Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ashleigh
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi!

some members on here seem so knowledgable about researching a dogs history. i have no idea how to begin to look this up. my male golden was purchased at 8 weeks from "Desert Goldens" (aka Nancy Knapp) in Desert Hot Springs, CA. i think sometimes its also advertised as Palm Springs, CA too. his parents were known as Thunder (dad) and Macy (mom) and litter was born 5/1/2011. parents have both since been retired but i know the sire was used many times in previous litters with the breeder. the only other thing i know about the mother is that she was originally purchased from a breeder in Georgia before coming to southern california.

Tucker (my boy) is AKC registered and that is about all i have. i dont have the papers in front of me so i dont know the parents registered names off the top off my head. do i need that information to start my search?

He was purchased with limited AKC registration and contract as it was no problem since i was only looking for a friendly family dog but i am curious as what his parents history and so on is.

Thanks for your help! :)

·
Ashleigh
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

i just pulled this from the AKC website. i realized i had an online registration that could access the information.

Dog Information

AKC No.: SR67835801
Name: Forristall's Tucker
Sex: Male
Breed: Retriever (Golden)
Variety:
Color: Light Golden
Markings:
Birth Date: 05/01/2011
Sire: Sandar Thunder Of The Desert - SR21658506
Dam: Gold - Rush Out On Parade - SR36839802
Breeder(s): Nancy Knapp

Medical Screens
There are no medical screens available for this dog.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you have your dog's AKC number you can purchase a 4 or 5 generation pedigree online from the AKC to start with.

·
Kate
20,440 Posts
You don't always have to purchase the pedigree - thanks to K9data...

Here is the sire's pedigree...

Pedigree: Sandar Thunder Of The Desert

You should also have received a simple pedigree from your breeder which should have given you parents behind the female that you could have linked up on k9data - I'd sort that out before buying the pedigree.

Oh here's she is...

http://k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=335565

·
Ashleigh
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt know that. thanks! would that include if they all had medical screenings too? i wasnt even really aware of how important eyes/hips/elbows and etc were before i spent time on this forum.

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes OFA has their clearances the Dam only shows elbows not sure if she did pin hips or not

·
Registered
991 Posts
You can also see that although the Dam doesn't list full clearances on OFA you can see behind her there what her parents etc had. And it could be she had heart and eyes that were not sent in and OFA does not list pen hips. You should be able to ask the breeder for those if not listed.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
K-9 Data is a really interesting site if you have time to poke around. Thanks to another forum member, I was able to go back and find a picture of one Harry's ancestor's who was born in 1904 - a year after Goldens were accepted for registration by The Kennel Club of England. There are other ancestors who predate the breed and are listed as wavy coated or flat coated. Really neat if you are a genealogy buff and just learning about the history of the breed like me.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts