Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So Sunday morning at about 4 oclock we woke up to koda puking, nothing the first time and then the second one was some yellow pile with nylabone chunks in it that she had eaten the day before. We figured her stomach didn't agree with the nylabone since after she threw up she was back to normal. Wanting to play, eat, drink..

Monday morning, nothing.

This morning again at 3:45 I wake up to her puking, first time nothing, second time a little bit of yellow bile, third time more yellow bile with some larger treats from the vet the night before, and then one more little one with a very very small amount of bile. Again, as soon as she was done she wanted some water and then wanted to play (at 4 am).

Is this something I need to get her in to the vet for ASAP or has anyone else experienced this??

I am wondering since it is so early if it is some sort of acid reflux thing but she had her dinner at 6:30 and a peanut butter kong at 8. Not sure if the peanut butter is not substantial enough or something...? She has pooped fine and ate her breakfast this morning and was acting totally normal afterwards. I had put her back in the crate just after 4 and she stayed in there till 6, a little restless but that isn't uncommon with the cone on her right now..

Any help would be great!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ozzy used to do that a lot when he'd eat something he wasn't supposed to. I think he'd wake us up several times a week. Since the "sock incident" we are VERY careful about what he gets in his mouth and it hasn't happened since.

My guess is she's eating something new (maybe a treat or bone of some kind?) or something that doesn't agree with her and when her stomach gets empty at night her stomach reacts. I know some people here say their dogs get sick at night when they have a really empty stomach. I thought that's what was happening with Ozzy but the fact that it hasn't happened since his surgery I'm guessing that's not it.

If she's fine during the day and eating and pooping I don't think you need to rush her to the vet. I'd take away the nylabone since she's eating pieces of that and see if it helps. Is there anything new she's eating?

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, and that was my plan to keep her on only familiar foods. She had the treats at the vet last night which are not part of her normal diet and we hadn't given her a nylabone in probably two months before she had it saturday. So they were both not part of her normal diet. And I guess Sunday we kept her on her normal diet and it didn't happen Monday morning.

I think I will try some kibble before bed tonight instead of the peanut butter and see if that makes a difference. It is just hard cuz we use the kong to get her tired before bed since she can't play with her surgery last week for spay.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Sometimes I think little chunks of things just bother a dog's stomach. I used to feed Flora raw turkey necks and every now and again she'd have her moments where she'd puke up a little bit of bone - nothing major, maybe the size of a dime, but I guess it was enough to unsettle her stomach.

If he's pooping and eating normally I would just keep an eye on him. If his stomach seems tender and he stops pooping, THAT'S when you need to worry about something like an obstruction.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it for now. This happens to Nyah when she eats too fast or eats something that doesn't agree with her stomach. Koda's stomach should settle by this evening but if it's still acting up by then I would call the vet.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea she hasn't ever continued puking during the day, always at like 4 am. That's why I wasn't too concerned right away..just feel bad for her when I hear that. She seems perfectly fine once she is done puking.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hmm... sounds like maybe there is a piece of nylabone or something stuck in her stomach that won't dislodge. Not sure why it would happen during the night though. If it happens again tonight I would call the vet in the morning to check it out.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If something was still stuck in there wouldn't that cause her to puke during the day and not be pooping as well..? I thought about that at first but I dismissed it since she poops normal, eats normal, and is fine all day long...

·
Registered
788 Posts
If something was still stuck in there wouldn't that cause her to puke during the day and not be pooping as well..? I thought about that at first but I dismissed it since she poops normal, eats normal, and is fine all day long...
Ya that's true. Are you still giving her pain meds from her spay? Those didn't agree too well with Nyah, her poop was runny for a few days. Sorry, TMI :p:

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL I am fine with it. And she was only on the pain meds through Sunday but they seemed to not affect her. I guess I will try a bedtime snack for her with just some of her kibble and hope that we have a smooth night...

Of course this is the week DH is out of town..he feels horrible..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts