Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved in to our new high rise condo exactly 2 weeks ago. Our puppy Jake is now 15 weeks. We both work 8-4 jobs and cannot come to check on Jake during work. While at work we lock him in the bathroom with his potty system a few toys and his water and his breakfast bowl of food. We left a baby gate on the door, until yesterday that he learned to hop it over. Today we left 2 baby gates on the door and seemed to do the trick.

When I got home today I found a note on our door saying Jake barks and cries all day long and they are giving us a warning before they escalate it to the HOA. I just moved in to the place and will never give my puppy up. Any help on what I can do I would greatly appreciate as I don't know what to do to solve this problem. I am so stressed now ! Please help.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Eight hours a day is really a long time for a 15-week-old puppy to be home alone. He is most likely crying because he is bored out of his mind and is lonely. Is there anyone who can take him out during the day and spend some time with him? If not, day care might be a good option for him while you're at work. At least then he will have other pups to play with and will be getting some exercise.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Can you hire a dog walker? Someone who could come home at lunch and let him out and go for a walk would really help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My husband can come check on him during his lunch time. I don't think that the problem is that though. I still think that if he checked on him in lunch when he went back to the bathroom he would start crying. Anytime we go to the store at night or anywhere we hear him cry the whole time (We wait outside our door a few minutes and he never stops). Daycare would be too expensive for us. Any other suggestions ? If I puppy proofed our living room and let him be able to have running room do you think that will help ? We have 2 cats which he loves to play with also.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Does he have access to the cats while you're gone? Maybe the simple comfort of having one of his kitty friends around might console him.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does he have access to the cats while you're gone? Maybe the simple comfort of having one of his kitty friends around might console him.
Yah, both the cats roam the whole house all day and he can see them through the wholes in the gate

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Sorry, I personally don't see an easy fix. You're just going to have to find a way to put him in doggy day care or see if paying people to walk him will help. Either that or move. I am not trying to be a downer but what can you do to stop a puppy from crying for 8 hours when no one is there? He will hopefully outgrow this in time. Until then, I think you'll have to cut some corners financially so you can afford what he needs right now. Do you have a retired family member who will keep him while you are at work?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry, I personally don't see an easy fix. You're just going to have to find a way to put him in doggy day care or see if paying people to walk him will help. Either that or move. I am not trying to be a downer but what can you do to stop a puppy from crying for 8 hours when no one is there? He will hopefully outgrow this in time. Until then, I think you'll have to cut some corners financially so you can afford what he needs right now. Do you have a retired family member who will keep him while you are at work?

Pretty much what MomtoMax said; There is no easy answer to this one. That puppy could really get into trouble and hurt himself if he's left alone to roam the entire condo.....what did you imagine this little guy would be doing all day while you worked, anyway??!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just did 2 tests. 1 with him locked in the bathroom and I left I stayed outside the door and he will cry all the time. 2 I left him loose with access to the living room, hall way and bathroom. Then we left and stayed outside and he was fine and we hear him playing and running and playing with the cats. I think its just that he feels trapped in the bathroom. We might just puppy proof the whole living room and he will have access to the bathroom for his potty system. He will have plenty room to run and get rid of his energy if we open up his baby gate and give him access to the living room. What do you guys think ? He is normally good when we are home with only chewing his toys and bones.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I agree that there is not going to be an easy way to "fix" this situation. There is no way to magically stop him from barking while you're not home. The best solutions are to either have a friend/family member go to your home during the day and take him for walks and play with him to tire him out or enroll him in a doggie daycare. Since your neighbors are starting to get really annoyed with the constant barking, something is going to have to be done to prevent them from taking further action, which they have already said they would do if it doesn't get better.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I just did 2 tests. 1 with him locked in the bathroom and I left I stayed outside the door and he will cry all the time. 2 I left him loose with access to the living room, hall way and bathroom. Then we left and stayed outside and he was fine and we hear him playing and running and playing with the cats. I think its just that he feels trapped in the bathroom. We might just puppy proof the whole living room and he will have access to the bathroom for his potty system. He will have plenty room to run and get rid of his energy if we open up his baby gate and give him access to the living room. What do you guys think ? He is normally good when we are home with only chewing his toys and bones.
I don't know about that... Flora was normally good when we were at home (I mean, she never chewed ANYTHING), but one time I let her have free run of the house while I took a nap, and when I woke up I found she had ripped up the carpet in our dining room. :doh:

Are the bathroom and hallway connected? I would start there, leave the cats in that section too so he can play with them, and see how that goes. Sure, it might be nice that he can run and get rid of his energy in the living room, but it might not be so nice if he decides a fun way to get rid of his energy is to chew on your furniture. Puppies are devilish little things sometimes. :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Are you covering his crate during the day? That helps dogs from feeling they have to protect the whole house from the confines of the crate.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Get him in puppy socialization AND training class (...two different things!) ASAP.

Increase his morning exercise.

I would not leave him with the cats in his area unless they have ways of escaping. I would not give him the run of the house. He might be okay. But he might chew something up, and worse, swallow it and get an obstruction. The $1500 vet bill is way worse than a dogwalker or daycare for a while. A couple days of day care a week might be sufficient.

WOrk on teaching him to be fine when he's alone. There are several books on the subject (category, separation anxiety or separation distress) on dogwise.com.

Feed ---all--- his meals through training ( a piece or two for a correct response) or from food dispensing toys (google "tug a jug" or "Kibble nibble" for pictures).

Use stuffed, frozen kongs (...his meals can be in there). If you continue to not crate him, invest in a "Kong Time" machine...I dont' think they're made any more but you should be able to find one online or borrow one from your dog training instructor. This machine sets on a cabinet/table and will drop a kong out every hour or two. It holds up to 4, and you could re-fill the machine when someone is home at lunch.

Contact your training class instructor or a behavior consultant about a private lesson or two on= how to manage this. Not only will your neighbors get upset over your noisy puppy, but if he is seriously distressed and barking all day, this could get -much- worse over time if not addressed. It is not good for him to be so worried for such a long period of time. I would be calling around first thing in the morning to find someone who can help you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be working from home the next 2 days and see if I can figure something out until then. The cats room is the room next to the bathroom where he stays at. Im thinking if he has access to only that room and the bathroom he might be okay. He loves to play with the cats and all that is in that room is the cats big cat tree and a futon. Then cats food is out of reach and I can set their litter where Jake cant get to it. He will have a little more room and will be able to play with the cats as well. During Lunch my husband will be coming home to check on him. Not sure if this will work or not but I will be placing him there while i'm working from home to see how he will react. What do you guys think about this ?

Another suggestion I was given at the pet store for his barking/crying is a spray bark control collar. I wouldnt have the guts to get him a shock collar specially he still being small, but what about a spray bark collar?

Also at the petstore we met another couple with a 12 week old golden retriever puppy. He was the same size as our 15 week old puppy but fluffy. Our golden was never really fluffy. Anyways we will be having a puppy play date for them as we both live in the same area of town. Jake will also be starting Puppy classes in exactly a month is when they start.

I understand what you are all saying about leaving a puppy alone for 8 hours. But just because I work 8 hours doesn't mean I can't own a puppy. I felt a little offended by some people. I am posting because obviously I am trying to get help. I would never get rid of my puppy. I am not trying to offend anyone just looking for advice not to get offended. I dont have the luxery of leaving my puppy less than that by himself as others do but he is a spoiled dog whenever we are home or on the weekends. Anywhere we go for the weekends he is always right there with us.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I really think a covered crate would make a world of difference for you. Puppies do not like to have the responsibility of defending a large area they feel safe in a very small and confined area. It is not a punishment at all. Read up on crate training because it really works and makes for well adjusted pups.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Another suggestion I was given at the pet store for his barking/crying is a spray bark control collar. I wouldnt have the guts to get him a shock collar specially he still being small, but what about a spray bark collar?
The spray collars worked just as well shock collars in a study done a few years ago, and so are just as aversive to the dog. If you do not feel comfortable with an electric collar you should be equally as concerned about a spray collar. These are not appropriate tools for a puppy, or any dog in this type of situation.

Using these on a puppy is asking for trouble, and esp as he's displaying so much stress. Barking all day (...if that is indeed what he's doing) could be a sign of separation distressed...any long periods of vocalization are a ----huge---- cause for concern. If you just address the barking, you are not dealing with the underlying issues and the real problem could get worse and/or manifest itself in other ways. Please find a behavior consultant or a vet behaviorist and get in ASAP. Let us know if you need help finding someone.

I typically recommend adult dogs for people in your situation... puppies can be raised with busy schedules, but more days at home, daycare, and someone to let the puppy out should all be part of making it work. Yes those things are expensive, but as a temporary measure, are far less than ultimately having to do this almost every day if the issues are not addressed now.

You can do it! And we know you love him. Let's address his issues and make him feel better about being left alone.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be working from home the next 2 days and see if I can figure something out until then. The cats room is the room next to the bathroom where he stays at. Im thinking if he has access to only that room and the bathroom he might be okay. He loves to play with the cats and all that is in that room is the cats big cat tree and a futon. Then cats food is out of reach and I can set their litter where Jake cant get to it. He will have a little more room and will be able to play with the cats as well. During Lunch my husband will be coming home to check on him. Not sure if this will work or not but I will be placing him there while i'm working from home to see how he will react. What do you guys think about this ?

Also at the petstore we met another couple with a 12 week old golden retriever puppy. He was the same size as our 15 week old puppy but fluffy. Our golden was never really fluffy. Anyways we will be having a puppy play date for them as we both live in the same area of town. Jake will also be starting Puppy classes in exactly a month is when they start.

I understand what you are all saying about leaving a puppy alone for 8 hours. But just because I work 8 hours doesn't mean I can't own a puppy. I felt a little offended by some people. I am posting because obviously I am trying to get help. I would never get rid of my puppy. I am not trying to offend anyone just looking for advice not to get offended. I dont have the luxery of leaving my puppy less than that by himself as others do but he is a spoiled dog whenever we are home or on the weekends. Anywhere we go for the weekends he is always right there with us.

You can be offended if you want to be but I've been reading this this entire thread and no where did I see where someone told you to get rid of the puppy. I also did not see where anyone told you you should not have a puppy. If you were referring to my post, I'm not going to apologize for giving you my advice since you asked for advice - good luck with your puppy but if I were you, I'd be really diligent that you have some solution for this as you are in danger of being asked to get rid of your dog. Just because he doesn't cry with you in the house doesn't mean that he won't cry when you leave. If you are working from home, get your coat and your keys and sit outside your door for times to see if he's being quiet when he thinks you've left.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'm glad that you're asking for advice. Having a puppy can be a challenge if you work full time. I think that you've received a lot of good advice. I know that by your other posts Jake has escaped into the house on another occasion and had chewed the cabinet in your bathroom. (If I'm remembering correctly-I could be thinking of someone else) It would worry me if he were my puppy, he definitely wouldn't be getting free reign of my home. It has been brought up before, but crate training could be your saving grace right now. I think if Jake were given a crate he would find some comfort in it as a "den" once he adjusted. Puppy training classes now would be ideal. Could you look into something more immediate? If your husband comes home at lunch, give him his afternoon meal in a frozen kong to keep him busy.

Remember, a tired puppy is a good puppy. If you have to get up a few hours early and walk him, play with him, and generally wear him out, it may mean that he'll sleep all day. Is there someone that lives within your condo community that likes dogs? Maybe you could hire someone to check in on him. While the potty system is for convenience, he needs to experience the outside world, be stimulated, explore his environment, and be mentally stimulated. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would really reconsider crate training. If she's upset now, having more room to roam will only make her more insecure. A crate is not mean, it makes them feel safe. I can only imagine the damage she will do to your condo when she's older and bigger. My cousin's one year old golden chewed up their new oak stairs while they were at work! They are having a really hard time with him right now, for the same reasons as your puppy. They work all day and he's home alone, and they also don't crate train. They are trying to fix it with daycare and private training now, but it is harder because bad habits have already been established. Other dogs have been known to eat the walls and plaster because of boredom and separation anxiety. You wouldn't want her to eat something that could hurt her. And the home repair bills and vet bills would cost alot more than daycare or a sitter.
I really don't want you to think I'm criticizing you, I think its great you are concerned enough to find a forum and ask questions. Clearly you want the best for your puppy. I do believe people who work full time can absolutely have puppies, but you need to make a few sacrifices to get it to work, like crate training and pet sitters.:)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I say try it and see how it goes. I also leave the TV or radio on when I leave home.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts