate would be 42" or 48" (what would you suggest, I think he'll be about an 80 pounder).

Space is a concern here - since it is so big, something that easily folds up if we need it to would be great.

It doesn't have to be wire, unless you think that he might chew through a nylon one? I don't know how durable they are --- ?

Under $100 would be within my budget.

THank you!!!

Kris

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I don't know where you live but we got ours at Meijer. They have some pretty big wire ones (with dividers) for under $100.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brands?

Amazon.com has a Midwest brand 42", folding metal wire crate for $74 and free shipping. Is that a good deal?

Kris

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I thought I posted here but don't see it. The best crate we've ever had is from here.... www.valuecrate.com We got the 3 door model so it can sit either way. MUCH nicer and sturdier than the Midwest crate we got at Petsmart. We have nylon crates for when we're at my sons but I would never use them daily or ever for a puppy. Value crate had really good prices and fast delivery

·
Registered
262 Posts
NOZTONOZ Sof-Krates are excellent Nylon crates if thats what you are considering. They are tough, lightweight, and easy to set up and transport. They can definitely be ripped however--we let our friends dog in it and it ripped a hole through the front screen. So depending on whether or not you think Duffy would try to get out or not it could be a good option.

I do agree with the above post that Midwest makes some great and affordable wire crates. Midwest iCrate Single-Door Home Training and Travel Series They are pretty easy to set up but of course heavier than a nylon crate. At the same time there is no breaking out of these!

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
I bought a 3 door crate for Sierra from Value crate. I really like it because I can change the way it sits depending on the spot it is in.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
My perfect crate would be 42" or 48" (what would you suggest, I think he'll be about an 80 pounder).

Space is a concern here - since it is so big, something that easily folds up if we need it to would be great.

It doesn't have to be wire, unless you think that he might chew through a nylon one? I don't know how durable they are --- ?

Under $100 would be within my budget.

THank you!!!

Kris
I have several different sizes that both my male and female Golden share at home and frankly the 42" is probably larger than you need for a lot of Goldens. I have that size both in a wire and in a soft crate because I intitially felt guilty about getting the 36", afraid it would be too cramped. When I travel and for dog shows I use a metal 36" for my boy and a 36" soft crate for the female and that size seems to suit them perfectly.
The soft crates are great but only should be used if your dog is completely relaible in a crate because they are easily destroyed. My male, who had never detroyed a soft crate, did so at a dog show when he became jealous of me working my other dog, thus he now uses a metal crate at the shows.
I have precision brand metal crates and a soft crate that I got at Big lots for not too much money. The sof-krate brand is sturdy and the one I am currently using has lasted me 8 years of full time use, even with cats laying on top of it, however it is more expensive..

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I would avoid the nylon ones. Too easy for young dogs to chew out of and they're way more expensive.

You probably don't need bigger than 36", but if you want 42", here's a folding wire for for $78 including shipping!

http://www.valuecrate.com/kr4203.html

·
Registered
869 Posts
I lucked out & found a 48 inch midwest Select crate with 3 doors and a divider panel off Craigs list for $75. If you have a crate for now, start watching. Good chance one will come up before you need a bigger one.
Even the 42 in a good size crate.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Big Lots recently had some metal crates for around 50$. Don't know much about their quality since I didn't buy one.

·
idabwmn
1,055 Posts
I like the Vari Kennels. They are easy to clean and the dogs feel safe in them. They will often just go and lay in them.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I got the 42' metal folding crate from Wal-Mart and when I got it it was only $75, but that was 3 years ago. Taz has never tried to escape or otherwise mangle a crate (she loves hers) so I didn't really worry much about the durability, but it has held up perfectly well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did you bought yours? I was looking for mine at the same time, tried to purchase from valuecrate.com, but I am in Guatemala (Central America) and even it was a shipping to MIami site didnt accept paypal account from my country :( so looked around and ended buying one that seems great from amazon, it is a 2 door Icrate from Midwest for $88 free shipping, couldnt tell the difference at first with the $74 one but understood it was struder, waiting to get it since I can wait to have my Golden at home :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts